Flying into Ft. Lauderdale - embarking in Canaveral

Kerrupt

This trip will be my first time into Florida. We are on the Jan 2/05 sailing of the Mariner of the Seas. That's all simple enough.

The problem lies in that we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Orlando because that was the only way we could get a 'direct' flight into the vicinity the day before.(we didn't want to risk flying in the day of the cruise--- it will be January---Brrr!) I have checked out Mapquest and discovered that there are really 2 ways I could drive there (we're renting a car). I could take the I-95 which would probably be quicker or we could take the coastal highway up.

My question is as follows;

How long is it to drive the I-95 from Lauderdale to Canaveral? Is there tolls? How's the scenery this route?

How long is it to drive up the coastal highway? Are there tolls? How's the scenery? (keep in mind we've never been to Florida and would like to soak up some scenery).

I suppose that I'd be willing to take up to 5 or 6 hours if the scenery/experience is worth taking the 'long' way.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Cheers,

Shawn:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi, I have done this trip several times and it is about a 4-5 hour trip depending on traffic and weather. Do not take I-95 the whole way, too much local traffic until you get out of Palm Beach county. The best way is to take The Florida Turnpike to State road 70 which is Ft. Pierce and then exit and drive over to I-95 which is about 1/2 mile (big signs you wont miss it). The toll is less than $6.00 I believe. You wont see much on either road, just woods and cars. DO NOT TAKE US1! Red lights every mile or less and it will be packed at all times. And the only scenery you will have are businesses and not in the best of neighborhoods. I have never taken A1A north but once and it took 2 1/2 hours to get from Bal Harbour to Ft. Lauderdale. This would take a lot more than 5 or 6 hours to make it all the way to Cape Canavaral, and the last time I went to Sebastian Inlet (between Ft lauderdale and the Cape) the bridge was out so you had to detour to US 1 anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that most of the time you can run into a lot of traffic until north of W. Palm Beach. However, you'll be flying in and driving from fll to Cape Canaveral on Saturday, New Year's day. So you're not going to be running into any rush hour traffic. So you may want to give I-95 a shot and save the $$$ you'd spend on the turnpike.

agree with all of the above expecially the part about 1 or a1a --although there is stuff to see the road is generally 1 lane going through all small towns and you are subject to low speed limits - a person trying to make a left turn - and bridges that will open on the intercoastal to let boats through

Jenn and Mitch and Marshall,

I notice in your signature you were on the Inspiration 4/13 of last year. We were also. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. It was crowded and I had some issues about getting a chair by the pool (pool hogs), getting into the pool with all the kids and getting a decent seat in the show. But aside from that we had a great time. Wondering why you didn't like it.

Marc

There were lots of issues that we had. Most of all we were dissapointed that we were on our honeymoon and no one acknowledged it. We were told by so many people that the ships have cocktail parties and usually other surprises for the honeymooners. The children were out of control too. We were kept up by children running the halls and banging on the doors and calling random rooms all night(we didn't have Marshall so I know it wasn't my child). Also we kept hearing how nice cruising was and how lavish everything was supposed to be and didn't feel that way on that particular cruise. We had never cruised before and expected things to be a lot different. I know we would have taken a newer ship if we had left from home, but our plans would not have allowed it, and was assured by our ex-TA that the Inspiration was a great choice. We had a complete 180 on the Costa Atlantica, we figured that 90% of our relitives could not be wrong in having this as there vacation choice. We gave cruising another shot and we are happy we did!

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good time. I'm surprised that nothing was done for your honeymoon. Perhaps your TA didn't inform Carnival. As far as kids go, we were a little more lucky. Didn't have (or weren't aware of) kids running up and down the hallway. Also, didn't get any prank calls or pounding on doors. I did notice that by the end of the cruise a number of kids (usually pre-teen boys) were getting a bit restless.

I think when you cruise during spring break you have to realize that there's going to be a lot of kids on board. And a cruise line like Carnival or Disney is going to have the most kids of any cruise line.

For our next cruise we're going on Holland America (a little older demographic), leaving October 30 (school in session) on a 10 day cruise (families usually take shorter cruises). So I'm hoping for less kids on board.

Hope your upcoming cruise is more like your Costa rather than your Carnival experience.

• 1 month later...

Never Ever cruise on Carnival, it is a big joke with kids all over the place..I think parents turn the kids loose when they are on any Carnival ships and tell them its a "free for all" do what ever you want to make yourselves happy!!

Go with Princess, they only allow so many kids on their ships like 60 or something like that, and they are looked after all the time.

Archived