comparing cave tubing companies

familycruzer

MMOORE:

GLAD U ALSO ENJOYED MAJ TOM ET AL . THEY WERE GREAT WEREN'T THEY ! FOR THOSE BELOW THAT R LOOKING FOR THE WEB SITE IT IS :

www.cave-tubing{dot}net AND THE EMAIL ADDY IS ALSO cave-tubing(dot)net

I think you have the address wrong. Isn't it www.belizecavetubing{dot}net? That's what worked for me.

FWIw, I think it is better to skip the restaurant stop. You can be quite sure they get kickbacks for taking people there. I would think, or hope, that most people rather spend their time in the city exploring and thus get a choice as to where to eat. Many people just plan ahead and take calzones from the pizzeria the night before in Ziploc bags for eating on the bus ride back.

Last year when I went cave-tubing.com stopped at a convenience store for us on the way to the cave tubing spot so we could pick up several packs of beer, so that was a nice tough.

If people are actually question how safe tubing is, then they seriously need to get out and experience life more. How much more mundane can one get?

We were just there, and Major Tom, Tom Jr., George, and Elvis really made our visit to Belize something to remember, for all the reasons others have stated already. Our friends went with Yhony, and we were all very happy with our choices, so I don't think you can go wrong with either one. We'll personally stick with Major Tom just because we were so impressed with our experience. We were tight on time, so we had our lunches on the bus. They had confirmed the order with the quantity and time twice, but the restaurant that provided them messed up and shorted us a few plates. There wasn't time to wait around, so Tom Jr. got on the phone and had Tom Sr. meet us in town with the missing lunches--and we still all caught the last tender with no problem. And those lunches were delicious! I can't imagine skipping yummy Belizean stewed chicken and rice & beans for calzones! Be sure to try the cashew wine, too.

I booked with Major Tom also last week for our family of 4.We will be on the RCCL Jewel of the Seas and in belize around Feb. 8 th 2008(day 5).I emailed him and he got back to me right away and told me a lot of stuff.I am not shopping around sending out lots of emails to other guides when everyone on this site recomends Major Tom, and i have not heard one complaint yet about him.I am so excited about doing the cave tubing.Basicly you get picked up and ride down the river on a tube then you stop for lunch and then get a ride back.There's not much use banging my head and shopping around asking a hundred questions to each operator when basicaly you get the same thing no matter who you use. Dale from Canada

Also,I forgot to mention if you go to You Tube and look up cave tubing Belize you will get some movies come up showing cave tubing.Makes me get really excited about cave tubing.

I have done the river tubing in Red Lake Falls Minnesota and also Apple River Wisconsin next to Minneapolis and they were both excellant.Escpecially with an extra inner tube holding a cooler full of beer.LOL Dale

I think you have the address wrong. Isn't it www.belizecavetubing{dot}net? That's what worked for me.

Major Tom actually has two websites now. The one you are referring to is his old webste, but now has new website cave - tubing dot net is even better and includes PayPal for payment in advance if you choose, however payment is NOT REQUIRED when you book if you prefger to wait till the end of the tour. Can't get much better in my eyes regarding payment arrangements and a GREAT TOUR to boot !

I booked with Major Tom also last week for our family of 4.We will be on the RCCL Jewel of the Seas and in belize around Feb. 8 th 2008(day 5).I emailed him and he got back to me right away and told me a lot of stuff.I am not shopping around sending out lots of emails to other guides when everyone on this site recomends Major Tom, and i have not heard one complaint yet about him.I am so excited about doing the cave tubing.Basicly you get picked up and ride down the river on a tube then you stop for lunch and then get a ride back.There's not much use banging my head and shopping around asking a hundred questions to each operator when basicaly you get the same thing no matter who you use. Dale from Canada

You have made a wise choice in my eyes..... but Major Tom does set the pace when it comes to knowledge and safety in the caves and while on the hike thru the rain forest before the actual cave tubing begins.....I think his service is what sets him apart from the others.

