Safety Harness for airline flight?

sandy toes

I have read about a harness that you can use for airling flights. I cannot locate the info and will have two 4yr flying in Nov. Does anyone have any info on it? Have you used one? Think it will work with active 4 yr olds? Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is one I just got.

http://store.kidsflysafe.com/product/show/5027

Looks like at 4 it's not needed according to their FAQ though. Hope this helps.

Thank you. The one is very small and I think I will get him one. The other one is very tall and I think I can pass. This was not the harness I had seen before but it does look like it is very supportive. Again thanks.

I just wanted to point out that if your son is less than 40lbs, and you'll use a carseat at your destination, you might just want to bring the carseat you already have. This gadget is not as secure and costs $75, something that can ONLY be used in an airplane. It only goes to 44lbs.

I wrote an entirely non-commercial article on flying with children that appeared in a local expat newsletter. I fly alone with my three between Europe and California about twice a year, plus shorter trips in between. I updated it and you might find it helpful, especially tips for getting your carseat through the airport.

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Have a good flight!

I just wanted to point out that if your son is less than 40lbs, and you'll use a carseat at your destination, you might just want to bring the carseat you already have. This gadget is not as secure and costs $75, something that can ONLY be used in an airplane. It only goes to 44lbs.

I wrote an entirely non-commercial article on flying with children that appeared in a local expat newsletter. I fly alone with my three between Europe and California about twice a year, plus shorter trips in between. I updated it and you might find it helpful, especially tips for getting your carseat through the airport.

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Have a good flight!

THANK YOU for posting the link. Great article.

My son, currently 35 months old, has been on at least five airplane round-trips, maybe six or seven (I can't remember).

From experience, as a young baby he was fine. We just held him and he slept most of the time. By the time he hit about 14 months old all bets were off! He has had good trips and bad trips. Sometimes he will fall asleep, other times he is an absolute terror and I'm afraid the other passengers will revolt.

Hubby refuses to bring the car seat on the flight. He thinks it is too restrictive for a 3 to 6 hour flight (depending on our destination). We have never tried actually strapping him down in a car seat during a flight, although, I have suggested it many times to my other half.

Personally, I can't see putting money out for a harness. By 4 years-old the child knows about sitting in a seat with a seat belt on. I'd just go with the flow and hope for the best.

Cheryl

I do appreciate the advise of others. This will be my first time traveling with BOTH 4 yr olds at the same time. We have sailed home ports and drove so flights with 2 was not an issue before now. I have had the GD at 10 mo and 3yr on a plane but that seemed easy (1 to 1) as opposed to this time two 4 yr olds to me!!!! I am going with the booster car seats and lap belts. They will need the seats for the ride to MIA from FLL so we will be bringing them. It will make them a bit more comfortable as they are used to being in them equals being good (at least I hope).

• 2 weeks later...

I got this strap that uses the LATCH hooks on the carseat and wraps it around your carry-on. It's not tippy at all. We have only tried it out in the driveway, but will be using it in Nov. I've seen them for sale on Ebay but I just had my Dad make one. 3 D-rings and some nylon straps.

IMG_0002sm.jpg.862dae3e443f4cf30633d201feebcc6d.jpg

Archived