Digital Camera Broke - Help me choose a new one

I love my Sony and the Carl Zeiss lens on it. Mine is an older model but when I have to buy a new one I will be going back to Sony again. I believe Radio took all of his pictures for his review with a Sony. Everyone kept asking him what kind of camera he was using to get such great pictures.

See this is the dilemma when I know I love my SLR and want to find a small digital to just put into my beach bag. Is anything out there that good in a small body afterall, or do I just fix the Olympus Digital and like it, and use the Canon when I want that kind of a photo. I struggled with this before I bought the digital too. :confused:

My husband and I had the same dilemma--the SLR takes the best pictures, but the darned thing is so heavy we hate to drag it around with us, and the digital SLRs aren't noticeably lighter. We finally decided to just look for a really small but decently zoomy digital camera, and ended up buying the Pentax Optio S. It just had its first test on a (non-cruise) trip to London, and I carted it everywhere in my purse or pocket and have been quite happy with the pictures. The only problem was having to get used to the controls on such a small camera, but after a day or two I was comfortable with it. I believe Pentax makes a waterproof housing for it, too, though I think it's pricey.

Now if only they could make _guidebooks_ that small, I wouldn't have destroyed my back on that trip!

I had the A40, and just upgraded to the A80 - took it on my cruise and am SO pleased with the pics! They are brilliant. I love the pop-out screen, and the option for full manual controls. Also - it takes AA batteris - so you never have to worry about finding a proprietary battery - AAs are everywhere!!!

Here's a second vote for the Sony T1 for a great vacation camera. It was small enough to always have with us - very easy to slip in a pocket and take to the dining room for those pics you always seem to want. It also have a larger lcd screen for those off us that need "a bit of assistance" with the close up vision!

We also bought the underwater housing - it kept the camera completely sand and humidity free on 2 cruises this year and made it only a tad bigger than a regular camera without the housing. We simply put the camera in the housing before we left the a/c'd cabin and were good to go!

I'm a Canon convert, myself.

I was weened on Minoltas and have always used Hasselblads in my business, but after trying to help a good many folks learn to use their various 35mms, I fell in love with the Canons and bought myself an Elan for fun. I've just recently added the Canon 10-D to my serious arsenal, as well.

Canons have THE MOST user-friendly logic, in my personal opinion, and they consistently fit well in my hand and have all the controls in the places where my fingers just naturally rest. It's also a bonus in my book that the Canons don't generally weigh nearly as much as some other makes, so I don't find myself constantly wanting to set my camera down. (Notable exception: the 10-D weighs about as much as a thanksgiving turkey, but when you're REALLY in love, do you let a few extra pounds bother you?)

Now here's my question, which might surprise y'all: I know almost nothing about the really TINY digital cameras out there. Could anyone please recommend the very smallest Canon available with a worthwhile optical zoom and a good amount of mega-pixels? I think I could find it a good home! Thanks!

[The A80] takes AA batteris - so you never have to worry about finding a proprietary battery - AAs are everywhere!!!
This totally blew me away. My S10 takes a proprietary, rechargeable battery, and so when I saw my wife's A80 took just-plain AAs I was so surprised.

The Digital Rebel, after you learn to use it, will help you create truly awesome, beautiful photographs (NOT snapshots - although you can still use it for those ;) ). If anyone purchases a Digital Rebel, they should also purchase the 50mm Prime F1.8 lens which costs approx. $60.00 online - IMHO, this is a MUST purchase.

I just bought the digital Rebel this week and am having a great time with it so far! I am a novice photographer and I lover the idea I can "practice" with the creative modes and not waste film. What is the 50mm Prime lens and what does it do?

4cruizin,

The 50mm F1.8 is a nice inexpensive Prime lens that is absolutely wonderful for portraits, low light or even landscape shots. This lens is wonderful for using in low light situations when you DO NOT want to use a flash. Under the miscellaneous section from the link provided below, I have a sunset lake shot that was taken handheld. I find the photo's using the 50mm come out nice and crisp with absolutely no post processing.

Here is a link to my pbase account to see some of my photographs using the 50mm... http://www.pbase.com/photosbypj/root

I've owned about four different digital cameras and still find the technology changing all the time. I love my Canon G5, although they are discontinuing it to bring out the "higher-priced" larger mega-pixel cameras. Megapixels are important if you wish to enlarge or crop photos. If you plan on using the photos just as you take them, then anything in the 3 to 5 megapixel range is good.

For the best results while using your very small hand-held, digital camera, it should be noted that holding the camera extremely still will increase the sharpness of the photo. Most folks that I see taking pictures with the very small digital cameras seem to wave them around while taking pictures and then wonder why their pictures are "blurry"!

Do look at the new Kodak cameras also. They have really improved the quality of their cameras and they are getting some extremely good write-ups recently! Their cameras are easy to use and have loads of features. Their EasyShare software is amazing.

BTW, I used webshots on the internet for many years and finally discovered Ofoto. I can't believe the difference in the quality of the photos I got from Ofoto! Although you can't see the exact quality once you upload to any of these "hosting" areas, the photos I ordered were dramatically better when they came from Ofoto. And Ofoto is FREE! You can upload as many albums as you wish. I know this sounds like an ad, but it is really through experience that I learned this information and want to pass it along to all you digital photo folks! I hope this information is okay to post...... :)

I'm a Canon convert, myself.

I was weened on Minoltas and have always used Hasselblads in my business, but after trying to help a good many folks learn to use their various 35mms, I fell in love with the Canons and bought myself an Elan for fun. I've just recently added the Canon 10-D to my serious arsenal, as well.

Canons have THE MOST user-friendly logic, in my personal opinion, and they consistently fit well in my hand and have all the controls in the places where my fingers just naturally rest. It's also a bonus in my book that the Canons don't generally weigh nearly as much as some other makes, so I don't find myself constantly wanting to set my camera down. (Notable exception: the 10-D weighs about as much as a thanksgiving turkey, but when you're REALLY in love, do you let a few extra pounds bother you?)

Now here's my question, which might surprise y'all: I know almost nothing about the really TINY digital cameras out there. Could anyone please recommend the very smallest Canon available with a worthwhile optical zoom and a good amount of mega-pixels? I think I could find it a good home! Thanks!

Although we bought the Olympus, our second choice was a Canon 410. It was tiny with all the bells and whistles you could want.

Beth

Archived