Scuba and Tipping

wezhogan

I have booked dives myself for my upcoming cruise in GC and Coz. This will be my first open water dives after passing the certification last month and I am really looking forward to it. Because I am still new I am paying extra in Coz for an experienced DM to be my "buddy". I am hoping that by having a personal DM on this excursion I will learn some good tips. I know that a DM will be in the water with whatever size group is diving but having a personal one makes me more comfortable.

My question is this: Who do I tip?

In GC I am just doing the regular diving with the group and no personal DM. Do I tip the boat crew and the DM here?

In Coz, since I am paying for the personal DM do I still tip them or just tip the boat crew? Do I tip the DM that accompanies the group in Coz even though I will have a personal DM?

I have booked dives myself for my upcoming cruise in GC and Coz. This will be my first open water dives after passing the certification last month and I am really looking forward to it. Because I am still new I am paying extra in Coz for an experienced DM to be my "buddy". I am hoping that by having a personal DM on this excursion I will learn some good tips. I know that a DM will be in the water with whatever size group is diving but having a personal one makes me more comfortable.

My question is this: Who do I tip?

In GC I am just doing the regular diving with the group and no personal DM. Do I tip the boat crew and the DM here?

In Coz, since I am paying for the personal DM do I still tip them or just tip the boat crew? Do I tip the DM that accompanies the group in Coz even though I will have a personal DM?

It's a personal thing, but in most cases when I go on a trip like your first one, if the crew are helpful, friendly and provide good service, I'll give the CAPTAIN $20. It's traditional that you tip the captain and he pays out to the crew. The exception is if there's a tip jar then the money goes in there.

For a personal dive master, I'd just tip them directly as they should be taking personal care of you. If they're there just for the dive and the crew is taking care of your topside needs, I'd probably tip $10 directly to the dive master and $10 to the Captain (remember there's a lot of work going on before, between and after the dives).

Other's may tip differently but I was taught $20 per trip (if you figure $100 per trip, including tanks and weights, $20 is $20%, the same amount as I tip a waiter/waitress for good service).

Randall

wezhogan,

Your're paying extra for a personal divemaster, so if you're satisfied after the dive, for sure I'd slip him a $20. The boat driver, and deck hands are another story. I always slip the guy humping around the deck a $10., and if the the captain is someone else, it depends on the interaction between the divers, and the captain, and the total number of divers onboard. Just because there's a container for tips doesn't mean you can't slip the people you feel gave you special service some bucks.

I do a whole lot of underwater video, so the guy that takes care of my camera and lights, for sure I'll tip. However, tipping isn't automatic. These people take out divers for diving, and receive a salary for that service. Tip when you feel that service is above and beyond.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be so quick on the salary... DM's at many resorts don't get paid, except tips, or make $1-3 a head +tips. Boat captains, depending on where you're at can make $10-20 a day... a salary, I guess, but unless the captain or DM is a real downer, I'd toss a few bucks their way. If the captain is good/lucky and finds a prime spot, or the DM finds some good critters (or whatever you're hoping they do) be generous. What may be a few bucks for us is means a lot to most of the crew.

My wife and I usually tip from 5$ to 10$ a tank for the boat and crew. We never use a DM but if we did, I would tip 10$ per dive or more if you really enjoyed the dive(s). Our first dives in Coz 8 yrs ago when we just started diving, dives 11 and 12, we used a small fast boat with only 2 other divers, a captain and 1 DM we tipped 20$ and we became their new best friend. Of course you need to factor in inflation. My 2 cents

DSAO(dive safe and often):)

I typically tip $5 per tank in the Caribbean. It will be different in other parts of the world and will depend on the amount of "extra" service provided.

Americans are often notoriuous for over tipping, IMO.

I also tip around $5 per tank ($20 for both of us at the end of a two tank dive trip). A jar is usually passed around for tips and generally that's what we observe others doing.

That said, a lot of divers - especially people new to the sport - tip much more because they are afraid of not tipping enough. There's nothing wrong with this, I suppose, but after having dinner with a dive master in Cozumel, it's was interesting to note his attitude about insecure tippers - his favorite kind! Don't expect the dm or others to be of much help - you should tip what you feel is right. In the Caribbean, $5 per tank is what you normally see.

Archived