Advice needed for a SEATTLE virgin

racepoint

This is all new to me, We're planning our July '08 20th anniversary cruise out of Seattle (NCL) w/o kids, and I need help in deciding where to stay, what not to miss, and just WHEN I should plan to arrive before the cruise leaves on Saturday (We're flexible with our time and I'm booking the airfare and hotel on my own). We'd like a 3+ hotel, at least, and we're not into shopping (at least my DH isn't) but would like to see some cool sites. We're not into fine dining. Cool, locally-recommended hot spots close to the hotel would be great. Any recommendations for what we should see/do in Seattle?:cool:

Depending on $$$ - the best bet is the Marriott on the Waterfront, it's directly across the street from the Pier. The Edgewater, where the Beatles stayed and fished out the window, is along side the pier. The waterfront is a great place to visit and just across the street from the Hillclimb that will take you to the Pike Place Market. So much to do....many choices..... I'd fly in on Friday. Personally I like to stay a few days post cruise so I can slowly decompress and gradually re-enter real life before heading back home. July is full of community parades and activities in celebration of Seafair. Be sure to contact the Seattle Visitor's Bureau and have a package of info sent to you.

A nice afternoon trip - time permitting - is to take the water taxi over to West Seattle. Take a walk along Alki Beach, stop for some fish and chips. The view from West Seattle gives you the best opportunity for pictures of the Seattle skyline. Take in a Mariners game at Safeco field. Go to Uwajimaya in the International District. Take a ferry ride to Bremerton. Take an Argosy tour through the Ballard Locks. Go to the Crabpot for lunch or dinner - right on the waterfront. Like I said.....lots of choices.

There are so many good hotels in the downtown Seattle area, I would do some rate checking and see what you find, but I would do it now as the hotels in Seattle tend to be on the pricy side. Then post your findings and we will tell you which hotels to avoid and what are the good places to eat close by. You could actually stay in the downtown, Lake Union or Seattle Center areas.

Now Seattle must sees here is an article that was in the local newspaper (The Seattle Times) there are some good places to see. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2003708476_nwwseattleattractions172.html

Here are a few others:

The Seattle Center

Pioneer Square

Pike Place Market

The Seattle Waterfront

International District

Broadway

The University of Washington

The Snoqualmie Falls

Seattle Aquarium

Woodland Park Zoo

There are some tours of Seattle that might be helpful:

The Seattle Duck Tour

Grayline Seattle tour

Argosy Boat tours

The Boeing Plant tour

We also have a very easy to use bus system in Seattle so you could jump on the bus and ride to many attractions that are not located int he immediate downtown Seattle area.

You don''t say exactly when you are visiting seattle next year. Tacoma (30 miles South of seattle) is hosting the Tall Ships. This is an event that will take place over the July 4th weekend. They hosted it about 3-4 years ago. It is an awesome site to see.:)

Archived