Beginner wants to snorkel with the sea lions in curacao-advice please

vacation fool

I have snorkeled one time in my life at Hanauma Bay 20 years ago. I was in water that was not over my head and i did fine. I really want to do the swim and snorkel with the sea lions in curacao. The whole thing lasts about 30 minutes according to the website. Do you more experienced snorkelers think that if i get a mask and snorkel and practice in my pool that i will be ok to do this? I can swim but am not what i would call a strong swimmer or anything. I really want to do this, so your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated:) Thanks

Hey there,

I still haven't done the seal snorkel (I live in Curacao) but I'd be a little concerned about doing it if I wasn't quite confident in the water with the snorkel etc. The great thing about seals (and the reason I know I will do the seal snorkel at some point) is that they're fast, playful creatures. Of course, this is based on watching them playing and watching tv shows with them on. But my opinion is that the experience would be greatly improved if you're able to go underwater with them and, basically, act like a seal.

Would training in the pool help? Definitely. You want to get used to swimming on the surface and then diving down with the snorkel on. You can either keep the snorkel in your mouth and blow the water out when you get topside again, or you can take it out while you're underwater and just put it back in when you get back to the top. (A lot of people think that keeping it in is the more "professional" thing to do but the last thing you want to be doing after you've been holding your breath for that long is to come back up and have to force a load of air out; I recommend taking it out unless you're only underwater for less than 30 seconds at a time.) Practice swimming lengths with the mask and snorkel on. Practice just sitting at the bottom of the pool holding your breath - it will all help your comfort level when you get in there with the seals.

But do me one favour: when you practice any of this stuff please have someone watching you and don't go for any world records. I know it sounds like simple stuff but safety first. Please.

Lastly, if you find that you suddenly love diving underwater and holding your breath and want to know more or get more training tips, go to www.deeperblue.net or any other freediving website or forum.

Have fun with those seals!

El Gordo.

Hey there,

I still haven't done the seal snorkel (I live in Curacao) but I'd be a little concerned about doing it if I wasn't quite confident in the water with the snorkel etc. The great thing about seals (and the reason I know I will do the seal snorkel at some point) is that they're fast, playful creatures. Of course, this is based on watching them playing and watching tv shows with them on. But my opinion is that the experience would be greatly improved if you're able to go underwater with them and, basically, act like a seal.

Would training in the pool help? Definitely. You want to get used to swimming on the surface and then diving down with the snorkel on. You can either keep the snorkel in your mouth and blow the water out when you get topside again, or you can take it out while you're underwater and just put it back in when you get back to the top. (A lot of people think that keeping it in is the more "professional" thing to do but the last thing you want to be doing after you've been holding your breath for that long is to come back up and have to force a load of air out; I recommend taking it out unless you're only underwater for less than 30 seconds at a time.) Practice swimming lengths with the mask and snorkel on. Practice just sitting at the bottom of the pool holding your breath - it will all help your comfort level when you get in there with the seals.

But do me one favour: when you practice any of this stuff please have someone watching you and don't go for any world records. I know it sounds like simple stuff but safety first. Please.

Lastly, if you find that you suddenly love diving underwater and holding your breath and want to know more or get more training tips, go to www.deeperblue.net or any other freediving website or forum.

Have fun with those seals!

El Gordo.

Thank you for all the tips! I have til 2009 to practice so i will build up to it. Why don't u try it since u live there and report back?:D

Archived