Dzibilchltun while pregnant?

critti710

We will be cruising in December with a large group (7 adults, 2 teenagers, 2 kids ages 8 and 10). I will be 5 months pregnant. Is there a lot of walking/climbing involved in touring the ruins? We're kind of at a loss as to what to do while in port at Progreso. Merida doesn't seem right for such a large group, especially with kids. How is the beach is Progreso comparably to the beach in Galveston? We're not spoiled beach goers by any means. Can anyone estimate how much it might cost to get our big group (11 total) to Dzibilchltun and back? Thanks in advance for any input!

My DD (15) & I cruised the Ecstasy last year & we stopped in Progresso & did this tour. We were told that Progresso is not a very good port to get in the water, and a land tour would be better. We had friends that had previously taken the shopping trips, and weren't that impressed with them either. We decided to take the Dzibilchltun tour and really enjoyed it. (We opted for this tour, instead of Chichen Itza because we didn't want an all day excursion) My DD was afraid it would be boring, but she really had fun too. They will meet you at the port, and you will take a shuttle from there to your bus. The bus is air-conditioned, and does have a bathroom in it. It was very nice. The ride wasn't too long, and the guide talks & tells you about sites along the way and answers any questions you have about Progresso. When you arrive, you walk a short distance to a museum, and the guide takes you through it explaining things. We were very impressed with the museum. Very nice. Then, you take a short (easy) walk to the ruins. The guide explains things along the way, and then you are basically left to explore on your own. You may climb them, if you are so inclined, but you do not have to, to see them. My daughter climbed on everything, but I was mostly the photographer! We were there in November, and it was very hot and humid. That might be the only problem, if you are pregnant, and you have any problems with that. After we finished looking around we walked back to the museum where there is a restaurant where we got some great Nachos and an ice cold coke!

They drove us back to the pier, and we had plenty of time to browse the shops right on the pier. We discovered that the prices in these shops were mostly better than the prices we found at shops in Cozumel. Just a heads up if you find somethiing you want, but think you might find it cheaper in Cozumel.

We really enjoyed the tour, and were glad we did it. We would recommend it. I think anyone 5 months pregnant would not have any problems on this tour.

I do not remember what we had to pay. However, if you get on the Carnival website, go to your cruise, and then look at the Excursions offered. Pretend you are going to book one, and it will bring up a list of all the excursions, and their prices. This helped us to decide before the cruise what we wanted to do. However, we didn't book the tour until we got on the ship. There was just the two of us though.

We were in Progresso on 10/8/07 and Carnival had two Dzibilchaltun options

Dzibilchaltun Ruins $51 (4 hours)

Dzibilchaltun Ruins, Mexican Buffet and Horse Show $79 adult and $66 children (5.5 hours)

I am pretty sure this was one of the options listed on the Auto Progreso tour company list when you arrive at the pier. So you can take the tour and not book through Carnival, but I don't remember how much it was if you venture on your own and go with AutoProgeso.

Or you could rent a couple of vehicles (vans) the highway was pretty well marked with the major landmarks listed (Dzibilchaltun, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Merida, etc)

Archived