Cell Phone Question - Not about the Cost

EastTexans2

I haven't seen this question posted before, so what I want to know is.....if someone from home is trying to call you and you are in Mexico or someplace, do they need to use a "country code" to reach your phone, or just the usual cell phone number. Also in reverse, if you call home, do you need to use the "country code"?

Thanks for any assistance....

I haven't seen this question posted before, so what I want to know is.....if someone from home is trying to call you and you are in Mexico or someplace, do they need to use a "country code" to reach your phone, or just the usual cell phone number. Also in reverse, if you call home, do you need to use the "country code"?

Thanks for any assistance....

If someone is calling your cellphone, they just need to dial your cell number. If you are dialing someone in the states you just dial 1-the area code and number.

I haven't seen this question posted before, so what I want to know is.....if someone from home is trying to call you and you are in Mexico or someplace, do they need to use a "country code" to reach your phone, or just the usual cell phone number.
They call your cell phone just as if you were at home, no difference for THEM. You on the other hand will pay roaming charges for the minutes you are on the phone with someone who has called you, or for the minutes they leave a voice mail if your phone is turned on at the time (you will then also pay for the minutes used in retrieving that voice mail later), based on the rates shown below:

Mobile service on board ship - note all CCL ships are now equipped with their own cells so the signals are great but beware, the roaming prices are a bit pricy:

Verizon - Calls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Not Available

AT&TCalls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Send - 50¢ per message; Receive - Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text message received when roaming internationally

T-Mobile - Calls: $4.99/min; Text Message: Send - 35¢ per message; Receive - 3¢ per message

Sprint PCS – Web site says call 1-800-974-2221 for rates others reported the following - Calls: $2.99/min; Text Message: 15¢ per message

Also, AT&T and T-Mobile phones work pretty much in all countries throughout the world with the exception of Japan and Korea. See their respective web sites via the links provided above for roaming prices in the ports/countries you will be visiting. Verizon and Sprint work in quite a few Caribbean islands and Mexico if I am not mistaken – check their website via the links provided above for more detailed info.

Also in reverse, if you call home, do you need to use the "country code"?
Yes. The country code for the US is 1. On GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile) you also need to preceed the country code with + which can be accessed by pressing and holding the 0 key. On the CDMA phones (Verizon and Sprint) I am not sure if any additional steps need be taken to make calls as I do not use their services. Please refer to the links provided above to the various mobile phone providers for more details.

They call your cell phone just as if you were at home, no difference for THEM. You on the other hand will pay roaming charges for the minutes you are on the phone with someone who has called you, or for the minutes they leave a voice mail if your phone is turned on at the time (you will then also pay for the minutes used in retrieving that voice mail later), based on the rates shown below:

Mobile service on board ship - note all CCL ships are now equipped with their own cells so the signals are great but beware, the roaming prices are a bit pricy:

Verizon - Calls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Not Available

AT&TCalls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Send - 50¢ per message; Receive - Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text message received when roaming internationally

T-Mobile - Calls: $4.99/min; Text Message: Send - 35¢ per message; Receive - 3¢ per message

Sprint PCS – Web site says call 1-800-974-2221 for rates others reported the following - Calls: $2.99/min; Text Message: 15¢ per message

Also, AT&T and T-Mobile phones work pretty much in all countries throughout the world with the exception of Japan and Korea. See their respective web sites via the links provided above for roaming prices in the ports/countries you will be visiting. Verizon and Sprint work in quite a few Caribbean islands and Mexico if I am not mistaken – check their website via the links provided above for more detailed info.

Yes. The country code for the US is 1. On GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile) you also need to preceed the country code with + which can be accessed by pressing and holding the 0 key. On the CDMA phones (Verizon and Sprint) I am not sure if any additional steps need be taken to make calls as I do not use their services. Please refer to the links provided above to the various mobile phone providers for more details.

You don't need to dial the country code from your cell phone if she is calling someone in her hometown. You just dial 1-area code and number

You don't need to dial the country code from your cell phone if she is calling someone in her hometown. You just dial 1-area code and number
In case you were unaware, the 1 you start your dialing with (dial 1-area code and number) IS the country code.

We were on the Truimph eastern itinerary last month. We used our ATT phones in the US territories, St Thomas, USVI; and San Juan, Puerto Rico without roaming charges, nice to be able to check in...........

In case you were unaware, the 1 you start your dialing with (dial 1-area code and number) IS the country code.

Not really....cause when you are in the US and you call to any part of the US you still have to dial the 1. I live in NYC and if I want to call my neighbor across the street I still have to dial 1-area code and number. Yes it's a code but is certainly not the country code for the US when people call from overseas.

