Question about Grandeur in 08

firemans15

First let me start off by saying Hello and a big Thank You to all C.C. posters. I have been advid reader for two years now just never done a post.

My question is why Grandeur next summer is leaving Baltimore and moving to Norfolk for June,July and August. Now I know Empress is leaving the RCCL fleet in early 08, but I wonder if its because of a higher demand of passengers there during the summer months compared to Baltimore?

Firemans 15

First let me start off by saying Hello and a big Thank You to all C.C. posters. I have been advid reader for two years now just never done a post.

My question is why Grandeur next summer is leaving Baltimore and moving to Norfolk for June,July and August. Now I know Empress is leaving the RCCL fleet in early 08, but I wonder if its because of a higher demand of passengers there during the summer months compared to Baltimore?

Firemans 15

Welcome to the "posting" side of Cruise Critic! :)

All I can do is speculate, I would suspect that there are several reasons. Grandeur has been in Baltimore for 3 years now, I think, so they may feel that they are starting to tap out that market. Also, Norfolk adds an extra 16 hours (more or less) to where you can cruise, since you are already right on the ocean. They may not change the itinerary, but they can certainly slow down a little and save some gas. Empress is leaving, but remember Independence is coming just shortly after, so I think losing Empress is at least partly a matter of dropping the oldest off the bottom, and then of course shuffling everything else around to get the ships where they think they will do the best.

Norfolk just built a brand new (and very nice, by the way) cruise terminal. I think the reviews from Empress sailing out of that terminal were very good. Perhaps RCCL promised Norfolk a few more sailings to help pay for it.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

Theron

Welcome to the "posting" side of Cruise Critic! :)

All I can do is speculate, I would suspect that there are several reasons. Grandeur has been in Baltimore for 3 years now, I think, so they may feel that they are starting to tap out that market. Also, Norfolk adds an extra 16 hours (more or less) to where you can cruise, since you are already right on the ocean. They may not change the itinerary, but they can certainly slow down a little and save some gas. Empress is leaving, but remember Independence is coming just shortly after, so I think losing Empress is at least partly a matter of dropping the oldest off the bottom, and then of course shuffling everything else around to get the ships where they think they will do the best.

Norfolk just built a brand new (and very nice, by the way) cruise terminal. I think the reviews from Empress sailing out of that terminal were very good. Perhaps RCCL promised Norfolk a few more sailings to help pay for it.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

Theron

Thanks for the info TPKeller....That is kind of what I thought to...or it is the great state of MD taxing the heck out of RCCL for having a port of call in Baltimore.

Thanks for the info TPKeller....That is kind of what I thought to...or it is the great state of MD taxing the heck out of RCCL for having a port of call in Baltimore.

I'm certainly not privy to the financial arrangements, but I am certain that the government would want as many cruise ships as they could get to sail out of Baltimore. I assume that they make far more money on the taxes generated by the passengers using the airports, hotels and restaurants, than they do from any fees they may charge the cruise line for using the terminal. Also can't forget the employment of all the folks who are needed to turn the ship around, transport, park and process you and your fellow passengers that day!

One of those age old sayings goes something like "tax what you want to get rid of", and generally it does work, so I would tend to think that they try to make it as financially beneficial as they possibly can to the cruise line to come there.

Theron

Gonna have to chime in here with Theron and say that Norfolk is more centrally located to Bermuda, the Caribbean and the C/NE ports. They have a new market to tap, and don't have to do a Flank bell to get to the islands in a reasonable time. Most people don't realize that a ship even the size of Grandeur pretty much doubles fuel consumption to go from 15 to 20 knots. If they can slow down a little bit and conserve fuel while charging the same amount of money per passenger, that really helps the bottom line.

Gonna have to chime in here with Theron and say that Norfolk is more centrally located to Bermuda, the Caribbean and the C/NE ports. They have a new market to tap, and don't have to do a Flank bell to get to the islands in a reasonable time. Most people don't realize that a ship even the size of Grandeur pretty much doubles fuel consumption to go from 15 to 20 knots. If they can slow down a little bit and conserve fuel while charging the same amount of money per passenger, that really helps the bottom line.

I agree!;) I live in VA and it would be great to be able to drive more often to Norfolk. Driving for over 6 hours to ports or flying makes travel days much longer and harder.

Archived