Istanbul-best way to get to town

Hi All!

We are a family of four, two adults, a ten and a sixteen year old sailing on the Orchestra next Sat. I have read several posts on Istanbul and I am a little confused on what would be the best way for the four of us to get to the Old City. It sounds like ships come into port at different places or is it all one dock? We are interested in the Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque and the Haghia Sophia. Is it better to take the tram and how would this work or just catch a taxi? If we take a taxi can we use Euros or do we need turkish money? In town , do we need Turkish money or will they take Euros. Finally, can we walk to everything we need to see? Will we feel comfortable doing this on our own? We are doing several organized tours and really would like to spend the day a little more low key. Any input from those of you that have done this would be greatly appreciated. Any other families with kids and teenagers on this cruise?

Take care!

Take the tram, stops just outside the port. Buy tokens from the kiosk at the tram stop (cost 1.6YTL flat rate per trip in May this year). Very straightforward city no problems walking around, basic English usually understood. It's easiest to use turkish money to get into Hagia Sophia, and its essential at the snack bar inside. They lend you a plastic baggie to put your shoes in while visiting the Blue Mosque. Would like to go back!

Just to give you a little orientation. Ships dock in Karakoy which is across the Galata bridge from Eminonu. The Galata Bridge crosses the Golden Horn and you can walk across. Directly on the Eminonu side is the ferry port and the Egyptian Spice Market. Not far from the Spice Market is the Grand Bazaar. The old city, Sultanahmet, is on the Eminonu side of the bridge. Everything is within walking distance but it depends on how much time you have.

You might take a taxi to Sultanahmet from the port. There you can quickly tour the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia and even the Underground Cistern. The Topkapi Palace is also nearby.

From Sultanahmet you can either take the tram (or walk following the tram tracks) back to Eminonu and visit the Spice Market and the Bazaar. It's about a twenty to thirty minute walk from the Blue Mosque back to the Galata Bridge.

You can then walk back across the Galata Bridge enjoying the view and the fishermen. On the other side of the bridge (to the left) you will see the "tunel". The tunel is a one stop subway ride taking you up the hill to the main pedestrian street, Istiklal Cadessi. You can walk up Istiklal all the way to Taksim Square (the new city) enjoying the shops and food stands along the way..... about a mile long. From there it is easy to get a taxi back to the port.

Lots to do and see in Istanbul. Most take euros or US$ or you can use an ATM and get some Turkish lira.

Marty

Thank you so much for the information!

One more question, I read somewhere that long pants, no tank tops and scarves for women were required in the mosque and/or some other places? Did you bring a scarf with you and was it required, my ten year old is especially wondering this.

Anything else of interest, not to miss restaurants, sights ,etc.

Thank you again!!

Just back from Istanbul last week; Marty's given you great details.

We heard of four folks sharing a cab for $10E from the port. We hustled down the tram tracks to find a "station," which has turnstyles and a ticket counter. We had Liras to pay; don't know if they'd take Euros.

Regarding dress: In the religious buildings, they have cover-ups for those they deem need it. Basically you need your shoulders and knees covered. My travel mate was given a cover wrap and I wasn’t even though we both were wearing light tops with sleeves. We both wore capris.

At Istanbul’s blue mosque, many women came prepared with scarves to cover their heads, but they waved me in without any covering.

We went to a sultan’s tomb, and they had me cover my head from a box of scarves.

All the coolest stuff is within easy walking. Enjoy!

It is best to pay in TRY....New Turkish Lira. Just get what you need from an ATM....they are everywhere. Plenty to eat......koefte (meatballs), boreks are stuffed pastry dough, doner kebabs. Lots of places in Sultanahmet or along Istiklal Cadessi. If you are going to be there for only one day DO NOT miss the walk over the Galata Bridge and up Istiklal Cadessi. Haci Abdullah is an excellent restaurant for a traditional Ottoman lunch. It is on Sakizagaci Cadessi off of Istiklal....but there are many places to eat. The Grand Bazaar can be overwhelming so budget your time. We spent a week in Istanbul last October and could have stayed longer.

Check out the Istanbul forum on http://www.tripadvisor.com for up to date info.

Lemon Lady from NYC is an expert and has great tips.

Have fun....travel safe.

Marty

We hustled down the tram tracks to find a "station," which has turnstyles and a ticket counter. We had Liras to pay; don't know if they'd take Euros.

They definitely will not take Euros for the tram. I'd gotten some change mixed up, and the guy at the booth was very insistent that they'd only take ytl. (Heck, the euro coin would have been worth more).

National museums (Hagia Sophia, Topkapi palace) also require YTL for entrance. There's an atm near the entrance to the port, so that's a good place to pick up money.

Archived