Car Break Ins while at the Beach

hurley7

I have read on several posts that people's cars have been broken into while you are on the beach. We were going to rent a car and drive to Baby Beach. Does anyone have an opinion on how much of a risk it is to park at Baby Beach?

(The reason that we chose Baby Beach is that I am not a great swimmer and we wanted to try and snorkel where it is calm and not very deep.)

Also, if you rent a jeep with a soft top, is there anywhere safe to store your valuables in the car? It seems like it would be easy to cut through the top.

I have also read that it is hard to find your way around. Is it safe to drive around the island? In general, are people helpful if you get lost?

Thanks for everyone's opinions!

I have read on several posts that people's cars have been broken into while you are on the beach. We were going to rent a car and drive to Baby Beach. Does anyone have an opinion on how much of a risk it is to park at Baby Beach?
Car break-ins are not unheard of. Baby Beach is a very busy area and thus lots of people around. Would have to say that you much less of a chance of a break-in while here.
(The reason that we chose Baby Beach is that I am not a great swimmer and we wanted to try and snorkel where it is calm and not very deep.)
Baby Beach is shallow for swimming, but I am not sure how much you would be able to view in the shallows snorkeling. Bring with you a buoyancy/floatation vest if you have one to be on the safe side.
Also, if you rent a jeep with a soft top, is there anywhere safe to store your valuables in the car? It seems like it would be easy to cut through the top.
Renting any type of vehicle, if you MUST travel with valuables keep them locked away in the trunk. Given that you will have a soft topped vehicle with no trunk, leave no valuables or you will run the risk of losing them.
I have also read that it is hard to find your way around. Is it safe to drive around the island? In general, are people helpful if you get lost?

Thanks for everyone's opinions!

Aruba is an island which is only about 26 miles long with one main road running the western coastline from the northern most to southern most tip. How you can get lost going in a straight line on a main road would be beyond me. The car rental company should also offer you a map. Now with that being said, finding Baby Beach can at times be a little trying. Bably Beach is near the Valero Refinery which for obvious reasons is a gated complex which the road must weave around. Arubans are friendly people who will be happy to assist you should you get lost.

Directions to Baby Beach:

To get to Baby Beach from the hotels, head south from Oranjestad towards the airport.

Head past the airport towards San Nicolas.

About 12.7 kilometres (7 3/4 miles) down the road you come to a Traffic Circle. Take the second exit off the circle, staying on Rte 1A.

After another 2.4 kilometres (1 1/2 miles) the road ends, so bear to the right.

About another .5 kilomteres (1/3 of a mile) you'll come to a gate leading to the Valero refinery. The road take a hard left hand turn and head up a hill.

After about 200 yards take a right and go straight. After another .75 kilometres (1/2 mile) the road turns hard to the left again.

The Aruba Model Train Museum will be on the left as you make the turn.

Just ahead the road ends, take a right and follow that road until you see a large red anchor at the end of the road.

Take a right towards Ceroe Colorado. At the stop sign go straight down the hill. There will be a church on your left.

At the bottom of the road take a left.

From there, the road forks. bear right at the fork in the road, after taking a left at the bottom of the hill after passing the church.

Baby Beach will be directly ahead on your right.

Archived