Packing tips, just returned

sbcatcher1

Before I left I searched for a good packing list and never found one. We were on the Statendam last week & the weather was sunny & rainy. The temp was generally around 57-62 in all our ports. Take 2 pairs of good walking shoes, one will most likely get wet. Take a Jacket with a zip out lining with a HOOD and gloves. When you are approaching the glaciers it is very breezy & cold. Crusing in Glacier Bay after we arrived was warm, actually got a slight sunburn on my face. I also appreciated the Jacket at night, on the train (I like the outside platform) and while sitting on the ship crusing College Fjord. Take comfortable expandable pants, you are going to gain weight. I am 49, moderatly active & 20lbs overweight pre-cruise. I tried working out in the gym but it made me woozy. I only had one pair of jeans & someone dropped a plate next to me & I got food on them. I often wore a mock neck turtleneck with a cotton pull over sweather under my jacket. That is what everyone means by layers. Take enough undies, the laundry was always full on the ship. Take a small umbrella, we had ponchos but never needed them. Binoculars are a must, I bought ORCA brand 8X42 pair at the terminal in Vancouver for $70, almost as good as my husband's Nikons. We each took about 170 photos with digital camera, I also used the video camera a lot. The scenery is breathtaking. Saw one bear, a couple of Moose, Sea Otters and several Whales, 2 right by the cruise ship. Have fun.

Statendam May 2004
Fantasy Jan 2003
Jubilee Jan 2002 Married on the Jubilee
Sovereign of the Seas Mar 2001

Thank you for your packing tips. I leave Saturday on the Regal Princess. I'm hoping I buck the trend and don't gain weight because one pair of pants I'm bringing are a little iffy.

Jackie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jsiegel:
I'm hoping I buck the trend and don't gain weight because one pair of pants I'm bringing are a little iffy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wear them early in the week, just in case. ;-)

Sherry

Carnival Spirit - July 11, 2001

I've found my thermal socks to pack and put away the iffy pants and replaced them with elastic waisted ones. I'm all set now.

Sherry, a college friend of mine used to live in Issaquah and now lives in Sanmamish, and she didn't have to move. What's with that? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jackie

Regal Princess June 5 2004 Alaska
Windstar Tahiti 2003/4
Sea Princess Mexico 2001
Nieuw Amsterdam HAL Alaska 1997
Crown Dynasty Panama Canal 1994
Vistafjord Cunard Mediterranean 1987

Thanks for the tips.My coat is perfect hood zip out linning water resistant.I can tolerate less cold then most being a Floidian.so I probably will wear hat and gloves more often then most.
I suggest that you bring some zip lock bags for any items that might get wet,and bring extra socks.Also don't forget to pack sunscreen.Ann

Archived