Combination scuba bag???

Cruisebird

Would anyone know if there is a gear bag that you could wheel on an airplane as a carryon AND wheel or backpack to the different dive sites? We've used luggage to haul our gear onto the boat and then a mesh bag to carry it to our dives (no wheels and VERY heavy). I can find lots of wheeled bags and lots of backpack gear bags...just not one that might fit both needs.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Cruisebird

There are all types of dive bags with pull out handles, wheels, shoulder straps etc. Most of the online SCUBA operations have several pages of bags to choose from. Armor, and Akona are just two brands I know they offer, and there are many others. Just search for SCUBA Equipment, and you'll get several websites to choose from.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a smallish rolling carry-on that fits all my gear except my fins (and I clip them onto the bag when I go diving). It's easy to roll on and off dive boats - even the small open hulled ones, and I am always assured of having my dive gear with me while on the plane.

I have a soft-backed BC - I doubt I could fit my husband's rigid baced BC in the bag. I can easily pack my regulator and all the other stuff I need to dive in the bag - I just pack my fins into my checked baggage.

Thanks to airport thefts of dive gear mainly in Miami, I wouldn't pack my dive gear in a scuba type bag - especially if I was to check it in. We use a good quality rolling duffle, that I waterproofed twice. It will get wet and beat up on dive boats, but mine still looks good. I wash it up when we get home and it looks like new. Just make sure you get the measurements right to insure you can carry it on. Also, make sure it does not exceed the weight restrictions - mine is perfect, but some BC's are pretty heavy.

Thanks to airport thefts of dive gear mainly in Miami, I wouldn't pack my dive gear in a scuba type bag - especially if I was to check it in.

Can you elaborate on this airport theft of scuba bag?

I have not been to Miami. This year I finally bought all the scuba gears and have used a small 36" hockey roller bag. Adult hockey bags are mostly 40" long and 36" is for kids. It still seemed slightly big. But hockey bags are a lot cheaper than scuba bags and this worked this year. Anyway, this year I flew Toronto to San Juan (connecting in Charlotte on the way out, and Chicago back). No problem.

Next year we're thinking of going on a cruise out of Miami. How bad is the airport theft there?

Can you elaborate on this airport theft of scuba bag?

I have not been to Miami. This year I finally bought all the scuba gears and have used a small 36" hockey roller bag. Adult hockey bags are mostly 40" long and 36" is for kids. It still seemed slightly big. But hockey bags are a lot cheaper than scuba bags and this worked this year. Anyway, this year I flew Toronto to San Juan (connecting in Charlotte on the way out, and Chicago back). No problem.

Next year we're thinking of going on a cruise out of Miami. How bad is the airport theft there?

We had friends traveling with us to Bonaire on American Airlines - we all met up in Miami and took a flight to San Juan where we then took a plane to Bonaire in the evening. While in Miami, our friend's checked bag containing scuba gear was compromised (or so we suspect) - we got to Bonaire and his new regulator and computer were missing. When he went back to the airport in Bonaire, they said the theft probably happened in either Miami or San Juan - but most likely in Miami, were we had a longer layover. We were all told that the Miami airport area where most planes to the Caribbean check-in is really bad. Checked baggage is handled differently there and they have had a lot of issues with thefts - especially UW cameras and scuba gear - scuba pro was considered the #1 scuba brand theives were taking.

My reference is of 4 years ago, but I have had many friends who frequently travel through Miami Airport warn me to NEVER pack my scuba gear in an obvious scuba bag. It was recommended that if you must check-in your gear to never pack it all together - rather pack a little here and there in other bags.

Since I have experienced lost luggage to the islands - namely to Roatan and Tortola, I now never check-in my expensive scuba gear. Even when making connections in Dallas where I have lost bags before, I strongly encourage anyone traveling with scuba gear to carry it onto the plane. And if you have to check it in, do so in regular luggage.

Thanks to everyone on the scuba bag. This thread has me asking another question though. My DH and I (in our very limited diving experience) have carried on all our equipment except fins. It fits in a small carryon (BC included). Is this more of the norm or is checking gear more of the norm? I'm afraid that it won't get to my destination.

I think we're going to look into a mesh backpack type of bag for getting the gear on and off ships. (Thanks Bruce for Scuba Toys...found one there) and just continue to use our carryons for hauling it on and off the plane.

Thanks to everyone on the scuba bag. This thread has me asking another question though. My DH and I (in our very limited diving experience) have carried on all our equipment except fins. It fits in a small carryon (BC included). Is this more of the norm or is checking gear more of the norm? I'm afraid that it won't get to my destination.

I think we're going to look into a mesh backpack type of bag for getting the gear on and off ships. (Thanks Bruce for Scuba Toys...found one there) and just continue to use our carryons for hauling it on and off the plane.

For years we used to pack our gear in with our clothes and check it in at the airport. Then a couple of our bags didn't make our connecting flight thanks to weather related delays - they eventually caught up to us a day later in Cozumel so we were okay. But since that incident in Bonaire and the ease with which I am able to carry-on most of my gear, I no longer pack it in check baggage - except for my fins.

But if I didn't have to change planes, I might not care as much. I think bags in general are more apt to get lost, delayed and stolen when you have to change planes. Anytime I travel, I have at least one connecting flight - often two or even three, as we use frequent flyer miles to get to more exotic dive destinations.

We also used to pack a mesh bag for our gear - not any more. A mesh bag is great when you are at a dive resort and have only a short walk to the dive boat every morning. Because we choose to dive independently while on a cruise , we have to make our way to dive operations almost always by cab or a long walk. Shlepping bulky mesh shoulder bags or backpacks is a hassle - especially with wet gear. It's much easier to simply roll your stuff to and from the dive shop and it's never been a problem to roll it right onto the diveboat. That said, some folks have those huge rolling dive bags (many are hard sided) made for cold water gear, that do at times get in the way on dive boats where storage is limited. Small boats can't accommodate them, so you will be forced to leave it behind in the shop - something I would not want to do! But they do an awesome job protecting your gear.

So, I suppose only you can decide what works best for you - if you have no problems hauling your stuff in that mesh bag, why stop? I got tired of it.

Sailfish....that's what we were looking to do. We also book independent tours on cruises and have been hauling a bag that didn't even have shoulder straps! Talk about killing your arms/shoulders!!!

I was told/read that dive boats don't allow bags with wheels on them. That's why we were considering the backpack type of bag. I think ideally we would have a carry-on size bag that we could take on the plane AND roll to the dive shop or boat for the dive. I just can't seem to find a roller bag that meets the carry-on requirements AND will hold my fins also. I can find roller bags...and mesh bags that meet the requirements. Just not a combo.

I've also looked at the rolling duffel bags, but they seem to be too large also.

Sounds like you might have found such a bag?

Archived