Has anyone heard any updates on the crazy cruise from a few weeks ago?

MamaParrotHead

Just another Iowan checking in. I'm from Cedar Falls, right next door to the Waverly poster! We're in Waverly often, husband's family lives there. I don't post here often but do read the posts everyday and have learned a lot! I took my first cruise in February and drove to Mobile. This November we will be driving to New Orleans and spending 2 nights there before the Fantasy cruise. I hate the hassle of flying although you do need to have enough vacation to add more days for the driving.

Wow, this is a very small world. We really should get together one day.

I know how much you are looking forward to your cruise, as I am ours.

Pegs222:

We're taking our first cruise to Europe next year, flying from Des Moines to Southhampton. We always take the cruise air package, so I'm not sure what the air fare would be.....but I do know this is a very expensive cruise. We're going on the Independence of the Seas, September of next year. I heard that September was a good month to go; we'll see.:rolleyes:

We've never had a bad cruise out of all of our 40 plus cruises; just some are better than others.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita):p

Pegs222:

We're taking our first cruise to Europe next year, flying from Des Moines to Southhampton. We always take the cruise air package, so I'm not sure what the air fare would be.....but I do know this is a very expensive cruise. We're going on the Independence of the Seas, September of next year. I heard that September was a good month to go; we'll see.:rolleyes:

We've never had a bad cruise out of all of our 40 plus cruises; just some are better than others.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita):p

Oh my 40 cruise, how lucky are you. September is a great month to sail, but coming from me who has only sailed in September, not someone that you probably should listen too :rolleyes:

This is a very expensive cruise, no doubt about it. But then I knew this when we booked. If you click on my Roll Call I have posted out itinarery. What ports are you going to?

Is it September 2008 yet :confused:

I was a rink rat at the local Junior A league when I was little, our family actually housed players, but I'm fairly sure you're not talking about them. :)

Actually I was, we have a USHL Jr Hockey League team (Tri City Storm) which plays several IA teams.

Actually I was, we have a USHL Jr Hockey League team (Tri City Storm) which plays several IA teams.

I was a BIG Fighting Saints fan when I was little (early and mid 80's). Actually the friend who played with the Wolves and passed away was one of the players we housed who played for the Saints. Now we have the Thunderbirds. From what I understand, they just moved from the Minnesota league back to some sort of Junior League (Tier III, though I see the Saints used to be in the division Tri-City is in now).

I don't know if it was my age and I was easily impressed back then, or because we don't have the recruiting we used to, but the players just aren't of the caliber I was used to seeing. It's almost frustrating to go to games now, they just kinda...well, SUCK, LOL. :rolleyes: And somehow they're putting up these great numbers and winning championships and stuff. Makes me wonder what the teams are like that they're playing, LOL. The good thing is is that our attendance here is super, so that's a plus and the program is being well supported. My kids like to go now and then, and now that they're older I'm sure we'll be taking them more. My dad has actually been wanting me to start my 4 YO in hockey, but I think I'll hold off on that for a while. :)

So there's WAY more information than you asked for about my relationship with hockey, LOL.:o

I'm happy to see other Iowan cruisers. EVERYONE around here are AI freaks...just don't get why anyone would want to cruise. I've quit trying to explain it. A.) it's nearly impossible unless you experience it, and B.) the less people that know what a good deal and good time cruising is, the better for the rest of us! :D

We're transplanted Iowans ... in Chicago now, but DH is from Davenport, and I graduated from Hoover High School in DM. Both went to ISU ... even though airfare is more expensive, overall, your lifestyle is better in Iowa. I'd gladly pay the higher airfares ... but, hubby loves it here, so no moves back anytime soon. :(

We're transplanted Iowans ... in Chicago now, but DH is from Davenport, and I graduated from Hoover High School in DM. Both went to ISU ... even though airfare is more expensive, overall, your lifestyle is better in Iowa. I'd gladly pay the higher airfares ... but, hubby loves it here, so no moves back anytime soon. :(

I lived there for 3 years when I was younger. I love that there's something to do and see any minute of the day. Loads of fun and free things to do. Granted, the cost of living is through the roof, and I have family here. Otherwise I'd love to move back (although DH would never do it). LOL The grass is always greener, I think, LOL...:)

Iowans:

Maybe you can help me with this: a bit off-topic, but I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere else.

A few years ago, on a Conquest cruise, some people were talking about cow-tipping. I think they were pulling my leg, but I'm just not sure.

Do people really do that? How do you tip over a cow? Why would anyone tip over a cow?

I think once an Iowan always an Iowan. I am originally from Texas and I still call it home even though I have lived here for 43 years.

And there is nothing like corn fed beef. I honestly never gave it any thought until we were in Texas for the winter. I have never tasted such horrible beef. What on earth do they feed them?

Iowans:

Maybe you can help me with this: a bit off-topic, but I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere else.

A few years ago, on a Conquest cruise, some people were talking about cow-tipping. I think they were pulling my leg, but I'm just not sure.

Do people really do that? How do you tip over a cow? Why would anyone tip over a cow?

I have no idea. Isn't there something called cow chipping or something like that? They take the cow chips and throw them. Seem quite horrible, but then what do I know.

BTW, it appears that nothing is OT in this thread, everything is on LOL.

I, myself, have never been cow-tipping. In fact, I'm not 100% sure there really is such a thing. I didn't live in a farming community until high school, and they had quite a few funny "trick the new kid" things that would have been humorous if I wasn't the one being tricked (like "snipe hunting", LOL).

I'm pretty sure there is such a thing. Supposedly cows sometimes sleep standing up, and kids tip them over just for laughs. Kind of like those fainting goats...totally hilarious and people do it just because it's funny.

