Fun travel activity ideas?

mcfam5

Hi Everyone,

The parents on this board always have such great ideas ~ I thought I would see what you could come up with for our trip.

In seven days, we will be traveling (by mini-van) to Port Canaveral with a 10, 8 and 4 year old. For long car trips, I always pull together things to keep them busy. Our car trip this time is going to be about 18 hours, so we have a lot of time to fill! The car trip truly is a fun part of the vacation for us ~ I know that doesn't sound like fun to many people!

Does anyone have any fun ideas of games, activities, etc. to do while we travel along?

Your ideas are appreciated!

Jen:)

I always make a scavenger hunt for my kids to do on long car rides. They have to find things like "a purple flower" "three Publix trucks(easy to do in FL)", A boat not in the water, etc.

I also print out a map of the US and they "collect" license plates and color each state as they see a car from that state.

We play the "Name 10" game a lot when bored/waiting anywhere. You just ask them to name 10 of something. You can make it harder for the older ones. Little ones might be animals, colors, etc. Older ones might be cities in Texas, US presidents, national capitals. My kids LOVE doing this.

20 Questions-we once did this game for 2 hours straight. LOL

We've done the "Double" game (my niece taught it to us). Look on signs, cars...anything really (just not in the car) for doubles. Two letters or numbers that are right next to each other, when you see them shout "double A", "double 7", etc....it's fun to see who can spot them first and you'll find yourself looking for them even after you stop playing. You can do "triples" too.

There is a travel game called Rubberneckers (they make a Jr. too)....it's gotten great reviews (I was going to order it for our last road trip but it wouldn't have gotten here on time). Do a search on Amazon for travel games and you'll find so many.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811837335/ref=pd_cp_b_1/002-0157599-3166410?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=13PC2YFXMY55C9F9YWYW&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=252362401&pf_rd_i=0811822176

Hi Everyone,

The parents on this board always have such great ideas ~ I thought I would see what you could come up with for our trip.

In seven days, we will be traveling (by mini-van) to Port Canaveral with a 10, 8 and 4 year old. For long car trips, I always pull together things to keep them busy. Our car trip this time is going to be about 18 hours, so we have a lot of time to fill! The car trip truly is a fun part of the vacation for us ~ I know that doesn't sound like fun to many people!

Does anyone have any fun ideas of games, activities, etc. to do while we travel along?

Your ideas are appreciated!

Jen:)

You've gotta check this out... I always get a few new ideas to keep my kids busy when we travel:

http://www.momsminivan.com/

My DD loves Mad Libs, and a side benefit is they have helped her learn what an adjective is, a noun, a plural noun, etc. I even bring them with for her to play in the dining room to help the time pass quicker for her.

I love the ideas the previous posters have given too.

I agree, Mad Libs are great. Also, there are small magnetic versions of various games, made just for travel, such as checkers, chess, hangman, etc. Plus, check out dollar stores for small toys and puzzle pads/maze pads.An I SPY book also is great. Our travel kit always includes activities that the kids have never seen before--new dollar toys, or puzzle books. Also, small pads of paper, small collections of crayons/markers. The novelty of the item goes a long way in buying some extra interest time. Then, they are put away until the next trip, and not seen in between travels, to keep them novel.

We will be driving 11 hours each way to Los Angeles for our October 29 Monarch cruise. My kids are 5, 3, and 6 months. I have put together a backpack for each of the older 2 that has lots and lots of wrapped "presents" in them. They will get to open one present per hour of the drive. Some of the things that I have put in as presents are:

new DVDs to watch in the player

Candy watches

Markers

Doodle Pads and Cool Pencils

Pez Dispenser

Little Bracelets for her

A new matchbox for him

And many other things. Most of these items were bought for around 25 cents, and although they might not all hold their attention for a full hour. I am hoping that the anticipation and fun of opening a new gift will help them pass the time along. Just today I also found a little "lap desk" that has a cushion that sits on your lap with a hard writing surface so that they will have a surface to color and play on.

Klutz Press (and their publishing arm that is geared more toward preschoolers - which has "chicken" in its name) have great travel books for elementary school-aged and into middle school-aged kids. The travel books (they have different editions) come spiral bound with a plastic case that holds the "stuff" that they will need for any of the activities. There are games from one, two or more, puzzles, trivia, etc.

In addition to the travel books, they have other activity books that can be used for long periods of sitting (on plane, train or in a car) -- I got DD their "string games" book (its actually one of at least three titles with string games) when she was 7YO. She's now 12YO and she still has the strings the books came with and she and her friends will putz with them doing cat's whiskers, jacobs ladders, and witches brooms (kept her and her cousin - both 10YO at the time - busy from the MN border to the Black Hills!)

Archived