Shore Excursions-Help!

lodrkd

Look on the internet to see where you can pick up local tours, they will usually by on the quayside or very close. Bear in mind that these people have a very short season and must give value for money.

In Juneau, Alaska, in August, to the Mendenhall Glacier, we caught the local 'express' bus, 15 minutes from the quay for $12 each round trip, much more from the cruise ship.

If you want 'specials' such as helicopters you will probably have to book on the ship, otherwise, you can save an awful lot of money by booking locally.

Another example,, we paid $79 each for a four hour tour of the Yukon, locally in Skagway, some on our cruise paid $169 each(not with NCL, but I doubt if there is much difference) to go to the same place by train and return by bike, down hill!

The tour firm carried full insurance to get you to your next destination in the event of a breakdown.

In Italy, we went to Pisa by local train, another excellent saving!

Bear in mind that the cruise ships need to mark up the prices by, I would guess at least 30%, there will always be a cheaper alternative!

We are cruising on 12/8 on NCL Majesty. Our ship will stop in Cozumel, Grand Caymen and Key West. Any suggestions on what we should do for our shore excursions? Thanks!!:D

On Our Disney cruise a few months ago we went to these same ports. As others have said, research - research research and find what is right for YOU!

I will tell you what we did.

AT Cozumel, we took a taxi to Chankanaab National Park. Here we did the dolphin encounter. Then we enjoyed the park all day, LOVED it!

Grand cayman we did the land tour (including turtle farm) and Sting Ray city tour. We booked through Captain marvin's.

Key West again we did things on our own. We went to the pirate museum and to the aquarium[b].[/b]

We were in Cozumel last December, and because of weather, our original excursion had been cancelled, so we just all jumped in a cab and went to Chankanaab Park. I got to meet a dolphin with my daughter and our friends' daughter, our friends went snorkeling with their own gear, then one of our friends and my husband rented some scuba gear and went for a dive. We all had a blast and it was our daughter's favorite day... but then, what other port could compete with getting kissed by a dolphin? ha ha ha

I haven't been to Grand Cayman, but I did a stop in Key West a looooooong time ago. I don't know if they're still there, but there was a place that made hand made sandals to order. I wore mine for years! There are also some sites related to Ernest Hemingway if you're interested. Oh... and have some conch chowder. Mmmmmm!

Archived