Uxmal or Chichen Itza??

RdRunner

Am booked to go to Progresso in January and already looking/thinking about excursions. Which is better - Uxmal or Chichen Itza? How long does it take to get there (both)? Any info on either one would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Have not taken a cruise related tour to these sites. You can go to the Carnival web site and search Shore Excursions for Progresso/Merida for more details..

Expect to travel....

From Progresso to Merida. about 25/30 miles.

From Merida to Uxmal...... about 45/50 miles.

From Merida to Chichen... about 75/80 miles.

Tour notes 7.0 hrs for Chichen Itza (5 of that is travel) leaving you about 2 hours on site.

Travel time for Uxmal slightly shorter (4.5 hr) but with total tour time of 6.5 hrs, you still only get about 2 hrs on site.

I have been to both sites on ground tours and would recommend Chichen Itza if you have to choose one over the other.

Would also recommend, if you can find, travel books by Richard Bloomgarden.. "The Easy Guide to Chichen Itza" and "The Easy Guide to Uxmal". I have learned that these books have been out of print since 1992 but you can still find them out there. I am sure any Borders - Barnes&Noble have similar books.

from the introduction of "The Easy Guide to Chichen Itza"... (1975).

"The archaeological zone of Chichen Itza is one of the most visited regions of Mexico. This is the largest zone in the Yucatan and one of the best preserved sites that you could see. Anyone who visits Merida should make a very special effort to spend at least one day sightseeing here amidst the glories if the past."

No matter which site you visit, it is in your best interest to have some prior knowledge of what you are going to see. Your guide will be trying to tell you a little bit about everything and you may miss some of the more subtle facts of the site. Get a guide book - do your homework - impress your friends!;)

If you, or anyone has questions, let me know... I have lots of books and a relative that teaches at FSU - conducts Maya tours - read glyphs - speaks fluent spanish and an indian dialect or two... He's my tour guide !!:)

UPCrawfish:

Thank you for the advice -it's greatly appreciated! You have a great point on getting a good guide book and learning about each site. Sounds like a wonderful idea! Whichever one we choose, it sounds like it would be an awesome thing to see. Anyway, thanks again! :)

We took the carnival tour to Chichen Itza it was 7 hrs long the bus ride took 2and half hrs there and back the bus is nice big ac bus you get a lunch on the way back sandwich, chips, snack cake, and water I really enjoyed this tour it was very awesome to see the ruins the only draw back is that you can not climb anything any more. hope this helps

Archived