Questions about winter cruise from NYC to Carribean

WantVacation

If you've taken a cruise from New York City to the Carribean,

I'd like your feedback...

I'm thinking of taking a January cruise from NYC to the Carribean, but I'm concerned about whether the waves/weather gets rough in the Atlantic Ocean during that time of the year. However, I get motion sickness if it's too rocky, so I wanted to find out how steady are the ships through winter atlantic waters.

What has your experience been? (with regards to the waves or the cruise in general)

Thanks!

We've cruised twice from NYC (January 06 and January 07). Both were smooth sailing all the way to the Caribbean. However, rough seas can occur at any time (the roughest for us was May 06- coming around Cape Hatteras). Be proactive- take meclizine before boarding and continue it daily until you're comfortable.

Most ships sailing from NYC are large ships- so they're very stable. We've really enjoyed both of our NYC cruises- drive to the port, park the car and start your cruise. (Rather than drive or fly to FL a day in advance, check into hotel, taxi to port the next day, etc). You'll have cool (not cold)weather the first day- but by the second sea day- you'll be sunning by the pool.

One hint: if you leave your car at the port: the weather in NYC may be beautiful the day of your cruise, but weather changes! Pack snow shovels/brushes and "snow" clothes in a bag to leave in the car- just in case!

Yes, sailing out of NY at any time of year could be rough. We took a CTN last Oct and one day the seas were really bad. We took a cruise this past June out of NY to the Caribbean and on the 2nd day out it was rough. The rest of the time it was very calm. The North Atlantic could be rough one day and really calm the next. I wouldn't worry and just take some sort of seasickness medicine and you will be fine. :D

We did a NYC to Caribbean cruise in late December one year. The day we arrived in NYC there was a blizzard and very luckily we were one of the last planes to arrive before they shut down the airports. Even the rails shut down, so there were only about 300 of us on the ship until we hit our first port in Florida where those that didn't make it came aboard. The crew built a snowman on the pool deck which lasted all the way down to Cape Canaveral, where they finally tossed it overboard. The roughest waters were right around Cape Hatteras. At lunch, I actually loved watching the horizon line reach go past the top of the window and then go past the bottom which was fine until hubby asked me what I was doing and I told him. Immediately, everybody at the table promptly looked at the window and turned green. I definitely found out that I loved rough waters - now my biggest dream is to go around South America just so that I can go through the Cape.

Archived