snorkeling in Cozumel

giraffe1

My family is going on the western Carib 5 day cruise in dec with Royal Carib. We are novice snorklers. There are many snorkleing adventures to choose from. Does anyone have a favorite? More interested in snorkeling than any of the extras.

My wife and I did our first snorkeling in Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel (short taxi ride) in 95. We rented our equipment right there and snorkeled off the beach. We loved it so much it inspired us to eventually become certified scuba divers.

We were in Cozumel on the Liberty of the Seas last month. Our son who is 21 did his first snorkeling at the same place. At first he had some difficulty getting used to using the snorkel but after that he too loved it.

He also swam with the dolphins at the same park (Dolphin Discovery.com). Everyone who does this loves it. I went to the Tulum Ruins so I didn't get the chance. Maybe next time. If you do it make sure it's the royal swim. It has the most interaction with the dolphins. We booked ours directly with Dolphin Discovery. If you go with the ship's dolphin excursion make sure it is comparable to the royal swim offered by Dolphin Discovery.

On our 3/06 Cruise to Cozumel we did the Palancar Reef excursion. It was really great and only around $45 as I recall. A truly wonderful time with some great snorkeling.

In my opinion Stingray City is a must do in Grand Cayman. When we were there last month I couldn't talk my kids into doing it.(the steve irwin thing). Do the combo barrier reef and nearby stingray city. The water at the reef is only around 12ft deep and you'll get to see and maybe touch as we did, the resident nurse shark and moray eel. A great time.

Good Luck,

Jimmers

Carnival Imagination 1995

Royal Caribbean Mariner 2006

Royal Caribbean Navigator 2007

Royal Caribbean Liberty 2007

Jewel of the Seas 2008

Archived