Stairs to the Beach @ Tulum Ruins

MindyLee

I've heard that at the Tulum ruins, the wooden stairs down to the beach were damaged by Hurricane Dean and still havn't been repaired, so people can't go down there.

Someone on TripAdvisor.com said as of a couple of weeks ago the stairs were still closed off. Has anyone heard? Does anyone know of another way to get down to the beach? Can you not walk/hike down over the rocks?

Dh & I booked the Tulum ruins for our shore excursion a couple of weeks ago, and one of the "selling points" was that we'd be able to spend some time enjoying the beach and cooling off before the ride back to the ship.

I'm going to be pretty ticked off if we can't get access to the beach! :(

P8267145.jpg

P8267146.jpg

P8267144-copy.jpg

These were taken in '05 a few days before Katrina hit.

Photocruiser

Beautiful, lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

But do you know anything about the current state of the stairs down to the beach there?

We stayed in the Rivera Maya a couple of weeks ago and visited a beach south of the ruins. We walked down the beach and saw that the steps were not repaired. We could see people in the water at the ruins. They have a smaller beach on the north side of the ruins. You should be able to get in the water there.

We stayed in the Rivera Maya a couple of weeks ago and visited a beach south of the ruins. We walked down the beach and saw that the steps were not repaired. We could see people in the water at the ruins. They have a smaller beach on the north side of the ruins. You should be able to get in the water there.

Thank you. That was very helpful! :)

I think you meant a few days before Wilma hit. Katrina went to the U.S.

I meant, we left Cozumel and experienced 12 foot swells back to Miami only to dock a day after Katrina hit there. We flew back to L.A. parallel to the hurricane. The pilot informed us to look out the left windows to view the storm. Other than the swells, we had a fantastic trip to the Western Carribean.

Photocruiser

Archived