Radiance of theSea 8588

OBSANDY

Hi we will be on Radiance June 8th to Alaska.This will be our first cruise .Has anyone had cabin 8588 before.If so any pictures and how was it .Thanks:)

We were in 8568 (next door). No pictures, but we liked it. The virtual view from RCCL's web site will give you a pretty good idea what to expect. The only "problem" is the canopy above the lifeboats (on deck 7) still blocks your view when looing straight down. A better bet would be any of the cabins on the hump.

We were in 8586, right next door. I believe the previous poster switched his numbers.:p Your cabin IS on the hump so you won't have the lifeboat covers in the way. Before the people in your room arrived I went in a took a couple of pictures, the door was open.:rolleyes:

IMG_2034-1.jpg

IMG_2032-1.jpg

Hi:

My wife and I cruised to Alaska aboard the Radiance last month. We were in Cabin 8584, and we knew our neighbors on both sides. My neighbors in 8586 ask for the cabin whenever they want to cruise, and we loved ours. We saw neighbors several cabins away on their balconies quite frequently. You are on the starboard side of the ship and the coast will be in full view as you cruise north. Our cruise was 14-nights, beginning in Vancouver and ending at Los Angeles; as we cruised south, we were treated to beautiful sunsets. By the way, don't be alarmed by the loud noise from the toilets -- that is the system they use -- and remember only the three P's are to go in it.

I hope you have the same Room Attendant (Andri) -- he is great. We chose Second Seating, as we had reserved quite a few shore excursions, and after returning to the ship this would give us time to unwind before we ate. Our table was 475; we were 4 couples (although one couple never showed up the whole cruise). We became a family, and Ashley our waiter and Jerry his assistant were wonderful and became part of it as well.

The excursions we enjoyed the most were whale watching, flying by helicopter to see glaciers and landing on one (Juneau) and riding the White Pass railway then visiting an old miners camp (Skagway). We had taken a second whale watching tour at Icy Point but the weather was much worse than what we experienced earlier. At Ketchikan, we boarded a float plane which flew us to a boat to view various nature sites -- the views from the plane (and from the helicopter at Juneau) were spectacular.

You are cruising some months earlier than we did, and the days are supposed to be longer (the extra sun makes their vegetables so big). Animals may be in different parts of Alaska at different times of the year, but on a good day, you can see some spectacular sights. If you have a digital, camera and plan to take pictures, carry an additional memory card -- I took 2 2gb cards, and still needed another. Also take at least one, possibly 2, extra batteries if you use rechargeables, and don't forget your charger. My 2000+ photos will back this up.

In June, the weather should be warmer, but I suggest taking one jacket which is a little warmer. From L.L. Bean, I purchased a jacket with a hood and a detachable fleece lining; this is the same jacket you see on the Weather Channel, and in fact it is called the Weather Channel Jacket. My wife had something similar and we both had light down vests if we needed them. For cooler weather, we both had caps and mittens.

I met a number of passengers who had contracted with Royal Caribbean to have their luggage handled directgly from their home airport to the ship in Vancover. While most apparently had no trouble, I know of at least 2 couples whose baggage never made it to the ship -- imagine wearing a t-shirt on your first formal night, when you can take pictures with the Captain! We toured Alaska on land prior to the cruise so we took our own luggage to the ship. At the end of the cruise, we did take a transfer bus to the airport (supplied by Royal Caribbean; we paid $52 for both of us), but now we picked up our luggage on the dock as we had to go through Customs.

While we had cruised before, this was our first cruise on Royal Caribbean-- I know you will love it.

Thanks Sagiv666 for the info.We are so excited.We are doing the cruise first then the land tour.We were to Alaska 3 years ago. Had rented a motorhome for two weeks. This time we are going to see things we missed on the first trip.Plus go to Denali again.Thanks again:o

Thanks Sagiv666 for the info.We are so excited.We are doing the cruise first then the land tour.We were to Alaska 3 years ago. Had rented a motorhome for two weeks. This time we are going to see things we missed on the first trip.Plus go to Denali again.Thanks again:o

Glad I could help. One more piece of information. When I was in Alaska last month, I had gone on a land tour prior to meeting the Radiance. At the end of the land tour, our tour leader indicated she was going to Seward to pick up a group from a cruise. She suggested that if you go on a cruisetour (a cruise combined with a land tour), take the land portion first. On land, you live out of your suitcase and are hustled from hotel to hotel with every new place you see almost every other day, while on the cruise -- even with excursions -- life is more leisurely, your are pampered, and you can unpack without having to repack in 2 days.

This is what I was told. If you agree, is there any way you can communicate with Royal Caribbean and reverse your itinerary? Whatever happens, enjoy!

Archived