How early of a flight can we take out of Rome?

I'm taking a Princess cruise which ends in Rome. The 'arrival time' is noted as 4 am but Princess staff aren't able to tell me when we'd actually be able to get off the boat. They don't recommend booking a flight with a departure time before 11:30 am. The flight we're looking at leaves at 11:15 am and I'm wondering if this is too risky or quite possible. We'd be taking a taxi (so not waiting to take the princess transfer) and we can carry our own bags off that morning if that would speed things up.

Has anyone been in this situation for a Rome flight and what was the timing like?

Our other flight options are rather ugly but I don't want to risk this flight if it's really a risk. I just can't tell if Princess is being overly cautious and making the flight wouldnt be an issue at all.

Thanks for your help

I'm taking a Princess cruise which ends in Rome. The 'arrival time' is noted as 4 am but Princess staff aren't able to tell me when we'd actually be able to get off the boat. They don't recommend booking a flight with a departure time before 11:30 am. The flight we're looking at leaves at 11:15 am and I'm wondering if this is too risky or quite possible. We'd be taking a taxi (so not waiting to take the princess transfer) and we can carry our own bags off that morning if that would speed things up.

Has anyone been in this situation for a Rome flight and what was the timing like?

Our other flight options are rather ugly but I don't want to risk this flight if it's really a risk. I just can't tell if Princess is being overly cautious and making the flight wouldnt be an issue at all.

Thanks for your help

The trip from the dock to the airport will be about one and half hours maybe more if traffic is bad. You should be at the airport 2hrs ahead of time for international flights, especially in Rome!! I would be very wary of taking a flight in the am, if there is something in the afternoon it will not be as stressful for you. Better to be safe than sorry I say. I doubt very much if you will be able to disembark much before 7 or 8am. The "take your own luggage" will help but be sure you have all the info' beforehand. What would you do if the docking were delayed for some reason?? :eek:

Think hard!! ;)

I don't know about Princess but we just got off of the Westerdam Friday. I did not carry my own luggage off the ship but I was the first color called to get off the ship at 7am. I had a private driver and there was no traffic. With all of these conditions I could have easily made an 11:15 flight but I would have been very nervous. I had an 11:55 flight to Paris and was literally at the airport before 9am. Some of the people that had later flights were upset becuse Airfrance wouldn't accept their luggage so early so they were stuck standing there with there luggage until 3 hours before their flight departed.

If I had it to do over I would stay an extra night at a hotel near the Rome airport and take a very early flight home the next day. That way we would have gotton home at a decent hour and not been rushed or worried to make it to the airport from the ship.

I am on the Legend and have a return flight to the States at 9:50 AM. RCL recommends a flight no earlier than 10:00 AM. We do get into Port on a Monday Morning. I do not know the traffic situation in Rome as I have never been there. Has anyone been in the situation? This was the only flight available that day so we had no choice as we could not take the extra day off work. Does anyone think we will make it?

Thanks for advice,

Nancy

We recently ended our Carnival cruise in Civit on a Saturday morning. Disembarkation began at 6:00a.m. and we chose to self disembark, getting off the ship about 5:50. We had booked a driver for 6:00 through Romecabs who picked us up right before 6:00. Since the traffic was very quiet that early on a Saturday morning, we reached FCO by approx. 6:45. Our flight was at 9:05. We had plenty of time to check in and browse through the duty free shops before boarding. I don't know what day your cruise ends but that worked well for us.

Just back from Rome on Sep 22,2007. Getting to FCO from pier on a Saturday took 40 minutes. Had private car pick us (2 people) up for 130 EU. No traffic at all, gas is so expensive equal to 6-8 dollars per gallon that i think there is a lot of incentive to use the train. Arrived at FCO by 9:35. Our flight wasn't until 1:50pm we couldn't imagine what we would do with the extra time until we walked into the terminal. It took more than 3 hours to check-in for the flight another 10-15 minutes to get to the gate and another 30-40 minutes to board plane due to many seat arrangement problems of other passengers. We stopped for a quick bathroom break and busband bought a newspaper so make sure you allow at least 3-4 at the airport.

ps i worked in for an airline in chicago for 5 years and never in 5 years saw anything like that day at FCO. come early, bring your patience, and you'll be fine. if at all possible stay an extra day or two and avoid FCO the day ship disembarks.

Ciao and have a wonderful trip,

Melissa

We just made it back from our Carnival Rome cruise also....Our flight out was at 10:45 am and we were fine. Although it is absolutley a hetic and caotic airport, we had no problem time wise. We were off the ship and on the bus by 6:20 - 6:30 and because it was so early in the am, there was little traffic and made it back to the airport in 40 minutes. It was VERY crowded but the lines moved at a steady pace. From our experience, I think a 11:15 flight will be fine :D

We just made it back from our Carnival Rome cruise also....Our flight out was at 10:45 am and we were fine. Although it is absolutley a hetic and caotic airport, we had no problem time wise. We were off the ship and on the bus by 6:20 - 6:30 and because it was so early in the am, there was little traffic and made it back to the airport in 40 minutes. It was VERY crowded but the lines moved at a steady pace. From our experience, I think a 11:15 flight will be fine :D

What day did your cruise end? We end on Monday. And we have a 9:50 AM flight. Do you think this is at all possible? The next flight with Continental does not leave until the following day.

