What should a 7 year old wear???

Boatgirl1981

We like to dress antique formal.

CVDress.jpg

MrPete, On our cruise this summer, my hubby wore his tux with a vest and puff tie like you have on in this picture. He does alot of the cowboy action shoots and loves to dress like this. I thought he was very handsome, just as your family above.

I seriously don't think we're a dying breed. The 'denim folks' just want us to think that.

Bottom line is when you go in the dining room on formal night, look around you. Majority are dressed nicely. :)

Definately agree on this one. After all my cruises, I'm still waiting to see what some write about here. Everyone I see is always finely dressed, looking like they're proud to show off their best.

That's why I never get caught up in the heated "debate".

And it's always great to see the kids dressed, getting all that attention. The smiles go back to their ears. What an ego booster!

When we cruised in Sept. there was a baby boy about 6-8 weeks old and on formal night his parents dressed him in a tux. He looked adorable.

I saw the boys dressed in long pants and a nice shirt and it was acceptable. BUT I like the idea of them dressing up. Besides being a great photo op it teaches them to be comfortable in formal surroundings. IE: the reason I won't take my girls on a cruise. When they learn table manners, we'll start discussing the options. lol (Should I say my girls are 5, 16 and 23??? The 5 year old does better than any. And you can't say I haven't tried...) :p

I agree with Pete.

That being said, I'll give you my thoughts anyway, since you asked.

CCL does ask that kids dress the same as adults. The truth is that although many follow the dress requests, some do not. If your child walked in the dining room with nice slacks and a shirt and tie, or even a polo, he'd be ok.

BUT...as a Mom who thinks it's kinda important to teach children (because that's our job), if your son has a jacket, OR you can get one inexpensively (because they do outgrow things very quickly) it would be nice to show your son what it's like to dine in a more formal atmosphere starting NOW. Then maybe if he gets used to this (and actually may learn to appreciate it) then he won't turn into one of those men who balk at getting dressed properly.

The future women in his life will thank you. ;)

I totally agree and it makes nice family photos, too.

Couple of other posters have already said it - but go to ebay!! We took our kids last September - purchased a tuxedo from ebay (really more of a suit) for $35.00 - jacket, pants, shirt, tie, and vest. My kids were so proud of their "monkey suits" (their term for it). They wore the entire suit on formal night, and then the vest, shirt and pants a 2nd night (we were on 5 night with only one formal). They have had other opportunities to wear either the white shirt, or the black pants, so I feel that I have completely gotten my $35.00 worth out of each one.

The best reason, I think, to dress them in a suit has also been shown here - the pictures are great!! When else is the whole family gonna get gussied up for a picture?

Some boys like to dress up. If they do, a sport jacket is (as many have said) cheap on eBay.

Some don't. Rather than hassle, just put them in a nice set of pants and a dress shirt and no one is going to complain. On our recent Liberty, there were adults dressed that way on formal night and no one cared. We even saw one guy that had a set of dress pants and a t-shirt that had a tuxedo-look screen-printed on it. I thought that was clever.

Horror story from the past, while cruising with extended family: 8 year old niece went to formal night in a lovely formal gown. The morons on the ship decided to serve BBQ ribs on formal night, and by the end of the meal, the girl was wearing about a quart of the greasy red BBS sauce on her dress. I am sure that dress went in the trash later than night.

We just finished a back-to-backs on the Carnival Glory. We seen everything from tuxes to casual shorts in the dining room. Carnival does not seem to enforce a dress code. I would not spend money on an outfit for a seven year old unless you know of a consignment shop.

Archived