Wetsuit??? How heavy?

S&M in Pgh

I used to dive wearing only a shortie, but now after some serious knee reconstruction, I feel I need some extra padding and insulation there.

I was never really cold in the shortie, even at 100 ft in 80 degree water (I sweat like a pig when I exercise) so I think 3mm might be too much. But is 0.5mm or 1mm enough? I only dive when I am in the Caribbean so the water is never less than 75.

Mike

I used to dive wearing only a shortie, but now after some serious knee reconstruction, I feel I need some extra padding and insulation there.

I was never really cold in the shortie, even at 100 ft in 80 degree water (I sweat like a pig when I exercise) so I think 3mm might be too much. But is 0.5mm or 1mm enough? I only dive when I am in the Caribbean so the water is never less than 75.

Mike

Hi,

I dive in 80 degrees with a 3mm full wetsuit. I sweat watching a beach show on TV and dive in 48 degrees with a 7mm with 3mm gloves and hoodie. With the new hyperstretch materials, they're much more flexible and wick very well.

Randall

Randall has it right. A 3mm full suit not only gives your knees some protection, especially with knee pads, but also provides some compression on knees that have had work done on them. I've had both my knees done, and my Parkway suit suit helps maintain an even strain on my knees. It also packs nicely, without much bulk, and I never get cold in the Caribbean, Red Sea, or South Pacific, where I now kind of limit my diving too.;)

We dive in Caribbean frequently and wear diveskins however the dive leaders are usually wearing 3mm wetsuits. You might want to consider a 3/2mm full wetsuit. They of course have 3mm thick foam for the torso and 2mm for the arms and legs. They usually have knee pads molded in for more knee protection.

We wear Henderson wetsuits exclusively because of their quality and their fit. There are a number of other good wetsuits though. BTW I am not affiliated with any manufacturer of dive equipment nor any dive shop. The Henderson recommendation comes from getting years of comfortable use from their products. :-)

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy that next dive.

If you're just looking to pad the knee, why not just by a neoprene sleeve for it? You can get them at the sports shop, where they have ankle braces, etc. If you're used to a shortie, I wouldn't switch, you'll probably just be uncomfortable.

Archived