From luxury to kid cruising

JanR

OK,

After enjoying three wonderful cruises on Regent, we have fully exhausted our tokens with grandma watching the kids while we go cruising.

Thus, if we are to cruise any more for the next 5-10 years, it looks like we're going to have to bring the kids along. On our salary, it's no more Regent (or Disney which is priced almost similarly) for the short term.

So, we need some help. We are looking at taking a 6-8 day cruise in June 2008 with a family of five (13, 6, & 5 years-old). Geographically we're looking at the Carribean for our cruise.

Here's the questions:

Which cruiseline?

What is the best configuration for cabins? One large stateroom? Two seperate staterooms with adjoining rooms? Two seperate staterooms with rooms across the hall (allowing mom and dad to have ocean view/balcony?)

How small are the inside state rooms?

We've read the CC editor's comments, but which ships have the best activities for the above age groups?

How does the soda cards and other additonal pays work? (After sailing Regent, this is going to be a new experience for us)

Thanks much in advance for your sage advice.

v/r

Jan and Tracey

OK,

After enjoying three wonderful cruises on Regent, we have fully exhausted our tokens with grandma watching the kids while we go cruising.

Thus, if we are to cruise any more for the next 5-10 years, it looks like we're going to have to bring the kids along. On our salary, it's no more Regent (or Disney which is priced almost similarly) for the short term.

So, we need some help. We are looking at taking a 6-8 day cruise in June 2008 with a family of five (13, 6, & 5 years-old). Geographically we're looking at the Carribean for our cruise.

Here's the questions:

Which cruiseline?

What is the best configuration for cabins? One large stateroom? Two seperate staterooms with adjoining rooms? Two seperate staterooms with rooms across the hall (allowing mom and dad to have ocean view/balcony?)

How small are the inside state rooms?

We've read the CC editor's comments, but which ships have the best activities for the above age groups?

How does the soda cards and other additonal pays work? (After sailing Regent, this is going to be a new experience for us)

Thanks much in advance for your sage advice.

v/r

Jan and Tracey

From all of my research to date, and some past experience, I think you should heavily gear yourself towards Royal Caribbean. Good for your age of kids. A slight notch above some of the others. RCCL looks to be a great cruise for an experienced cruiser with family. I have not been on Princess before but I have heard positive comments about them too. I, personally, have been very loyal to Celebrity. I have yet to cruise with my three-year old son though. So can't really give you a true thought about cruising with kids on Celebrity.

Sorry I can't help you with cabin selection but I know there are many threads regarding most of these topics if you do a search on Cruise Critic.

Cheryl

Archived