Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins or Uxmal Mayan Ruin?

cruzincourier

I've been to both Chichen Itza and Uxmal several times, and both are amazing. The ruins at Chichen Itza are well known for the great pyramid and, in my opinion, are more dramatic. Uxmal is equally impressive, but more subtle. If I were my first visit to Mayan ruins, I think I would choose Chichen Itza, especially if you don't know very much about the Mayan culture, history and traditions.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Ecstacy twice - went to Uxmal in December and Chichen Itza in January. We both enjoyed Uxmal more because it was SO much less crowded and we were able to climb some of the pyramids. Chichen Itza was like going to Disney Land during spring break. We couldn't hear our guide over all the yelling, way too many vendors following us around and everything was roped off limits. At Uxmal there were just a few other small groups besides our own (we went thru Carnival both times) and we were free to explore without worrying about getting separated because we recognized everyone in our group and kept running into them again.

Chichen Itza is bigger and better, but if you are going off a cruise you will not be able to see it all and will feel rushed and crowded. Uxmal is about right for a ship excursion as it's much smaller and doable in the time allowed. We ended up with a much nicer tour too because there were so many fewer people on our bus.

Have fun where ever you decide to go!

• 1 month later...

We've been to both also and enjoyed them both. Uxmal has less tourists so you can get a relaxing view, but it's also more walking, if I remember right. Whichever you chose, it might be smart to take the ship's excursion because of the distance from port, even if it's more expensive. That way they guarantee you'll be back in time in case something unforeseen happens on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived