Tender at the ports

Donna573

Ok, all of you seasoned cruisers are going to get a laugh out of this one, but....what does it mean when someone asks or talks about tender at the ports? I've seen this word used in a few posts, but can't really understand what they're talking about. We will be visiting Nassau, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. :confused:

It means the ship can't get in close enough to a dock likely because the water is too shallow as is the case in Cabo San Lucas; the "tenders" are actually smaller boats which take you from the gangplank of the ship to shore. They are free and supplied by the cruiseliner.

Don't feel bad, before I read about it on these boards, I had no clue what it was either !:p

Some of the ports do not have a pier for large ships to dock, so the ships have to Anchor out at sea. Then the ships will drop a few of their small boats to shuttle over the passengers to land. Some ports provide their own boats to help off load all of the passengers and also bring them back to the ship.

Fred

It means the ship can't get in close enough to a dock likely because the water is too shallow as is the case in Cabo San Lucas; the "tenders" are actually smaller boats which take you from the gangplank of the ship to shore. They are free and supplied by the cruiseliner.

Don't feel bad, before I read about it on these boards, I had no clue what it was either !:p

Oh, ok - - glad I asked. Thanks so much for your response. I seem to learn something new every day :)

Dumb question from me, but how easily accessible are the tenders? We have 2 in our party with mobility issues (one elderly, one w/an artificial leg), and that was something my DH asked that I couldn't answer...

My wife has a Scooter in the past they have very kind they even carried the scooter on the boat for us. we took a HC exit to get on the tender and they let us board first... we had to wait for our Number to be called first but when our turn came we boarded first, also we were the first off.when you get on board ask at the pursers desk.

Archived