Did you see that kids' movie, "Cars"? The tractors they startle and tip over is an animated version of cow tipping.
I'll have to admit, that's one of my favorite parts of the movie and laugh every time I see it. :p

I, myself, have never been cow-tipping. In fact, I'm not 100% sure there really is such a thing. I didn't live in a farming community until high school, and they had quite a few funny "trick the new kid" things that would have been humorous if I wasn't the one being tricked (like "snipe hunting", LOL).

I'm pretty sure there is such a thing. Supposedly cows sometimes sleep standing up, and kids tip them over just for laughs. Kind of like those fainting goats...totally hilarious and people do it just because it's funny.

Did you see that kids' movie, "Cars"? The tractors they startle and tip over is an animated version of cow tipping.
I'll have to admit, that's one of my favorite parts of the movie and laugh every time I see it. :p

You have got to be kidding, so the poster was right. How strange. I wonder if the poster knows anything about our fainting goats LOL?

I have to apologize to you, your thread has taken a life of its own :rolleyes: BTW, did you read the post to you that said that yes indeed the same group is going to be on some ship next August:eek: :eek:

As a country boy I can vouch that there is such a thing as cow-tipping! it is exactly as this poster discribes. Cows sleep standing, you sneak into the field and push them over while they are sleeping.

As a country boy I can vouch that there is such a thing as cow-tipping! it is exactly as this poster discribes. Cows sleep standing, you sneak into the field and push them over while they are sleeping.

Poor things LOL:p

Mama, thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye on it.

Hello Fellow Iowans:;)

Maybe we should start a new thread. I've been taking cruises for the past 20 years now and we live in Des Moines, Iowa. I told my husband we should retire to Florida and we would be able to take more cruises....but we take several a year and we're not retired yet, so I'm not sure how many more we would take if we lived in Florida. You don't see too many people from Iowa on these boards, so it's good to talk to other people who know the problem with the airfare. We're about to take our 42nd cruise in two weeks (our 3rd cruise this year) to Hawaii on the Radiance of the Seas, RT for 15 days; and then for New Years Eve, we're on the Jewel of the Seas. We started out with Carnival and NCL and now we cruise mostly on RCCL and Princess.

I come to CC every day, as I find very few people I know and work with who have cruised or have any interest in it. We took our first one on the Norway in 1987, after our kids got in college and we've been cruising ever since. To the Ankeny cruiser, my daughter and her husband work in Ankeny. I remember a long time ago (I'm pretty old) when it was a new development and now it has just about everything.

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10 (Anita)

PS I hate the rain today. :( I can't wait to be going to Hawaii in a couple of weeks.:p

We just had a tornado warning expire for our county. No damage that I've heard of yet but it was very odd hearing the CD siren go off in October...even for Iowa! :)

I did start an Iowa cruisers thread. The link is back on the first page if you want to come check it out.

I'm going to school in Bettendorf right now. We spend quite a bit of time in Davenport because the shopping is quite a bit better there than in ol' Podunk, Iowa here. :)

Iowans:

Yes, I have heard of people doing it, but not just Iowans. Why? I can't say; I think it sounds ridiculous. The closest I've ever come to cow tipping is tilting my fork with a hunk of steak on it.

So far I've learned where the updates are for the woman who's cruise was terrorized (the Floataway Lounge), helped Lora scout out airfare, learned that there is an Iowa thread there as well, and been able to partially enlighten someone on a stereotypically midwestern total hick past time. :p I'm surprised the self-appointed "How Does This Post Relate To Carnival?" Police haven't arrived on the scene yet.:p

How cool - so many "Iowan's cruising! " :D

Back to the thread topic (sorry to interrupt) - I posted a review for this cruise. I had a few minor issues but I didn't see what Nancy saw on a wide spread scale. I followed the float away thread for awhile but have not checked for some time..... My review is in my signature.

Ok, now back to the mingling and getting acquainted! :)

Hey guys...here from California and I have enjoyed your chats...and thanks for starting this thread because I too was wondering about the incident on C Liberty. However, you guys are having such a good time have you thought of starting a thread in "floataway lounge"? I visit with "cruisers from California" there and it is great. Just a thought...but at least other IA residents would be able to find you and join in the conversations.:)

Also....okay from a California girl what is "cow tipping" and "fainting goats"???:eek: Happy sailing....Char

So far I've learned where the updates are for the woman who's cruise was terrorized (the Floataway Lounge), helped Lora scout out airfare, learned that there is an Iowa thread there as well, and been able to partially enlighten someone on a stereotypically midwestern total hick past time. :p I'm surprised the self-appointed

"How Does This Post Relate To Carnival?" Police haven't arrived on the scene yet.:p

I was going to say the same thing. And since you mentioned air fair, I have tried unsuccessfully this evening to find this air fairs for my cruise. So, I sent off an email to our Iowa friends that we are sailing with in September. We met them at the Cedar Rapids airport four years ago when we all were all sailing to Hawaii. We have remained friends ever since. They will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary and we will be celebrating our 45th. I am so glad we have someone to cruise with, we have never done that before.

And for the info on cow tipping, most useful :D

It is funny how bcuz we live in Iowa, we must personally have cows or corn... :rolleyes:

That is so true. They forget, and how on earth they could as we are on the news every single night, we are first in the Nation Caucus. We start it all, but all they can think of is corn and apparently cows that tip over, with help of course :rolleyes: .

Emmysmommy....nice review and photos. Your daughter is adorable and just wondering did she get to wear mascarra on formal night?;) Thanks for sharing your photos. Char

Thanks! And nope - no mascara. She may have worn a little lip gloss though. :)

Archived