Beaches-Puerto Limon

jackdiamond

I would greatly appreciate the observations of anyone who was recently visited any of the beaches in Puerto Limon as to the sand and water quality, chair and umbrella rental, snorkeling potential and proximity to the pier. Also, your comments vis-a-vis, the crime potential would be appreciated.

Thank you-Jack Diamond

• 4 weeks later...
I would greatly appreciate the observations of anyone who was recently visited any of the beaches in Puerto Limon as to the sand and water quality, chair and umbrella rental, snorkeling potential and proximity to the pier. Also, your comments vis-a-vis, the crime potential would be appreciated.

Thank you-Jack Diamond

While I don't recall the name of it, it appears there is a beach a couple of miles north of Puerto Limon. It is a surfers beach however, and not suitable for snorkeling We will go there anyway next week on the Miracle and have lunch and a brew or two under the principle that a beach and the sea is good.

Most of the resorts are located along this stretch of beach if you google for lodging there.

Hugh in Dallas

diamond,

i just got back from liberty and we visited playa bonita in limon. very nice beach. you can get a cab or if you have a group, a small bus at pier - $5 each way pp. have them drop you at the 2nd bar/restaurant.(blue awning)

beach is nice, small waves, warm water, no snorkling but no rocks. very few beach chairs are available for rent. there are 2 bar/rest. and a grocery store at beach. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR DRIVER COME PICK YOU UP AND MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM CORRECT TIME AS CR MIGHT BE DIFFERENT TIME THAN SHIP TIME.!!!!

the bar has great food($4-$8) lunches, $2 ice cold beer, $4 pina colada and bottle sodas/water. there is a small sovenier stand with coffee/t-shirts,etc.

the pier has a great little market for all the gifts you need, friendly people

(not pushy) and they do take US Dollars there and at beach. prices might be in colones which is 500 to 1 US dollar but they do take US Dollars.

the town of limon is poor and very ruff. but our bus ride over was less than 20 minutes to beach. hope this helps.

barry

Limon did appear poor and the town was covered in litter the Sunday we were there. We took a taxi tour arranged by Charlie Soto of the canal, rainforest, banana plantation, etc.

We did go to Playa Bonita - it is a public beach and lots of Costa Rican families were there on Sunday. They did have chair rental, and seemed similar to was described above. Except we thought the beach was just so-so. The sand is coarse and a brownish white and there is one area where there are many coral rocks near the shore. I guess the difference in opinion is due to the fact that we have access to beautiful FL beaches. There is certainly nothing wrong with this beach, just not the most beautiful we have seen.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived