Snorkeling/Swimming question

ScarletKND

This is probably a stupid question, but I would like to know what everyone does with their wallets, keys, etc. if you go swimming or snorkeling from the beach. We would like to snorkel in Kona, and won't have anyone with us to watch our stuff while we're in the water. What have you found that works?

It's not a stupid question, at all. There are multiple waterproof cases available that you can take with you while you're snorkeling. Check out this website: http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/index.html or your local dive shop.

Another (minimalist) approach is to put your money and ID into a ziplock baggy and then put that into another ziplock baggy and then into the pocket of your swimsuit.

Marc

we usually get the waterproof case for our ship card and Ids and money..

the rest of the stuff we leave on the beach. our towels and clothes etc..

we never had a problem, i dont bring our camera or anything with us , just a little cheap disposable one just in case . the digital one stays on the ship..

but at kahluu beach park in kona they have lockers.. I didnt know this until after we got there

HERE IS WHAT A LOCAL DOES FOR THE BEACH:

THE STOP BEFORE YOU GO TO THE BEACH, take EVERYTHING you're going to take to the beach with you and have it in your car with you. EVERYTHING ELSE you're not taking with you to the beach, PUT IN YOUR TRUNK. This includes purses, wallets, money, etc. When you park your car at the beach, DO NOT OPEN YOUR TRUNK!! Take all items with you from your car with you so your car is absolutely empty, so there's NOTHING on the seats to break into the car for. I say again, DO NOT OPEN THE TRUNK once you get to the beach parking! If you want to take some cash to the beach just in case you want to hit a snack bar, put it in your pocket before you get to the beach. (they take wet money everywhere) If you plan ahead, you'll have no need to open your trunk at the beach and put stuff in there.

At many beach parking areas, there are thieves watching people leaving their cars. SO OFTEN, you will see people throwing their wallets and purses in their trunks when they get to the beach. Not only that, some are yelling to their spouses, "HEY HONEY! PUT YOUR PURSE IN THE TRUNK SO I CAN LOCK IT UP!!" GUESS WHICH CARS GET BROKEN INTO FIRST!

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING STOLEN FROM MY CAR HERE IN HAWAII. You just need to have a little common sense and be smart.

HERE IS WHAT A LOCAL DOES FOR THE BEACH:

THE STOP BEFORE YOU GO TO THE BEACH, take EVERYTHING you're going to take to the beach with you and have it in your car with you. EVERYTHING ELSE you're not taking with you to the beach, PUT IN YOUR TRUNK. This includes purses, wallets, money, etc. When you park your car at the beach, DO NOT OPEN YOUR TRUNK!! Take all items with you from your car with you so your car is absolutely empty, so there's NOTHING on the seats to break into the car for. I say again, DO NOT OPEN THE TRUNK once you get to the beach parking! If you want to take some cash to the beach just in case you want to hit a snack bar, put it in your pocket before you get to the beach. (they take wet money everywhere) If you plan ahead, you'll have no need to open your trunk at the beach and put stuff in there.

At many beach parking areas, there are thieves watching people leaving their cars. SO OFTEN, you will see people throwing their wallets and purses in their trunks when they get to the beach. Not only that, some are yelling to their spouses, "HEY HONEY! PUT YOUR PURSE IN THE TRUNK SO I CAN LOCK IT UP!!" GUESS WHICH CARS GET BROKEN INTO FIRST!

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING STOLEN FROM MY CAR HERE IN HAWAII. You just need to have a little common sense and be smart.

Common sense should go with you every where. We live 90 miles north of NYC and go for a day trip with just a my GF and me a few times a year and stay late and catch the late train back.

Never had a problem but we don't even carry a purse and don't show off lots of money when buying something.

Always keep only about $20-$40 of cash on one pocket with the rest in another place, this goes for every where we travel. Always pack the common sense first.

• Administrators
Common sense should go with you every where. We live 80 miles south of NYC and go for a day trip with just a my GF and me a few times a year and stay late and catch the late train back.

Never had a problem but we don't even carry a purse and don't show off lots of money when buying something.

Always keep only about $20-$40 of cash on one pocket with the rest in another place, this goes for every where we travel. Always pack the common sense first.

I agree with that! Get a "beach safe" (available tons of places online, at your local sporting goods store, at CC, even :)) and stick your ship ID, photo ID, one credit card, and some cash in it for a beach day. Take anything more costly/important than a towel, sunscreen or a hair brush in the water with you. No worries that way, and no taking turns "guarding the stuff."

I usually take about $20/30, a credit card with a low limit, or, maybe, a pre-paid card, what ever car key I need, and my driver's license. My wife has a waterproof box she wears around her neck, and I carry the underwater camera. I normally don't leave anything in teh car, even locked in the trunk

If we are going sight-seeing, and are bringing cameras, purses, wallets, we may stop at a beach, but, don't go in the water.

It is sad we have to do this when we are on vacation, but, its an indication of the world we live in

Being a local also I second everything NeoJava says. I lived on the North Shore my whole life and have had my car broken into 3 times. We take what we need, towels, sunscreen, and put our ID,check card and $20 in our swimsuit velcro pocket. It almost seems your stuff is safer in a backpack on the beach than in a car. If you don't want it possibly stolen, than don't leave it in the car. It's really a gamble. You want to make the car as non-tempting as possible, so clean it out before thieves do. I know this may give the beaches a bad rep here (this doesn't just go for beaches either, I got broken into at Pearl Harbor once), but it's better to be safe than ruin a vacation. Just take a backpack or bag with what you need and keep it with you and you'll be fine.

Anyone got a recommendation for a waterproof bag to hold electronics (cell phone, camera, GPS). I was looking at some belt pouches or backpacks but kinda wanted something not too large and really safe for electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Archived