Question about dinner menus on Hawaiian cruise

tripman

My parents recently took the 14 or 15 night cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back again to Los Angeles.

The complained about the menus for dinner. Listening to them, you would be certain that only strange exotic type seafood was served every night (octupus, eel, squid, etc)

Is that true? Having never been on Celebrity, I looked around to find typical menus for celebrity, everything seemed fairly normal, nothing too strange or exotic.

So I thought maybe the menus for Hawaii are different. Is that possible, or are they just crazy?

The menu's are the same fleet-wide. But some of the fish dishes do have unusual names (at least for American's). Hake for instance, is a light white fish, that is delicious. I never see that in my local fish markets, but always on a Celebrity menu.

So maybe the "names" were not familiar to them...

Karyn

Yes, alot of the food selections are not the normal day-to-day American fare. And much of the menu is in French ... we don't speak French but learned that there are many ways to say "roast beef!" We took a pass on the dining room a couple nights because nothing, and I mean nothing, sounded appetizing. And Celebrity does not take advantage of the locally grown/caught food supply (read: why is there South American fish on an Alaska cruise ... and how long has IT been frozen?).

But, not all guests are Americans, so I think that part of the reason for somewhat odd cuisine is an attempt (and rightfully so) to please an international crowd. Hey, good pizza!

And Celebrity does not take advantage of the locally grown/caught food supply (read: why is there South American fish on an Alaska cruise ... and how long has IT been frozen?).

Does any mainstream cruise line take such an advantage? I don't think so, it's just too difficult to ensure consistency in availability and most of all *price* to depend on different suppliers in different local markets when you're trying to serve 1500-3000 dinners every night.

Yes' date=' alot of the food selections are not the normal day-to-day American fare. And much of the menu is in French ... we don't speak French but learned that there are many ways to say "roast beef!" We took a pass on the dining room a couple nights because nothing, and I mean nothing, sounded appetizing. And Celebrity does not take advantage of the locally grown/caught food supply (read: why is there South American fish on an Alaska cruise ... and how long has IT been frozen?).

But, not all guests are Americans, so I think that part of the reason for somewhat odd cuisine is an attempt (and rightfully so) to please an international crowd. Hey, good pizza![/quote']

We have found that when the menu doesn't have anything appealing, we can always order Roasted Chicken or a Steak or Pasta. Just ask your waiter, and you'll usually be served something that you'll enjoy.

Leela -- I understand your point, but the Celebrity ships had been in Alaska since MAY (we were there in Sept). And they sail there every year. Couldn't there have been more of an effort to match the meals with the region? I think it was a surprise to many ... but I know it wasn't a theme cruise.

Leela -- I understand your point' date=' but the Celebrity ships had been in Alaska since MAY (we were there in Sept). And they sail there every year. Couldn't there have been more of an effort to match the meals with the region? I think it was a surprise to many ... but I know it wasn't a theme cruise.[/quote']

On our last cruise, 9/15 Transatlantic, we had the opportunity to speak with one of the Senior Staff, and he mentioned that Celebrity MAY be making changes to match the food, with the appropriate regions. This may or may not happen in the future....but it was being considered.

We should all write or email Celebrity with suggestions or constructive critiques. I have always felt that if I'm not pleased with a situation, or have a problem...I do voice my concern (either verbally or in writing), and offer a solution likewise. I feel they do listen...

Karyn

Archived