Do you actually get to meet Major Tom or do you only deal with his guides etc.Just wondering, as i would like to meet him and or have him as our guide.Maybe he is too big of an operator to go on the excursions everyday ??? Thanks

Do you actually get to meet Major Tom or do you only deal with his guides etc.Just wondering, as i would like to meet him and or have him as our guide.Maybe he is too big of an operator to go on the excursions everyday ??? Thanks

He is a "Real Person" and you WILL get him on your tour and will have a new friend from Belize : D

He also welcomes email if you have questions !

My wife and I used the crew from Cave-tubing.com last week while in port on the Carnival Valor. We were more than pleased with the service we received. Picked up at the port, given a tour of the city, took the time to stop at the store on the way to the caves, and even gave us a sample of their "cashew wine".

Once we arrived at the park, we were all given the chance to change at the large rest area before heading to the water. Walked the small hike through the forest, loaded everyone into the water and locked us all together, and we were on our way. ( Everyone was given a life vest, and it was your choice if you wanted to wear it or not. They said the water varied from 3 feet to as deep as 25 feet in a short distance)

While floating along the river, our guides actually had to help other tubers that were there with other companies that were all alone and trapped on rocks and trees. More than one 'lost soul' stated " I shoulda booked with you guys!"

If I ever return to Belize, I will be sure to give these guys another call. A#1 crew!

My wife and I used the crew from Cave-tubing.com last week while in port on the Carnival Valor. We were more than pleased with the service we received. Picked up at the port, given a tour of the city, took the time to stop at the store on the way to the caves, and even gave us a sample of their "cashew wine".

Once we arrived at the park, we were all given the chance to change at the large rest area before heading to the water. Walked the small hike through the forest, loaded everyone into the water and locked us all together, and we were on our way. ( Everyone was given a life vest, and it was your choice if you wanted to wear it or not. They said the water varied from 3 feet to as deep as 25 feet in a short distance)

While floating along the river, our guides actually had to help other tubers that were there with other companies that were all alone and trapped on rocks and trees. More than one 'lost soul' stated " I shoulda booked with you guys!"

If I ever return to Belize, I will be sure to give these guys another call. A#1 crew!

We too used the large restroom facility to change before and after, but that was not really something I found noteworthy on the tour... it was the professionalism, history/information, fun and constant reminder of safety being the topic before starting the hike thru the rain forest and again before entering the caves......I cannot see why anyone would want to opt out on wearing a floatation vest, much less being given the choice by a tour operator.....the waters in the cave can become deep in areas and I for one like to know I have something to keep me above water in the event a situation arose. As for "hooking together"... I saw no point in it as our group had 2 tour guides who kept the group organized very well without doing so. To me, being hooked together just made it look like you were being more rushed thru the tour from other groups we saw zipping past us.... and I also noticed that their guides were not even telling about the unique limestone formations and their history. Personally I think those folks missed out on the information portion which amazed me with our tour guides Major Tom and Tom Jr. Our group was much quieter in the caves compared to others that were slapping innertubes on the water and hollering while on their tour. We felt it not only disrupted the tour, but as Major Tom commented was a safety issue regarding the delicate structure of the caves.....Just my 2 cents on the topic, but sure was happy who I booked with regarding service, safety information and costs.

We just got back on the Valor, we used Cave Tubing.com and had my mother with us who cannot swim. I emailed them ahead of time and the guides took exceptional care of her during the trip. She is deathly afraid of water but felt secure due to their special attention to her. We all had a great time. FYI there are times in the dark caves that being linked together has its advantages...Thanks Evan, Louis and the others.:p

OK I have been river tubng, but never cave tubing. What exactly is it, are you undergrond the entire time. Or are the caves just partially underground, is it dark? How large are the caves? I mean is it quite large or just room enough for a person to squeeze through? And what is this about hiking through a forest? And how long is this "brisk hike?" Must you hike in order to do the cave tubing part?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Annieeee

We just got back on the Valor, we used Cave Tubing.com and had my mother with us who cannot swim. I emailed them ahead of time and the guides took exceptional care of her during the trip. She is deathly afraid of water but felt secure due to their special attention to her. We all had a great time. FYI there are times in the dark caves that being linked together has its advantages...Thanks Evan, Louis and the others.:p

Hmm and how dark are thiese caves? Sounds like fun, but also a bit scary.

