Does your PVP do this?

bchbum641

Everytime I have booked a cruise, my PVP always acts like it is a great deal to get that past guest 2 cat. upgrade. To me it is just 2 decks higher in the same category inside, ov or balcony. We have always just done the guarantee and have gotten decent upgrades- sometimes to the next category -- ei from inside to ov. What are your experiences with this? I know when it is the guarantee there is no guarantee of an upgrade but to me going 2 floors up doesn't seem to make a difference. Does your PVP do this? I'm thinking they would rather put you in a room and be done with it then be assigning it later. Thoughts?

Carnival does like to throw that "Oh boy, a two category upgrade" thing around a lot. Take me from an inside to a balcony and we've got something to talk about. Take me from a 4A to a 4C, not so much to talk about. Still, free is free. Next time, ask if they'll trade you that upgrade for a couple bottles of Champagne. You won't be in a better position but you'll sure feel good about where you are; for a while anyway.

My TA never acts like a small upgrade is a big deal, as a matter of fact, he never really says anything and he really doesn't know much either, he actually calls me and asks questions other cruisers want to know,

but i have to keep him, he is very nice and has the cheapest prices anywhere.

I have recently taught him to ask Carnival about any discounts, price drops or specials atleast once a day when he calls Carnival, them call me if any good ones come along.

I'm fairly convinced that many PVPs have never even been on a cruise. So, to them, a "free" 2 cat upgrade sounds like a bonus. Those of us who sail alot know it's not really worth much at all, unless of course being 2 decks higher really means that much to you.

Sometime those two decks means you go from a nice quiet cabin on the Empress deck to a noisy cabin on the Veranda deck under the pool . The noise from moving deck chairs and the everything can be very loud. I personally always like knowing which cabin I have before I go.

Sometime those two decks means you go from a nice quiet cabin on the Empress deck to a noisy cabin on the Veranda deck under the pool . The noise from moving deck chairs and the everything can be very loud. I personally always like knowing which cabin I have before I go.

Ditto

Maybe I'm silly but I love getting the two cabin upgrades. I've been on quite a few cruises and everytime my PVP (who is the best) says we can move you from the balcony aft up a few floors, I get excited. On our upcoming cruise in Jan we got a 4 cabin upgrade :)

I guess I am like a little kid, its something for nothing

two cat can mean 6 decks. or just two decks but i still like to pick my cabin. also the pvp doesn't assign the cabin, the ship coordinators do

I always start by booking a 4A guar and take the past guest upgrade but always pick 6294 or 6298 if either of them are available and it's my PVP who assigns that actual cabin.

On my 2008 fall cruises the past guest upgrades aren't available yet, so I'm booked on a 4A guarantee with my cabin TBA. But my PVP said he would call me back when the upgrades are available and assign one of my favorite cabins.

Since we have a special needs child and are restricted to which cabin he can stay in, we always pick our cabin.

What our PVP does is watch the prices for me and gives me a reduced final payment or OBC if the price goes down. (since we can't do "upgrades")

To me the only benefit is that we get to pick a cabin for the price of a guarantee. That way we can get rooms next to our friends/family we are traveling with.

On the cruise we just booked a guarantee would have been $40 more per person and to pick a cabin on the Rivera deck it would have cost $60 more person but to instead we took the past passenger upgrade and we all have rooms next to each other on the Upper deck.

Everytime I have booked a cruise, my PVP always acts like it is a great deal to get that past guest 2 cat. upgrade. To me it is just 2 decks higher in the same category inside, ov or balcony. We have always just done the guarantee and have gotten decent upgrades- sometimes to the next category -- ei from inside to ov. What are your experiences with this? I know when it is the guarantee there is no guarantee of an upgrade but to me going 2 floors up doesn't seem to make a difference. Does your PVP do this? I'm thinking they would rather put you in a room and be done with it then be assigning it later. Thoughts?

My TA thought I'd be excited about the 2 category upgrade as well. When I said I prefer to stick with the 8a or 8B he was able to book me at the lowest balcony price and upgrade me to the deck I wanted. It saved me a little and I was happy without being moved up.

Archived