thinking on going on the ATHENA 2008!!

seabourndt

Sailed on Athena Fremantle to Mauritius in March 2006. Athena was on a World Cruise Marseille to Marseille and she picked up some 200 mainly West Aussie paxs in Fremantle, to join the French paxs on the World Cruise. Sailed 9 days and enjoyed every minute of it. DW and I prefer smaller ships and from memory Athena carries about 500 paxs and is about 19000 tonnes. Food was good, nicely presented,crew were pleasant and helpful, cabins not large, but comfortable. We had outside cabin with window, twin beds ( not sure if there were any doubles). Has adequate deck area, small pool, outside fitness centre on upper deck ( walking, darts etc) plus interior fitness centre with equipment for a handful of people at a time. Interior and exterior bar areas easily assessible and generally well stacked.Showroom very comfortable with pleasant decor throughout.

Based on our 9 days at sea, would be happy to recommend this ship.

Trust this helps

Ross

I was on Athena as Cruise Cirector for 17 days recently - one of the nicest ship experiences I have ever had - including the larger brand names.

Well appointed, very friendly staff and an incredible Captain and Hotel Manager. You shall enjoy it.

• 3 years later...

I agree with you, except that she is a rust bucket now! The teak deck is rotten in some places and the water squirts out when you step on it. The cracked paintwork can only temporarely be filled with extra layers of paint, until the next cloud of salty water wave hits her.

She is also unstable in swelly waters despite the added "buttocks" at her stern, which are supposed to stabilise her.

A one way ticket to Alang in India would do her good as she then will help recycle some steel for a new ship!

Archived