Annieeee

OK I have been river tubng, but never cave tubing. What exactly is it, are you undergrond the entire time. Or are the caves just partially underground, is it dark? How large are the caves? I mean is it quite large or just room enough for a person to squeeze through? And what is this about hiking through a forest? And how long is this "brisk hike?" Must you hike in order to do the cave tubing part?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Annieeee

When entering the caves you are not necessarily underground as you are still at river level......and the openings are very large so no worries there. 30 - 45 minute informative walk thru the rain forest carrying your tubes. By no means is it exhausting, and the tubes are not heavy. Make certain to wear water shoes or sneakers as flip flops are NOT SUGGESTED due to possible slippery terrain thru the hike. The hike is necessary but I have seen sr. citizens make this walk w/out trouble and the guides will assist and carry tubes if necessary for you.

Hmm and how dark are thiese caves? Sounds like fun, but also a bit scary.

Annieeee

You will either have a head lamp or one that attaches to your floatation life vest. I have used both ways and prefer the attached to life vest as I feel better control. Not scary at all though. You will see fruit bats but they will not bother you. If your guides are good (as ours were) they will explain the history of limestone formations during your leisure tubing thru the caves......there is a "Sticky Post" at the top of the Belize Boards telling you about various vendors and I suggest reading this for better information when making your decison of who to book with. We have used two operators and found Major Tom to offer the best tour experience in our opinion. Check out the other opinions of the vendors from other posts on this board and you will make an intelligent decision I am sure not to mention a GREAT TIME on this tour !

I just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Glory. While in Belize, my wife and I did cave tubing with Major Tom. It was a truly memorable experience, and by far the highlight of our trip.

I had initially heard about Major Tom from CruiseCritic. I figured no one had anything bad to say about his tour group (********* Adventures), so he has to be doing something right. I booked a reservation a month in advance and then reconfirmed when we were within a week or so of the cruise.

On the day of our trip I was a little worried. We were running a little behind schedule and didn't get the earliest tenders off the ship (we were in group six). By the time we got to shore it was about an hour and a half after the ship had arrived.

Sure enough, though, Major Tom himself was waiting for us with a printed sign featuring my full name. We introduced ourselves and waited briefly for Major Tom to purchase the necessary permits for us to enter the national park that the cave system is located in. It was just me and wife for the tour today!

We walked a few blocks to his van. The van is a little beat-up (by American standards) but has good A/C and gets the job done. It was probably a half hour drive to get to the park. There is not much scenery along the way, but Major Tom pointed out certain things along the way.

After entering the park, we changed into our swim outfits in a clean public restroom facility. We left our valuables locked in Major Tom's van. He assured us that our things would be safe, and I believed him 100%. For one, there are numerous other cave tubing operators and vendors within short distance. Also, the park itself is guarded from the outside.

We picked out our tubes, and the adventure began! The hike through the rainforest was very easy, with just a few inclines. It could probably be done in 20 minutes, if you don't stop and look at the nature along the way. Major Tom gave great descriptions of a lot of the local plants and their medicinal uses. He pointed out the nest of a tarantula (we didn't see any) and various fruit trees, and then we had a snack of live termites! The termites are very small, about the size of an ant, and have a mint flavor, like spearmint gum. We also saw fruit bats.

When you arrive at the cave itself, it takes your breath away. That is my one regret, that I did not have a waterproof camera to capture at least some of the natural beauty. We all jumped into the water to try it out. Then we locked our feet together, and Major Tom guided us against the current into a pitch black cave. We got out in a small beach within the cave. We turned on our lights to take a look around. There are stalagtite formations all around, some of which have fallen over millions of years. Tom explained that this cave was used as a hideout by the Mayans (or pre-Mayans) at one point.

