Miami Hotels - safe areas??

KRD

Is it just me or are the folks on South Beach just a tad bit pretentious? It seemed that people were always checking you out -- sizing you up to see where you rank versus themselves. For a moment there, I thought I was in L.A. :p

Miami is pretentious....Its annoying and I live here. Which is why I want to leave this place. Its all about who you know, how much money you have, what kind of car you drive, what clubs you go too....ITS BS and annoying.

Miami is pretentious....Its annoying and I live here. Which is why I want to leave this place. Its all about who you know, how much money you have, what kind of car you drive, what clubs you go too....ITS BS and annoying.

We can trade; I currently reside in Anchorage, AK and I want to relocate to warmer climates. Don't get me wrong -- Alaska is beautiful and I'd miss a lot about it if I move, but I kind of fell in love with Miami the two times I visited. But then again, I'm a big city kid -- grew up in Brooklyn and I always jump at the chance to go to big cities on business.

I think I miss the culture more than anything. Sure we have different cultures in Anchorage and the two military bases in town also keeps the faces fresh, but it's just not as pronounced as it is in larger cities.

And the princess keeps telling me how much she loves the palm trees. The first time we went down there, she was so fascinated (the girl is my complete opposite...grew up in farm country in Kansas). She actually asked me if we could plant one in our front yard, but I had to kindly remind her that it wouldn't do too well up here.

It still is a cool idea though...it would be a constant reminder of our cruises. :p

We can trade; I currently reside in Anchorage, AK and I want to relocate to warmer climates. Don't get me wrong -- Alaska is beautiful and I'd miss a lot about it if I move, but I kind of fell in love with Miami the two times I visited. But then again, I'm a big city kid -- grew up in Brooklyn and I always jump at the chance to go to big cities on business.

I think I miss the culture more than anything. Sure we have different cultures in Anchorage and the two military bases in town also keeps the faces fresh, but it's just not as pronounced as it is in larger cities.

And the princess keeps telling me how much she loves the palm trees. The first time we went down there, she was so fascinated (the girl is my complete opposite...grew up in farm country in Kansas). She actually asked me if we could plant one in our front yard, but I had to kindly remind her that it wouldn't do too well up here.

It still is a cool idea though...it would be a constant reminder of our cruises. :p

Well I'm actually hoping to move to your old stomping grounds if you will...NYC...I need cold but still hip big city...I just hate Miami.....its fun when you come here on vacation, the beaches are beautiful and the scenery is nice...but the people here SUCK!!! haha!! I would love to got to Alaska though...you ever do the cruises from there since you live ther?>

Well I'm actually hoping to move to your old stomping grounds if you will...NYC...

Lived there over 20 years....trust me the grass isn't always greener.......not saying Miami is nirvana but neither is NYC....;)

/////////////////////

Well I'm actually hoping to move to your old stomping grounds if you will...NYC...I need cold but still hip big city...I just hate Miami.....its fun when you come here on vacation, the beaches are beautiful and the scenery is nice...but the people here SUCK!!! haha!! I would love to got to Alaska though...you ever do the cruises from there since you live ther?>

So to go along with your earlier comment about "it's all about how much money you have and what kind of car you drive", I think we're about to see "new money" hit the streets.

http://www.local10.com/news/14226302/detail.html

As for Alaska cruises, I haven't done any simply because I live here. That's not to say that I don't go exploring -- I've done the chartered day cruises to see glaciers and wildlife; that was pretty cool. I just can't see myself spending all the cash on a cruise up here when I can easily board a plane and just stay a couple days at each port. For instance, I've never been to Juneau but I think it would be fun to take a few days off and fly there to observe some of our state's legislative proceedings.

Lived there over 20 years....trust me the grass isn't always greener.......not saying Miami is nirvana but neither is NYC....;)

/////////////////////

I agree with you...I'm sure NY has its things....all in all I do love it there and want to experience the life there if but only a short while...besides we plan on having kids soon...definately don't want to raise them in the city....too expensive!!!:o

So to go along with your earlier comment about "it's all about how much money you have and what kind of car you drive", I think we're about to see "new money" hit the streets.

http://www.local10.com/news/14226302/detail.html

As for Alaska cruises, I haven't done any simply because I live here. That's not to say that I don't go exploring -- I've done the chartered day cruises to see glaciers and wildlife; that was pretty cool. I just can't see myself spending all the cash on a cruise up here when I can easily board a plane and just stay a couple days at each port. For instance, I've never been to Juneau but I think it would be fun to take a few days off and fly there to observe some of our state's legislative proceedings.

Nice....thieves got away...they'll get caught though...

I guess your're right.....Besides you live in that cold weather all the time!! I'm sure you want to get away to that nice balmy weather here in the carribean and enjoy the palm trees with the little lady.....:D

OK - help please!

My girlfriend and I are going on a cruise together (DH is threatening to find a "boys" cruise LOL) - we're in our 40's and early 50's. I currently have both the Holiday Inn Port of Miami ($209) and the Marriott Biscayne Bay ($236) reserved. We plan on doing a South Beach tour post cruise - and arrive in Miami around 1 in the afternoon a day prior to our cruise. Which hotel would you stay at and why?

Thanks much:)

Sorry for the double post - computer glitch:(

Ok - help please!

Going on a girls cruise (we're in our 40's & 50's). We arrive a day prior to our cruise around 1 PM. Have plans to take the South Beach tour post cruise. I currently have both the Holiday Inn Port of Miami ($209) and the Marriott Biscayne Bay ($236) reserved. Which would you stay at and why?

Thanks much:)

I appreciate all the info here.

I'm from NY, live in Charlotte, NC, lived in California, Italy, South Carolina, Louisiana (military wife 20 years) and have never been to Miami. It sounds like, with any other city, we just use common sense. I've only heard things about Miami, but am not planning on doing a lot of clubbing in 6" heels by myself at 2 a.m. I don't want to meet the REAL CSI MIAMI!! :p

Thank you for the info...my T/A is looking into some of the recommendations I have been given by everyone. Truly appreciate it.

I live very close to Detroit and am there often for baseball, football, concerts etc....I guess I should just stick to not doing the things I wouldn't do there!

lmndrop - since you are from Miami and there seems to be a lot of discussion on what areas are safe at night - what are your thoughts about the Hyatt Regency in Miami (on second ave)? Do you think we'd be ok walking to somewhere nearby for dinner? Or would we better off taking a cab? I don't think I'd be so concerned if it were just me, but I'll have my son with me and of course I'll be a little more cautious.

lmndrop - since you are from Miami and there seems to be a lot of discussion on what areas are safe at night - what are your thoughts about the Hyatt Regency in Miami (on second ave)? Do you think we'd be ok walking to somewhere nearby for dinner? Or would we better off taking a cab? I don't think I'd be so concerned if it were just me, but I'll have my son with me and of course I'll be a little more cautious.

The area is fine...but regardless I would take a cab to go eat somehwhere. Not that places are far to go eat but Its not a friendly walking area...construction, bridges and traffic make it difficult to walk the area by your hotel. Plus at night it does get a little lonely in downtown.

Archived