snorkeling will determine the cruise

letsgosomewhere

Plans for a Dec vacation were cancelled. So now I'm looking at a January vacation, and wonder where the weather (water temp. wind, clarity of water) is best that time of year. Aruba had a cold and rough snorkel trip on our other January cruise and when we got to St Thomas the weather caused our snorkel trip to St John to be cancelled. Is that likely for Jan? Coincidence? I was considering staying at a resort in the Riviera Maya, but with a cruise, there is such diversity. Better odds at better weather, you know? TIA!

I went on a cruise mid-December last year to Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya. The snorkeling was fantastic, we had not one issue other than it poured when we were in Belize, we still went snorkeling anyway and had the time of our lives on that trip. And we had one bad at sea day with some wicked storms. Not sure if that helps you at all! :)

If snorkeling is the determining factor, as it should be:) , then book a Western Carib itinerary. If it includes Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan (especially Roatan), all the better!!!

That's not to say there aren't excellent Eastern ports. There are. But overall Western is more consistent for first rate snorkel trips. The winter weather is also less susceptible to storms and rough seas.

I agree the western is better for snorkeling. Belize and Roatan were out of this world. I can't even begin to go on about everything we saw there. Spotted eagle rays, nurse sharks galor, morays, caribbean lobsters, dolphins, octopus, pristine corals, rays.... I posted some of my Belize pics in the thread about the Olympus Stylus 770 on this board. Check them out if you need convincing :)

The coral alone is just gorgeous. The most beautiful, untouched/unscathed by man that I have ever seen!

• 10 months later...
Plans for a Dec vacation were cancelled. So now I'm looking at a January vacation, and wonder where the weather (water temp. wind, clarity of water) is best that time of year. Aruba had a cold and rough snorkel trip on our other January cruise and when we got to St Thomas the weather caused our snorkel trip to St John to be cancelled. Is that likely for Jan? Coincidence? I was considering staying at a resort in the Riviera Maya, but with a cruise, there is such diversity. Better odds at better weather, you know? TIA!

hi,

water is excellent that time of year.

here's the places i have snorkled and that's the time of year i try to go every year or so.

cozumel-***** got to see an octopus yippppeeeee

belize-****awesome

grand caymen-**** stingray city

costa maya-###1/2 star:rolleyes:

Archived