Then we got back on the tubes and started going downstream. In the next enclosed part of the cave, Tom guided us to a waterfall area. This is known as the Crystal Cathederal. Tom dunked us under the waterfall and we drank out of the fresh waters. This water first enters the main cave area at this point, so it is entirely safe to drink.

Along the way, we saw cruise ship passengers and people who booked with other operators. No one seemed to have the personalized tour that we had. Tom gives you the option of locking feet for the tour or free floating. We chose to lock feet and I feel that Tom was able to show us a lot of things along the way. For example, there is a 4-foot green water snake that we were looking for (but didn't see), and we saw a pretty large spider (about 2 1/2 inches long). Tom also explained the history of tourism at the caves, and he said that ten years ago one used to see monkeys and wild boars.

I don't know how long the cave tubing lasts (in the water), but I would guess around 45 minutes. Afterward, my wife bought a carved black slate Mayan-styled sacfrificial-type knife from a vendor along the path leaving the caves. We changed back into our street clothes. The next stop was a local restaurant called Pearl's. Before that, though, I asked Tom about liquor in Belize and what he recommends. Instead of just telling me, he took us to a local Chinese-run grocery store, where I purchased Belizean rum, blackberry wine, and cashew wine. True, I could probably buy all of this "inside the gates" of the pier terminal, but I appreciated the personalized touch and Tom's recommendations.

Next we stopped at Pearl's for a quick lunch. Pearl's (official name is P&L's Restaurant) is located in Hattieville, a small village named for victims of Hurricane Hattie which stuck Belize in 1961. We had a delicious meal of rice and beans with stewed chicken and potato salad. The speciality is the homemade bread pudding, though :) I would not recommend Pearl's for people who need to eat in fancy modern restaurants. Pearl's is a roadside open-air restaurant. They serve your meal on paper plates (if I remember correctly) with plastic silverware. It was very good food, though, and I think it's noble of Tom to expose tourists to local businesses that might be a little outside of the regular comfort zone. Thumbs way up for Pearl's.

We proceeded to drive back to the port, to finish off a nearly perfect day. Tom also offers multi-day packages for people who want to see more of Belize. He gave me pricing for a 7-night package called "Heart of the Mayan" that seems very educational and reasonably priced. I hope to visit Belize in the near future. I'm also inspired to learn about the Mayan culture and gods which Tom described for us. We even had an interesting conversation about the historical accuracy of Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto.'

Anyway, can't speak for cave-tubing.com, but I don't think you can go wrong with Major Tom. One thing that Tom mentioned is that all of his associates provide the same service as he does, including his son Tom Jr. So whether you get Tom himself, or one of his associates, rest assured you're going to get a great tour.

We went cave tubing October 9, 2007 off the Carnival Glory. We booked through the internet with Cave-Tubing.com. While I can't speak for Major Tom, we feel like we more than got our money's worth, and then some.

We were met promptly at the pier by Yhony Rosado, the owner of the tours. We were then taken on a short tour of Belize City while waiting for other part of the group. On the way to caves, we were treated to a surprise ATV experience. It was obvious they were new ATV's and the trails were great fun! During the cave tour, they would not let the women carry their tubes on the hike in, nor the short walk from the river back to the buses at the end. They said "women don't carry tubes on our tour!".

We also did two full caves-they were different types of caves-on the same river. We linked legs, also. We also had an individual tour guide for our group of six who kept us off the walls, and guided us through the rapids so we never had to get off our tubes. He name was Elvin and he was great.

The guides were very energetic and fun, but indeed gentlemen! They definitely know the caves and the rocks underneath the water, hence the motto:"Butts up!".

I would not worry about missing the boat as they were very aware of time and also had a stand-by bus in case it was needed.

