Help! Anyone know of best place for car Rental Best Prices?

I have rented cars many times, and have found what I think is a strategy that works. Check Travelocity (or Expedia or Orbitz) at least once a week to see which car company has the best "deals". Since most of the companies don't require a credit card or any money down, I generally book what is available at the time. If a special "sale" occurs, I just cancel the previous booking, and rebook the new special. I've also found that by checking "Hotwire", I can get a good feel for prices I use to bid on Priceline (I usually don't do this unless I haven't found a good deal, as it requires pre-payment-no cancellations).

:( BE AWARE! There are several car companies (not the big chains) in Florida that I would never use (cars are old, filthy, and customer service is lacking). You might want to stick with the national chains (such as Enterprise, Dollar, Thrifty, Alamo, Hertz, Avis, Budget, National, etc.).

Also, even if you find coupon codes to use, check the price using the code, and also without the code. Sometimes the price with the coupon code is actually higher. Good Luck!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful about going for the weekly rate if you only need 3-4 days, some agencies are now charging "Early return fees" :confused:

Also, some agencies will charge you for a tank of gas if you return the car and don't show them a gas receipt, so be sure to ask about thier policy.

I third Mousesavers a great discount code resource.

Archived