Cure for Breast Cancer Walk

lateblumer

I recently read the Princess Patters for the Caribbean Princess cruise in June 2007. During the cruise, they had a 5K walk on the ship and there was a donation made to the Breast Cancer Foundation. Does anyone know if this is done every week or was it a one-time thing?

Thanks for the info. My mother died of breast cancer shortly after I took her on the Grand Princess a few years ago and she said it was the best week of her life, so even though I've had a knee replacement, I thought I would honor my mother by sucking up my knee pain and completing this walk on my 30 Sep Caribbean Princess cruise.

Oh brother, why do they have to do this? I'm a breast cancer survivor, but I hate to be reminded of it every place I go. I like to go on vacation to forget about everything that is going on in my life. Now they are taking that away from me by bringing it up on my cruise. Obviously, I agree that it is a good cause. Just leave it out of my vacation!

We just participated in the walk on the Tahitian and talked with the ACD who organized the event for us. The walk is being done on every ship in the fleet, once per cruise. The goal is to raise $1 Million this year. Apparently, they're currently planning on reprising the project next year, with the proceeds going to Prostate Cancer (at least that's what our ACD said she understood to be the current plan.)

I think it's a wonderful initiative. My one suggestion to the ACD was that they needed to promote it better on board the ship. There were only 30 of us who showed up. I thought that was a pretty poor turnout, but she said that it was the largest she'd had by far. And, afterward, we were questioned by several people who had seen us all walking the jogging track asking what it was about. Many of them said they would have participated, too, if they'd known about it.

If you're aboard ship, check the Patter and/or check with the Purser's Desk or any of the Cruise Director staff; they should be able to tell you where and when the event will be held.

How do they raise the funds? I participate in the Avon Walk for Breast cancer in the Boston area, and I am required to raise a minimum of $1800 to take part in the walk.

I did this on the Dawn when we cruised to Alaska this summer. You provide the donation. I believe the minimum to participate was something like $30. If you know in advance you are going to do this, you could probably raise funds from family and friends in advance to be donated when you participate in the walk onboard. Whatever you donate is charged to your shipboard account.

We just got off the Crown and did the "On Deck for Breast Cancer Cure" walk (or something like that). The minimum donation was $15 per person and you receive a baseball cap.

I agree that the turnout was quite low.

It is a 5K but they don't keep track of how many laps you do and you can walk as little as you want.

We received an annouoncement in our mailbox about the walk.

Oh brother, why do they have to do this? I'm a breast cancer survivor, but I hate to be reminded of it every place I go. I like to go on vacation to forget about everything that is going on in my life. Now they are taking that away from me by bringing it up on my cruise. Obviously, I agree that it is a good cause. Just leave it out of my vacation!

Obviously it is a great cause! On a recent cruise, they did have a cancer walk, and I thought it was a little strange to have something like this on the ship. Although it was done very low key and very tasteful, I did think it was a bit out of place.

I'm very sorry you feel this way. My sister is battling breast cancer right now and I hope she will one day be a "survivor". It's because of all the attention that breast cancer gets and all the money that is raised that many women can call themselves "survivors". I'm happy for you. Now let's keep raising money so that I can be happy for my sister, too!

I am all for Princess doing the good corporate citizen thing, but hubby and I had a thought when we saw them do this fundraising on our cruise.

Why wouldn't Princess want to raise their public profile as a supporter of breast cancer by donating $5 per passenger each year to breast cancer reseach in the USA?

If they buried $5 into my cruise cost I'd never see it (and they wouldn't have to tell me), but Princess would look quite amazing donating millions a year to this cause -and on top of that, announcing to each cruise that (for 2000 passengers) "this cruise, Princess is donating a half a million dollars to breast cancer" would give them much more PR status (in my humble opinion).

Imagine, a half million dollars for every ship, every week, for a year - how much $$ that would add up to!

I was quite surpised to see a "fundraiser" on the ship. And, my surprise has nothing to do with the cause. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and a regularly donate to breast cancer research in Canada.

Again, please don't flame me for my opinion.

Judy

Sorry, I meant half a million per year per ship

Judy

I am all for Princess doing the good corporate citizen thing, but hubby and I had a thought when we saw them do this fundraising on our cruise.

Why wouldn't Princess want to raise their public profile as a supporter of breast cancer by donating $5 per passenger each year to breast cancer reseach in the USA?

If they buried $5 into my cruise cost I'd never see it (and they wouldn't have to tell me), but Princess would look quite amazing donating millions a year to this cause -and on top of that, announcing to each cruise that (for 2000 passengers) "this cruise, Princess is donating a half a million dollars to breast cancer" would give them much more PR status (in my humble opinion).

Imagine, a half million dollars for every ship, every week, for a year - how much $$ that would add up to!

I was quite surpised to see a "fundraiser" on the ship. And, my surprise has nothing to do with the cause. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and a regularly donate to breast cancer research in Canada.

Again, please don't flame me for my opinion.

Judy

Archived