We were on the Truimph eastern itinerary last month. We used our ATT phones in the US territories, St Thomas, USVI; and San Juan, Puerto Rico without roaming charges, nice to be able to check in...........

I use Verizon and there was no roaming for San Juan but there was from St. Thomas.

The country code for the US is 00. On my Verizon when I call home while over seas. I have to dial 001 area code and number. I can't just hit 1 area code and number to call home. If I want to call a location in that country, I have to do the country code 1 area code and number.

For someone to call me while I'm over seas they just dial my number like the normally would.

The country code for the US is 00. On my Verizon when I call home while over seas. I have to dial 001 area code and number. I can't just hit 1 area code and number to call home. If I want to call a location in that country, I have to do the country code 1 area code and number.

For someone to call me while I'm over seas they just dial my number like the normally would.

Yes that's the code. 001

Not really....cause when you are in the US and you call to any part of the US you still have to dial the 1. I live in NYC and if I want to call my neighbor across the street I still have to dial 1-area code and number. Yes it's a code but is certainly not the country code for the US when people call from overseas.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but 1 is the country code for the US, and it is also the country code for US territories, Canada, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, and probably a couple other Caribbean Islands. Please refer to links below for more info.

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=US

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=CA

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=BS

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=KY

Oh, BTW on my cellphone I do not have to dial 1 for calls to anywhere in country code 1 when I am in a country whose country code is 1. Just area code and phone number. From a land line phone I have to dial 1 because this tells the telephone's central office that I am making a call within country code 1. This is a shortcut standard established up by the telcos. You could dial 011 before your 1-area code-phone number and you would still get connected to the same number as if you had only dialed 1-area code-phone number. The reason they establish this shortcut is because in the past they limited area codes to numbers with a zero (0) in the middle, like 202, 203, 703, 301. There was a time if you dialed a number with the second number being a 0 it signified you were dialing a long distance number, so no "1" was required. However since they ran out of area codes with a zero (0) in the middle, they expanded area codes to use all 3 digit numbers and added the country code of 1 to be dialed prior to making long distance calls. New York has implemented this in their local calling due to them having numerous area codes in their calling area. We, here in the DC area also have numerous area codes, but we do not have to dial 1 prior to making a local call. We just dial area code followed by the number. I could add a 1 at the beginning, or a 011 1, and it woudl produced the same results.

The country code for the US is 1.

The 00 you dial is equivalent to the "+" used by GSM phones, which tells your mobile provider's system that you are making an international call and the next number (1) is the country code.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 1 is the country code for the US, and it is also the country code for US territories, Canada, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, and probably a couple other Caribbean Islands. Please refer to links below for more info.

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=US

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=CA

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=BS

http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/country/codes.jsp?iso2=KY

Oh, BTW on my cellphone I do not have to dial 1 for calls to anywhere in country code 1. Just area code and phone number. From a land line phone I have to dial 1 because this tells the telephone's central office that I am making a call within country code 1. This is a shortcut standard established up by the telcos. You could dial 011 before your 1-area code-phone number and you would still get connected to the same number as if you had only dialed 1-area code-phone number. The reason they establish this shortcut is because in the past they limited area codes to numbers with a zero (0) in the middle, like 202, 203, 703, 301. There was a time if you dialed a number with the second number being a 0 it signified you were dialing a long distance number, so no "1" was required. However since they ran out of area codes with a zero (0) in the middle, they espanded area codes to use all 3 digit numbers and added the country code of 1 to be dialed prior to making long distance calls. New York has implemented this in their local calling due to them having numerous area codes in their calling area. We, here in the DC area also have numerous area codes, but we do not have to dial 1 prior to making a local call. We just dial area code followed by the number. I could add a 1 at the beginning, or a 011 1, and it woudl produced the same results.

I still disagree with you. I found this online.

If you are in England and want to call the US you dial 001 area code and number

If you are in Russia and want to call the US you dial 8101 area code and number. My mother was in Russia this summer and had to use that code to get through to me. She couldn't just dial 1-my areacode and number. It wouldn't work.

What I'm trying to say is that if you just dial 1-area code-number from any overseas city not counting Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, you will not get through.

And you are wrong when you say that you can dial 011 before your 1-area code-phone number and you would still get connected to the same number as if you had only dialed 1-area code-phone number. I just tried it and it comes on with a recording of "we're sorry your call cannot be completed as dialed".

I still disagree with you. I found this online.

If you are in England and want to call the US you dial 001 area code and number

If you are in Russia and want to call the US you dial 8101 area code and number. My mother was in Russia this summer and had to use that code to get through to me. She couldn't just dial 1-my areacode and number. It wouldn't work.

