Thoughts on the Atlantis Rio Carnival Cruise

Dodsworth

My partner and I were thinking of taking the Atlantis cruise from Rio in Feb. Anyone been on this or other Atlantis cruises and want to share their thoughts? Thanks guys.

Yes, my partner and I did this cruise two years ago with Atlantis on the smaller ship and it was FANTASTIC!!! FANTASTIC!!! We are going again on the 2008 Rio cruise. We have been on the Infinity before and it's a good ship.

We have done 14 cruises with Atlantis so obviously, we have nothing but good things to say about them. In fact, next week we are doing the Mexican Riveria next week which will be our 15th cruise with Atlantis. Each cruise experience has been unique, lots of fun and very memorable.

Naturally, the more cruises you do, the more you'll recognize familiar faces and get to know more and more passengers. Go for it...!!

I was on the Atlantis cruise from Buenos Aires to Rio this past Feb/Mar. It was my first Atlantis experience (after several RSVP ones a few years ago) and it was remarkable. Although we were on a smaller ship (capacity about 800 as I recall and we were not at capacity), it was a 4+ star Oceania lines. The food, service and amenities were wonderful and the Atlantis "extra touches" were great.

You'll have a different itinerary since you begin in Rio and spend the first 3 nights there for Carnival. To make up for that, some of the ports we visited will be eliminated. But, the itinerary still will be enjoyable. And, I HIGHLY recommend that you plan to add time at the end to really experience Buenos Aires. I found it much to be a much more culturally interesting city that Rio (but you've got to give those Cariocas their due when it comes to beauty - they are all that's advertised and more).

I was so impressed with the quality of the Atlantis product that I signed up while on board the cruise for their Puerto Vallarta resort week over Halloween (3+ weeks from now). And, I expect to sign up while in at the PV resort for some sort of '08 Atlantis adventure.

Like so much in life, you get what you pay for. Atlantis is more expensive than a regular cruise (or resort), but the value added by Atlantis to the vacation experience justifies it - in my opinon.

Hope you decide to try Atlantis...and Rio/Buenos Aires. I don't think you'll regret it.

Gary

San Francisco

The cruise will be a fun one, they are really marketing this cruise. I have had clients who have sailed this and really mhad a graeat time, but then again, I have not really had too many complaints about Atlantis over the years. I say go for it and have a fun time, what a great time to be in Rio. Also Atlantis announced they probably wont repeat this cruise again next year so now is the time.

thanks

George

I don't think you'll be disappointed, guys. I hope you'll share some pix/notes upon your return. And, I hope you find an Atlantis experience as much fun as I do.

Now, if we could only get Rick (I think that's the President/Owner's name) to book an Austrialian/New Zealand cruise and confirm the Hong Kong to Singapore '09 cruise. I'd be in heaven. :p

Gary

San Francisco

We went ahead and booked the cruise (along with two nights before in Sao Paolo and two nights after in B.A.) Can't wait.

That's great!! So your Atlantis virgins huh?

You'll have a great time...Remember to put yourself out there, wear a smile, be friendly, say hello in the hallways and elevators, don't spend every dinner at a table for two and you will definitely meet a lot of people and most likely develop a good frienship or two. :D

That's great!! So your Atlantis virgins huh?

You'll have a great time...Remember to put yourself out there, wear a smile, be friendly, say hello in the hallways and elevators, don't spend every dinner at a table for two and you will definitely meet a lot of people and most likely develop a good frienship or two. :D

We definitely won't. We're looking forward to meeting lot's of people.

We definitely won't. We're looking forward to meeting lot's of people.

please look up the various other threads on this cruise so that you have all the info. Partner and I did the first one in 2006, and loved it. Your itinerary is even better (mix of ports and times).

be sure you do the sambadromo. Do not go all that way and miss it,

many threads on that topic as well

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I are also going on this cruise and currently have a cabin on the Vista deck (7158) but we were thinking about upgrading to the Concierge class (panorama deck). I read on Celebrity's website about some of the amenities and was interested but when we called Atlantis they didn't list the main amenity we'd be interested in (priority tendering)? Were we misinformed that this class doesn't offer all of the same things listed in CC as what is shown on Celebrity's site?

