Bottled Water

littlemommabj

Well, I was thinking I would take a case of bottled water and slap a luggage ticket on it and call it a day. :p

Now after reading all of the postings here regarding the bottled water and the ship's tap water, I'm not sure what I should do.:confused:

I live in Wilmington,Delaware, and I do drink my tap water, although it is flavored with crystal light pink lemonade:D , so I can't taste anything bad.

Sometimes the water is HEAVILY chlorinated here, and I can smell it when I take a shower, and I can smell it in my coffee.....not pleasant....:eek:

Honestly I do prefer the taste of bottled water, but it is expensive to buy since I drink 8 glasses a day, so I use the tap and I put in my crystal light pink lemonade.:)

Perhaps I will take a Brita pitcher and filter in my luggage, and that may be the easiest solution...;)

I'm a huge fan of bottled water when I travel, so when we sailed out of Miami I called one of those places that delivers gifts to pax on the ship and sent myself a gift. My gift was a case of bottled water and a 1/2 case of Diet Coke for Hubs. It was festively wrapped and delivered to our cabin before we even arrived. I enjoyed paying the extra few bucks to have someone else take care of this for me.

I couldn't find anyone in Seattle to do this for me on our last cruise, so we took our own bottles (full) and then filled them with the melted ice water in our ice bucket. The water was fine and we didn't have to bother with making a recycle center in our cabin!

Hope this helps...

Bon Voyage!

4 Cruisers, I would love to know which bottled water you drink. I too suffer the dreaded cankles! :) We just came home from a 4 nighter on the Pearl. DH is convinced I might have heart prob since he paid attention to my ankles. They were huge! (I don't think it's my heart, but rather salt) I try to drink the bottled water only, but they only had expensive Evian (which I really don't care for). Their food tasted yummy, which means they prob had extra salt in it. But, I love water, and constantly have my glass filled at meals. So, I think it could have been whatever you were talking about in the water. Now, I also want to let everyone know. My ankles only swell when I cruise. I never salt my food. I drink lots of water at meals from the ship. Go figure....

4 Cruisers, I would love to know which bottled water you drink. I too suffer the dreaded cankles! :) We just came home from a 4 nighter on the Pearl. DH is convinced I might have heart prob since he paid attention to my ankles. They were huge! (I don't think it's my heart, but rather salt) I try to drink the bottled water only, but they only had expensive Evian (which I really don't care for). Their food tasted yummy, which means they prob had extra salt in it. But, I love water, and constantly have my glass filled at meals. So, I think it could have been whatever you were talking about in the water. Now, I also want to let everyone know. My ankles only swell when I cruise. I never salt my food. I drink lots of water at meals from the ship. Go figure....

I have the same problem.. and I don't drink the ship's water. I'm wondering if they highly salt their food in the preparation stage. It makes me wary of cruising any more.

I've read over the past year that other passengers have the same problem. I sure wish someone would investigate this because it is a health problem. My blood pressure soared with the water weight gain and only returned to normal after taking a diuretic.

I have the same problem.. and I don't drink the ship's water. I'm wondering if they highly salt their food in the preparation stage. It makes me wary of cruising any more.

I've read over the past year that other passengers have the same problem. I sure wish someone would investigate this because it is a health problem. My blood pressure soared with the water weight gain and only returned to normal after taking a diuretic.

Did you fly there and eat on a plane? I don't think the ship food is that highly salted or stick to simple foods like broiled chicken. On Planes they over salt the food because the higher you go the less you taste buds can taste...

Well, I was thinking I would take a case of bottled water and slap a luggage ticket on it and call it a day. :p

Now after reading all of the postings here regarding the bottled water and the ship's tap water, I'm not sure what I should do.:confused:

I live in Wilmington,Delaware, and I do drink my tap water, although it is flavored with crystal light pink lemonade:D , so I can't taste anything bad.

Sometimes the water is HEAVILY chlorinated here, and I can smell it when I take a shower, and I can smell it in my coffee.....not pleasant....:eek:

Honestly I do prefer the taste of bottled water, but it is expensive to buy since I drink 8 glasses a day, so I use the tap and I put in my crystal light pink lemonade.:)

Perhaps I will take a Brita pitcher and filter in my luggage, and that may be the easiest solution...;)

I am going to have to move to Delaware if their water is flavored with crystal light lemonade...that is some state perk!

salt it not the only thing that can cause water gain or ankle swelling. many seasoning can have the same affect. i never use salt...my ankle swell any time i am traveling. long plane rides or bus rides (as in excursions) just the sitting can cause the ankle and lower legs to swell. different foods with seasonings i am not use to. climate changes....the female body is stange and can get stranger as we age. (no, i don't have heart issues..blood pressure is usually on the low side)

too much chili powder can do it for me, we won't even discuss the bloating from MSG. food allergies are bad for water weight.

just saying that when you only blame salt or the water, it could be something else all together.

Someone asked for the site for the place I used to order water in Miami. I can't seem to find their website again, but the phone number is

800-882-9707. They did a great job and things were so festively wrapped! Unfortunately they do not serve every port. Enjoy!

Bon Voyage...

Did you fly there and eat on a plane? I don't think the ship food is that highly salted or stick to simple foods like broiled chicken. On Planes they over salt the food because the higher you go the less you taste buds can taste...

That's the first question my doctor asked. But no I drove, so it's really a mystery.

And... as far as sitting.. I didn't do much of that at all. I walk so much on my cruises.. I never take the elevators, and I swim in the ocean. I just don't understand why I get such awful swelling only when I cruise.

i use the stairs, never the elevators.....on the ship, i don't sit. hate going to the shows (back problems, easier to stand). but the food is richer and the chefs use seasonings i may not know about. last cruise i only had 3 alcoholic drinks..so the booze doesn't do it. in humid climates it's worse, dry climates you can hardly notice the swelling. with the female body, there is no telling.

Sorry, I just now saw your post! I have found that Evian is the worst for me! If you look at the sodium content, you'll see why! I have found that good old Ralph's own brand of purified water works great for me (don't know if you have a Ralph's?). Watch out for Dansini...it has minerals added. Aquafina doesn't, so that's another good one. Funny, but one of the Italian waters (can't remember the name at the moment) has on it's bottle "Sodium free." When we were in Italy and I was desperate to find water....I ended up at the pharmacy and bought a bottle of distilled used for baby formula! Italian bottled water back then was loaded with sodium! I had run out of my case (my husband and sons helped me drink them, the little stinkers). Only those of you who have had the extreme swelling could understand the urgency I was experiencing! By the time we got to customs in L.A., the skin on my ankles was so tights and red, it looked like it was going to pop! We walked all over Italy, France, Turkey, etc. that trip, so I know lack of exercise wasn't the culprit! The heat of summer does seem to make things much worse!

Great topic. I was happy to find out why they request that you take

a clean glass each time and must confess, that I don't always follow

the rules:o Since i have a weakened immune system, I learned an

important lesson....thank you.

I also have a problem with swelling and cankles, but it is not just when

cruising. Have had numerous tests and no answers. It is annoying, to say

nohting of trying to figure what shoes will fit, when. Only another sweller

will be able to relate.

Anyway, to the original poster, bring your water and enjoy your trip.

Archived