What I'm trying to say is that if you just dial 1-area code-number from any overseas city not counting Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, you will not get through.

You are absolutely right that you cannot just dial 1 area code and phone number. I never said you could. You have to access the international long distance dialing feature of the phone system you are using at the particular time. For Verizon that is "00", for GSM Phones that is "+", for land based US phones that is "011".

I assume your mother was calling from a land line in Russia. Each countries phone system has a different way of access international long distance. In Russia to access international long distance you have to dial 8-10.

When making international calls from Russia to other countries use the following dialing sequence.

8 - 10 + (country code) + (city code) + (local phone number)

The above is a direct quote from the web site whose link is provided below:

http://www.calling-codes-international.com/russia.html

You notice that the common elements between the numbers you provided above is that each ends with the country code of 1. If you were calling a number in the UK then those numbers would be 0044 and 81044 respectively. I hope that helps.

And you are wrong when you say that you can dial 011 before your 1-area code-phone number and you would still get connected to the same number as if you had only dialed 1-area code-phone number. I just tried it and it comes on with a recording of "we're sorry your call cannot be completed as dialed".
You are absolutely right. I was wrong about being able to dial a number within country code 1 in that manner from a land based phone within country code 1. But that doesn't change fact that the US country code is 1.

Well you did say that you could just dial a 001 and then 1-area-code an number and still get through. I get email notifications from the threads that I respond to and that is what you said. Take a look at your post above.;)
While I am very happy to admit when I am wrong, I am sorry to disappoint you, but I never said "you could just dial a 001 and then 1-area-code an number and still get through". Perhaps you are getting me confused with Amlee, as that is the only poster that mentioned 001.

While I am very happy to admit when I am wrong, I am sorry to disappoint you, but I never said "you could just dial a 001 and then 1-area-code an number and still get through". Perhaps you are getting me confused with Amlee, as that is the only poster that mentioned 001.

This is what you said from post #16

You could dial 011 before your 1-area code-phone number and you would still get connected to the same number as if you had only dialed 1-area code-phone number.

But you can't because I just tried it. It doesn't work, comes on with a recording.

I see what you are saying about 1 being the US country code but it is also a code within the country and within cities too.

This is what you said from post #16

You could dial 011 before your 1-area code-phone number and you would still get connected to the same number as if you had only dialed 1-area code-phone number.

But you can't because I just tried it. It doesn't work, comes on with a recording.

Yes, as I already I stated back in post 21 I was wrong on this account.

My guess is that in your post #19 001 was a typo and should have been 011.

I see what you are saying about 1 being the US country code but it is also a code within the country and within cities too.
Well since this discussion started out about mobile phones and whether one has to dial the country code when traveling internationally. The answer is yes. From GSM phones one needs to dial "+" first to access the international dialing of their GSM phone. It appeared from what Amlee stated and you confirmed, that on Verizon phones the 00, of the 001 sequence, accesses the international dialing feature. However, that is not necessarily the case. If the OP uses a Verizon phone then it would be best to check out Verizon’s web site for detailed dialing instructions as they vary depending on location, and Verizon service does not work in many countries including all of Europe. See the link below for dialing sequences for Verizon phones from international locations. Unfortunately they do not list any ships.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/internationalsvcs/cdmadialinginst.html

I would recommend that Sprint users do the same and check the Sprint web site; although it should be similar to that of Verizon since they use the same technology.

For GSM users below is the international dialing sequence:

"+" + country code + city/area code + telephone number.

Plus sign "+" is accessed by holding down the zero (0) key.

Yes, as I already I stated back in post 21 I was wrong on this account.

My guess is that in your post #19 001 was a typo and should have been 011.

Well since this discussion started out about mobile phones and whether one has to dial the country code when traveling internationally. The answer is yes. From GSM phones one needs to dial "+" first to access the international dialing of their GSM phone. It appeared from what Amlee stated and you confirmed, that on Verizon phones the 00, of the 001 sequence, accesses the international dialing feature. However, that is not necessarily the case. If the OP uses a Verizon phone then it would be best to check out Verizon’s web site for detailed dialing instructions as they vary depending on location, and Verizon service does not work in many countries including all of Europe. See the link below for dialing sequences for Verizon phones from international locations. Unfortunately they do not list any ships.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/internationalsvcs/cdmadialinginst.html

I would recommend that Sprint users do the same and check the Sprint web site; although it should be similar to that of Verizon since they use the same technology.

For GSM users below is the international dialing sequence:

"+" + country code + city/area code + telephone number.

Plus sign "+" is accessed by holding down the zero (0) key.

Yes it was a typo.

Archived