Cool Cruiser22 -- That is a good question with such an early flight. Personally, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't chance it BUT others who have done the same, may say sure, go ahead and do it. I know that Carnival advised that no one booked a flight earlier than 9:45. We left out on a Saturday though and I'm sure that we had alot of extra tourists (non-cruisers) in the airport? I would think about it long and hard though since the next flight isn't until the next day! On a plus side, Rome is a great city and this time of the year you may get a good deal on a hotel in the city for an extra day of fun? GOOD LUCK!!! ;)

Rome airport is total chaos peak season and is not for the faint hearted! I flew from there in the middle of July. The lines for check in and security were incredible and moved extremely slowly. We left the Ship at 9am and took a private car. The journey to the airport was pretty quick but friends with 1pm flights struggled to make their flights. My advice certainly in July or August is to get there early. Even if you stay over in Rome get there early because at that time of the year there is at least on ship disembarking every day!

The odd thing is arrival at the airport was smooth and civilised which I guess lulls people into a false sense of security!

What day did your cruise end? We end on Monday. And we have a 9:50 AM flight. Do you think this is at all possible? The next flight with Continental does not leave until the following day.

I was booked on a 9:50 am flight with Continental, Rome to Newark. when i booked they told me this was the only flight. Wrong, I checked later and there was a 2:00pm flight on Sunday. I paid the $50 change fee (shouldn't have had to since they told me incorrectly originally) and booked the 2:00pm. We are on the Legend of the Seas next year. I would double check on times. I think they have two flights a day connecting to New York. Of course may not work with your final destination?

I would definitely take a taxi to the airport. I agree with all of the 40+ minute estimates. The ship's transfers you must wait for everyone. We have found the check-in lines at FCO the past 2 summers very slow and we were flying Business Class so were able to by-pass part of the line. It will probably be fine but with not alot of time to spare and possibly not do-able. 9:50 is very different than 10:30. They absolutely close out check-in 60 minutes prior to the flight. If you do not have your bags checked by 8:50 you will not be on that flight. I would try to be off the ship 6:30, take a taxi and go for the best. I have had several similar situations where this was just a chance I had to take because of work, it stinks but there really isn't an alternative of spending another night sometimes and you just have to take the chance! Your cruise will be fabulous! Best of Luck

I heard that you can take your own bags off the ship if you have an early flight. I have been on 21 cruises and this has never been an option due to security reasons. Does anyone know if this can be done? With a 9:50 AM flight out of Rome, this will save lots of time. I was already planning on hiring a taxi to get us to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked the 2pm Continental flight from Rome to Newark as this is a non-stop flight and we have 4 children with us. Just yesterday I got an e-mail from them saying that they have cancelled the 2pm flight for that Monday next July and have rebooked us for the 9:55am flight to Newark that day! I booked this flight because I WANTED the 2pm flight so as to not rush and worry from the port to airport on the day of disembarkcation. I called Carnival and they said a flight after 9:35am would be OK. Yeah sure. They offerred to transport us for $75 per person! I suspect they would get us to the airport and then just leave us anyway. So what about security, check-in etc? So I called the airline, had them put us on the 9:55 am flight on the next day, a Tuesday, and booked 2 rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott. I then e-mailed Stefano at Romecabs and asked him for a daytrip suggestion for that Monday as he would have been picking us up anyway. So it is going to probably cost my family about $800 more for this delay, but we are getting an extra day and we WILL do something fun with the time. By the way, Continental has the 2pm flight on that Tuesday, they just cancelled the MOnday. I bet they reinstate the Monday flight and if they do, I will be watching and I will cancell the hotel and rearrange the limo and try to get back on the Monday flight. All the time reminding the airline that they initially cancelled, not me, so no fees to be incurred. They did not charge me any fee to move to the Tuesday flight anyway. I also had plan B at the ready, take a flight to Paris with an 11 hour layover and see the city of Paris again! Nice though, right?

All the flights I looked at for my return from Rome were early in the morning and there was NO WAY I would be able to make it, so I HAVE to stay overnight in Rome.;) So I made it two nights:D

I like the way you think :) ...this is what I would do!

I booked the 2pm Continental flight from Rome to Newark as this is a non-stop flight and we have 4 children with us. Just yesterday I got an e-mail from them saying that they have cancelled the 2pm flight for that Monday next July and have rebooked us for the 9:55am flight to Newark that day! I booked this flight because I WANTED the 2pm flight so as to not rush and worry from the port to airport on the day of disembarkcation. I called Carnival and they said a flight after 9:35am would be OK. Yeah sure. They offerred to transport us for $75 per person! I suspect they would get us to the airport and then just leave us anyway. So what about security, check-in etc? So I called the airline, had them put us on the 9:55 am flight on the next day, a Tuesday, and booked 2 rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott. I then e-mailed Stefano at Romecabs and asked him for a daytrip suggestion for that Monday as he would have been picking us up anyway. So it is going to probably cost my family about $800 more for this delay, but we are getting an extra day and we WILL do something fun with the time. By the way, Continental has the 2pm flight on that Tuesday, they just cancelled the MOnday. I bet they reinstate the Monday flight and if they do, I will be watching and I will cancell the hotel and rearrange the limo and try to get back on the Monday flight. All the time reminding the airline that they initially cancelled, not me, so no fees to be incurred. They did not charge me any fee to move to the Tuesday flight anyway. I also had plan B at the ready, take a flight to Paris with an 11 hour layover and see the city of Paris again! Nice though, right?

We are looking at this same flight in June. We also liked the times. I can't believe that they would cancel your flight so early in the game. Did they give a reason? What time do you fly out FROM Newark? Ours is around 5:00, but we come in from the south first.

We are staying two nights over in Rome anyway, so if they do cancel our flight, it would not be a big deal. We will just have to get going earlier in the morning.

BTW - I am surprised that you booked your flight so soon, anyway. Do you mind my asking what you are paying for one passenger?

Archived