Cabin 5054(H) Space for Scooter?

OceanLadi

I have booked this cabin for my grandmother and cousin. My grandmother is in her 90's and needs a scooter to get around on longer trips. Has anyone been in this cabin, or in sister cabin 5051, on the Oosterdam with a scooter or wheelchair?

I just want to make sure that they are comfortable and have plenty of room to get around in their cabin. Some folks have commented that some of the designated handicapped cabins are quite small.

Also, has anyone ever used the scooter rental service through HAL?

Any available pics of cabin or scooter would be appreciated too.

Thanks

OL:)

I have booked this cabin for my grandmother and cousin. My grandmother is in her 90's and needs a scooter to get around on longer trips. Has anyone been in this cabin, or in sister cabin 5051, on the Oosterdam with a scooter or wheelchair?

I just want to make sure that they are comfortable and have plenty of room to get around in their cabin. Some folks have commented that some of the designated handicapped cabins are quite small.

Also, has anyone ever used the scooter rental service through HAL?

Any available pics of cabin or scooter would be appreciated too.

Thanks

OL:)

I was in cabin 5051 on the Ooserdam last March, I thought the cabin was rather small, I don't use a scooter or wheelchair but It would really be tight. Sorry I cant give you more information. Hopefully someone can send you a picture of the cabin.

We were on Oosterdam last year with my mother-in-law who had just had knee replacement surgery a few weeks earlier. We rented a motorized scooter through scootaround.com.

On arrival at the boarding hall in San Diego, the scooter was nowhere to be found. We were frantic. But HAL staff wheeled her on board in a regular wheelchair while they looked for the scooter, and the scooter was actually plugged in to the electrical outlet in the hallway right outside her cabin when she arrived!

The scooter worked perfectly, we plugged it into the same outlet every night to recharge. We did take the key inside the cabin, but there was no problem with the scooter being left in the hallway overnight. So the size of the cabin was never an issue.

Hope this helps.

I had read about people leaving the scooter in the hallway, but didn't know if that would be a problem. I'll assume that the halls are wide enough for people to walk around the scooter without a problem.

Thanks for the info.:)

Archived