I would definitely recommend cave-tubing.com to anyone. Also, from our experience, I would tell someone to just relax and enjoy and let the guides do all the worrying.

Annie, I don't know if you got your questions answered. The caves are large...hugh, but dark without the head lamps that they provide. Everyone has a headlamp. We did turn them off as a group once or twice to get the effect. Their website is cave-tubing.com. Excellent experience. By the way we saw the Carnival ship excursion arrive. They came on what looked like a school bus (no air conditioning) and only did one cave. We had an air conditioned bus and our guides were very entertaining and did two caves.

Find anyone but Major Tom!:mad: You'll be back to the port on time but most of your time is wasted because he is not organized at all. We got off the tender, no sign of Tom, a local pointed his son out. He had me as comming in on another ship and was not expecting me????For the next hour we went up and down the waterfront collecting people from the other ship, then people came walking up that wanted to join in, which meant we were PACKED on two vans and a station wagon. Some were tubing and zip liners, some had ordered lunch, all thrown together and off to the caves. The caves were nice and we always felt safe. At the end others were swimming and relaxinf in the river, we were rushed back to the parking lot so the ones that wanted to do the zip line would have time, then left standing in the parking lot while Tom carried them to the zip line. Then we were all taken to where lunch would be served to those that had ordered lunch and anyone else that wanted lunch. Wrong answer!! Most of us just wanted to get back to town to shop but had to wait for the few that wanted to eat. OK< I have to be hear might as well eat. NOPE, we only have enough for those who prepaid! Turned out not even enough for them, had to stop at another place to get them something to eat. The drive back to town was scarry:eek: Tom Jr. should not be allowed to drive. Just a little preplanning would have made this a nice trip, however until he gets his act together, find one of the others, not private Tom.

Can anyone compare these two companies for tubing?

I read that cavetubing does two caves but could not find out how many Major Tom does.

I just went with cave-tubing.com on10/17/07 I chose Yhonny, I read many reviews and chose him. I had 100 or more questions, I am petite and was concern with the linking ( no problem there) also with the long walk and most of all the safety in the caves. He emailed me right away and most of all called me on the phone and reassure me. He said, come to the place look at the river and if you change you mind, I will stay with you or have one of my guides stay with you, until the group comes back. That did it for me. I tell you I had a great time, my hsuband loved it as well and we had a good time on the way there and in the caves and on the way back. There were a few groups at the cave at the same time as us, and a couple were lsot from their group and the girl was crying and very upset. she asked me ifwe could pull her, I tried and couldn't and Yhony went and got her and her boyfriend, and starting calling out the name of the group, and said hey you are missiing a couple here, he paddle them to their group and then came back to us. Our group was never left alone, I felt safe lynked together and made jokes with the girl in front of me. My husband was behind me so I had his feet. we had a blast. The caves themselves are nice, the water is a little cold, maybe 70 degrees, It feels very peaceful in there and I did not want to end. Yhony is very funny yet responsible, his guides are great and do anything for you, and you can participate as much or as little as you want to. they do all the work for you. The guys with cave tubing they carry the tubes for some of us women. The other group I saw older women that can barely carry the tube and no one offer. Mind you ( I am going to be 40 this month and this is why we took the cruise) but they offer anyway. The also ofer little kids a piggy back ride. Too bad my hubby would not have gone for that..L0l any how I can not say enough good things about cave-tubing.com. see I felt like I had conquered something, since I do not like water, and I did it..Hope this help. Addie By the by Yhony also have atv tours lots of fun, but be prepared to get muddy. I did that as well.

Where do I find Yhoni? There are several sites on cavetubing.com, but none of them specifies Yhoni. He seems to be the go-to guy.

The website is Cave-tubing.com. Have fun. If you have any other questions jsut ask, addie

Where do I find Yhoni? There are several sites on cavetubing.com, but none of them specifies Yhoni. He seems to be the go-to guy.

The website is Cave-tubing.com. Have fun. If you have any other questions jsut ask, addie

Archived