Snorkeling @ Deer Island in Mazatlan - any good?

cruzinfmly2007

We're considering the Deer Island Snorkeling excursion, but have heard Mazatlan isn't the best place for snorkeling due to low visibility. Is Deer Island the exception or should we try Cabo or PV instead?

According to the snorkeling guides I have spoken to in Mazatlan, there are times when the visibility is very good in Mazatlan, and when it is, there is quite a bit to see. However, a lot of the time the visibility is very low. When I went snorkeling at Deer Island, the visibility was very low right by where the boat boards, but once I snorkeled up the coastline past where the sand stops, and the coastline gets rocky, the visibility got a lot better.

There is no coral, just rocks, but there were quite a few fish to see, even in areas where the visibility was very low - I just snorkeled in water about 2 feet deep and could see quite a few fish below me. If I went into deeper water in this area, I couldn't see anything. Then as I went up to the end of the island (to the left as you stand on the beach looking at the city), the visibility improved a lot, but the water got a bit rough - no problem for me as an experienced snorkeler, but I think a novice snorkeler might be uncomfortable being in close to the rocks there.

Based on my experience, both Puerto Vallarta and Cabo were much better for snorkeling than Deer Island. If you are only planning one snorkeling excursion, I would not choose Mazatlan, as the clarity in the other locations is much more predictable. I do look forward to trying snorkeling there on a day when the visibility is good, though.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

• 1 year later...

Archived