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for the best deck where CC is offered? This is our 25th and we'd really to make it as special as possible :o

Marklyn, congrats on reaching your 25th. For my partner and I it will be 18 in July (obviously, we met in preschool) ;)

I don't remember are cabin number but I think it was on deck 9. I've never sailed on celebrity (or Atlantis) so I can't be much help with the CC question. Did you book the pre-cruise package in Sao Paolo.

Also, do you realize that you need a visa to go to Brazil (I only bring it up because, while I knew, they didn't mention it when I booked my reservation). It costs $100 (postal money order only) and must be obtained within 90 days of entry into Brazil.

Marklyn, congrats on reaching your 25th. For my partner and I it will be 18 in July (obviously, we met in preschool) ;)

I don't remember are cabin number but I think it was on deck 9. I've never sailed on celebrity (or Atlantis) so I can't be much help with the CC question. Did you book the pre-cruise package in Sao Paolo.

Also, do you realize that you need a visa to go to Brazil (I only bring it up because, while I knew, they didn't mention it when I booked my reservation). It costs $100 (postal money order only) and must be obtained within 90 days of entry into Brazil.

We are flying into Rio on the day of the cruise so we won't be doing the Sao Paulo package. We also found out about the Brazil visa and we plan on taking care of that in the next month. Makes me nervous to send off my passport but I guess many thousands of folks do.

Congrats on your 18th! Ours is in July too but we're taking the cruise to celebrate it and since there wasn't one in July...

It can't be stressed enuough that you must not put this off! Pay attention to the rules, as it used to be (probably still is) that you have to get the VISA within 90 days of your arrival in Brazil. Given the start of this cruise, that means that the clock starts ticking over the holidays, reducing your window even further.

There were lots of near-horror stories in 2006 for the first cruise, especially in certain consulates (Los Angeles and NYC were problematic then, Boston and DC not so much).

Again, do not let this get away from you. Read the rules, get your stuff in early, and have a great time. It's a fantastic itinerary.

It can't be stressed enuough that you must not put this off! Pay attention to the rules, as it used to be (probably still is) that you have to get the VISA within 90 days of your arrival in Brazil. Given the start of this cruise, that means that the clock starts ticking over the holidays, reducing your window even further.

There were lots of near-horror stories in 2006 for the first cruise, especially in certain consulates (Los Angeles and NYC were problematic then, Boston and DC not so much).

Again, do not let this get away from you. Read the rules, get your stuff in early, and have a great time. It's a fantastic itinerary.

Thanks for the heads-up. I live in NYC and work not too far from the consulate. I plan to head over there 89 days before the cruise and apply for my visa in person.

On another note, are any of you staying on in B.A. after the cruise? David and were there a couple years ago and loved it. Here is a link to an article wrote about it for our local gay paper:

http://www.gaycitynews.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=17006891&BRD=2729&PAG=461&dept_id=568864&rfi=8

Thanks for the heads up about the Visa - must have missed the fine print on that - or perhaps our TA is taking care of it behind the scenes - but will follow up ASAP to avoid an issue. If I hadn't caught this thread it might have been too late. WHEW!

Re: other posts about Atlantis...we're new to cruising with them, and I had some concerns about what I expected would be non-stop circuit party atmosphere. Kevin and I have are celebrating our 30th in February, and we're so over the all nighters, and recreational drugs. No judgments about others, cuz we've been there, done that, and it's great oats to sew. Just not into it much anymore. But several members of this site indicated that it's not ALL there is to an Atlantis cruise, and given this IS Carnival, let's not be a party-prude! :D We upgraded to one of their suites - think it even has a hot tub - how campy is that?! Also, I think it was Hotlanta Cruiser who convinced us to make sure the Sambadrome was on the agenda, so even with the high cost of the tickets, we're signed up. Can't wait. Of course it means staying up past our bed time. I hear we might stay out all night and actually see the sun come up - what was that I said about being over that??? Such a hypocrite! ;)

Not doing pre-cruise in Rio, but have added a few nights in Buenos Aires. Hear it's a great city and look forward to seeing more of it. Didn't go through Atlantis for the post cruise resv. Think we're staying at the Four Seasons. Hope it's nice and well located. Our TA knows our preferences and thinks this'll suit us.

Now I just wish it would just get to February, like tomorrow.

Archived