new to cruising

Looking forward to leaving on our first cruise on Oct 26th but have a few questions that we hope others may be able to answer.

1. What would the theme nights be on the Butterfly Whispers cruise (just so we can pack a couple of appropriate items):confused:

2.It seems that on - shore tours are only available at Noumea. What do others recommend you do at Isle of Pines and Ouvea (we're not really the snorkelling types):confused:

3.We've read about the surf shoes others have recommended but do you need these to walk on the beaches or only if you are swimming and snorkelling (just so we can buy before we leave and not on the ship);)

4.Do others recommend the flu vaccine (know I'm leaving it a little late):confused:

5.Once you board the ship in Sydney can you disembark or should you finalise everything before you start to board.:confused:

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Hi Mark & Cheree,

I assume we will have at least an Island night & Country & Western night, plus the 2 formal nights. The other 4 will be 'casual' nights.:)

Perhaps Jane ,or somebody else, who went on the same cruise in July could enlighten us as to which night is which.

Second night is formal night. I assume the second last night is also formal night.:confused:

Hi Mark & Cheree,

I assume we will have at least an Island night & Country & Western night, plus the 2 formal nights. The other 4 will be 'casual' nights.:)

Perhaps Jane ,or somebody else, who went on the same cruise in July could enlighten us as to which night is which.

Second night is formal night. I assume the second last night is also formal night.:confused:

Hi toowoombatourist!

I can't answer all your questions (someone else here will definately be able to though I'm sure!)

We did a seven night cruise and the theme nights were rock and roll, country & western and island night.

I think the reef shoes are helpful for some of the beaches where they are predominantly coral (again one of the other more experienced CC-ers will be able to tell you if the islands your visiting fall into this category). I saw them in BigW just this week for about the first time this season.

(PS: I'm from Toowoomba too!)

Hey and welcome.

We did the same cruise in July. Our theme nights were Island, C&W and rock n roll.

The sand at Isle of Pines is like talcum powder there is a little broken coral in the sand around the sacred rock but not too much. I don't remember any rocks or coral at Ouvea. The motorised bike ride looked really fun, they kept overtaking us while we were walking to the prison ruins.

Do many people get dressed up for C&W night? I have something for Island night, but not for the other two. I don't want to be the odd one out.

There have been theme nights on previous nights, but virtually no-one got dressed up, except the crew.

I normally take my denim jeans, belt with the big buckle and denim shirt to wear, but I admit I'm normally in the minority.

I have a pair of jeans and a checkered shirt. Do you think this will be okay?

I remember Karon (kaseyoz) took some plastic guns on. I don't think I want to risk that!!:eek:

I think this cruise will be more older folk, so not too sure if they get into any of 'the action'.;)

I have a pair of jeans and a checkered shirt. Do you think this will be okay?

I remember Karon (kaseyoz) took some plastic guns on. I don't think I want to risk that!!:eek:

I think this cruise will be more older folk, so not too sure if they get into any of 'the action'.;)

Sounds good - buy a cheap plastic sherrif's badge to go with it and you'll be set!

I know what you mean. We have been received the Countdown to Dawn booklet from P&O and it says we will have a pirate night. :eek:

Luckily we bought a sword, eyepatch, hook etc from the $2.00 shop for......$2.00. :D

What would we do without those shops?

$2 shops, op shops, garage sales, market days, fetes, they are all good!

In Japan they have 2 yen shops, very similar to our $2 shops

When our bus tour got to Geneva last year we found out that that w/end was the annual Geneva market day.. many many blocks of the city were closed off and it was a huge car boot sale type thing... excellent!!!!!!

Halloween might be 'celebrated' - could be fun

I have a feeling Mr Smith and I are going to look mighty silly in our grass skirts and leis... maybe we won't wear them.....

$2 shops, op shops, garage sales, market days, fetes, they are all good!

In Japan they have 2 yen shops, very similar to our $2 shops

When our bus tour got to Geneva last year we found out that that w/end was the annual Geneva market day.. many many blocks of the city were closed off and it was a huge car boot sale type thing... excellent!!!!!!

Halloween might be 'celebrated' - could be fun

I have a feeling Mr Smith and I are going to look mighty silly in our grass skirts and leis... maybe we won't wear them.....

Don't worry about looking silly - Island night is the one 'theme' night that most people get involved with - you'll be suprised at the sights you see.

Island night is the one night that most people get dressed up for. It is amazing the pull of tacky tourist coconut bras etc.

C&W I wear jeans, checked shirt, bandana, hat and sheriff's badge. You can get flashing cowboy badges on ebay for a couple of dollars. It is lots of fun when you go as a group because it doesn't matter how "stupid" you look because there is someone else looking just the same. I have 4 matching checked shirts and a big stash of the flashing badges.

Rock and roll I would say is the least dressed up night. I have a circle skirt and wear a tshirt with my bandana rolled and tied around my neck and a pair of volleys on feet. Boys can wear jeans and white tshirt, hair slicked. Other thing for girls is capri pants.

We were onboard the Star last year for halloween. I don't think they were really going to do much but we were talking to the staff and let them know that there was a group of eight of us who had the full costumes. They set up a party and it turns out that there were about 15-20 who had gone to a lot of effort.

Archived