Motion Sickness at sea

macgirl

I've never cruised before, and this isn't something I've given much thought to at all. We're going on the Navigator on Oct 9 (but I'm not excited ;) ), and figured on those huge ships it just wouldn't be an issue.

I do however, get somewhat nauseous during BAD turbulence when flying, is this similar to the motion on a ship? Just wondering if I should be concerned/prepared for motion sickness.

What's the best thing out there for motion sickness? I took Gravol a few times and it was horrible, I didn't even know what planet I was on, and it left me "hungover" for days. I don't drink or anything, so I really react strongly to meds. Isnt' there some kinda patch you can wear or something?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I get car and air sick and just take a Bonine tablet everyday and never had a problem. It is right next to the Dramamine at the drugstore but the Bonine will not make you drowsy. I just take one the morning of the cruise and one everyday after and it worked when rough seas on the Enchantment one year.

Neither one really works AFTER you are sick.

Just take one everyday for piece of mind.

Make sure you get the non drowsy formula and start taking it the day before. Thats why there are 8 tablets in the pack. My wife also swears by the wrist bands. She gets motion sicknessa lso and got sick the first night on the AOS. The bonine helped but she was out of commision the first day until it kicked in. On our second trip on the Voyager, she started taking it the day before as the box says and was fine the entire trip. Even though we had some pretty rough seas on the last night.

I get car, bus and air sick, I also get sick from most of the rides in the park. When I say sick, I don't mean just nauseous... :mad: However, I am happy to report, I rarely get sick on a cruise boat. I do get sick when the sea is really rough, and when I am on a small boat. Therefore, be optimistic, you may not get sick at all, and enjoy!

another vote for Bonine. My wife takes it and says it works great. She also swears by the Sea-Bands. About 8 bucks at the drugstore. Worst thing we were told before our first cruise was you won't even know you are on a ship. You do feel motion, but it is not horrible most of the time, but you do know it.

If you are sensitive to medication like I am, stay away from the patch. I take a half tablet of the Meclizine (generic for Bonine and much cheaper). It comes in a bottle and has about 60 chewable tablets - ask the pharmacist). We also take ginger tablets daily if needed.

If you decide on the patch, cut it in half before applying and do not touch your eyes until your hands and fingers have been thouroughly washed.

Cutting a patch in half is not a good idea. I have experience in the manufacture of patch delivery medications.

The drug is time released through the patch onto you skin. If you cut it in half there is a good chance that you will get a spike of drug quickly and then very little long term delivery.

The note to wash you hands before touching your face is a very good idea.

The "patch" you are talking about here is a scopalamine medicated patch. Scopalamine is not to be taken lightly, it is a narcotic and hence can make some people drowsy, grumpy and "out of it". Years ago (I am a nurse) we used scopalamine to knock out women in labor. Many times they became combatitive , crying, screaming, (you get the picture). Then they would later "wake up" with no memory of any events (including the birth of their own child). Anyway, if you drink any alcohol you should be extremely cautious of this patch. The seabands and bonine are a better combo. Also, I highly recommend capsules of Ginger, you can buy these at any health food store. A study in Germany compared ginger to scopalamine in x2 of 50 individuals who had a history of motion sickness. The ginger was stated to be effective in 46 of 50 patients, the scop 45 of 50 people.

Hope that helps!!!

:)

I've never cruised before, and this isn't something I've given much thought to at all. We're going on the Navigator on Oct 9 (but I'm not excited ;) ), and figured on those huge ships it just wouldn't be an issue.

I do however, get somewhat nauseous during BAD turbulence when flying, is this similar to the motion on a ship? Just wondering if I should be concerned/prepared for motion sickness.

What's the best thing out there for motion sickness? I took Gravol a few times and it was horrible, I didn't even know what planet I was on, and it left me "hungover" for days. I don't drink or anything, so I really react strongly to meds. Isnt' there some kinda patch you can wear or something?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey!

I just returned from a cruise on Sunday 8/29. The last time I was on a cruise was 1997 and we hit 15 foot seas, I was sick for hours. It was horrible. This time I was really nervous and like your self, I did not want to take medication. So I asked around and people told me to get "Ginger Crystal" and "Seabands"... A half hour before the cruise I put the Seabands on and never took them off. Well, we hit that tropical storm Gaston on Saturday Morning.. The seas were very very high, and guess what, I DID NOT GET SICK... The Seabands worked great... I did not need the Ginger either. You can get the bands at Target. Buy two pairs so when you shower you can switch to your dry pair...

Good Luck and I hope this helped..

Thanks everyone, excellent suggestions. I'm in Canada, and we don't have Target here, would Walmart or a drugstore carry the seabands? What exactly are they anyway??

And in case anyone from Canada is reading this, Bonine is known as Bonamine here, it's manufactured by Pfizer.

Let me just say yes I have used the patch. You change it every 3 days and it does work and I had no side effects. Would I get it again-no becasue of financial. Bonine for 8 tablets cost $3.50 and my son took 1 a day and was fine. The patch cost me $35.00 brand copay for 8 patches which I only needed 2. They expire in a year so I will have them for next time.

Hey Macgirl

As a fellow Canadian, (and seaband user) I can tell you that the seabands are available in Walmart, Real Canadian Superstore, and London Drugs. Shoppers should have them too. They should run about $14 for a pair. They look like thick ponytail bands with a button in the middle for pressure. You can usually find them in the drugstore where the travel goodies are like weekly pill cases and earplugs, etc. I used the seabands myself on my last cruise, and they worked for me. I also took the Bonamine, but it is a 24 hour pill, so 12 hours later at 6am I was a little bit dopey (nothing like dramamine though) - take it in the early morning for sure or just before you go to bed if the nightime bothers you. You can also take just 1/2 a pill - which I should have done - just to see if it agrees with you. Make sure you follow the directions very carefully as to the placement of the seabands on your wrist. Saw some people wearing them in not the right spot, and complaining that they didn't work. :confused: Anyway, good luck with them. A small price to pay for not ruining your cruise. And, if they work very well for you, keep them for your next cruise also. You can get them in many colors. Black, white, blue, red, and yellow. I chose white because it would go with any outfit.

Hope this helps!! :D

We always carry Walmart brand non-drowsy motion sickness pills. If we have known ahead of time that the seas are going to be rough, we will take them. And never gotten sick. We have given them to friends that were sea sick and they started working almost immediately.

I get sick watching motion on tv or riding in a car or plane. Needless to say, I have tried just about everything on the market. As far as on a cruise, I think the patch works best for me. It is not prescription in Canada for the canadians. It does blur my vision, normally I do not wear any glasses but I take a pair of reading glasses on the cruise for reading books. That is the only side effect I have had other than being able to get a really good nights sleep. Of course everyone will react differently to the drug.

I also own the relief band that has a battery and sends electronic pulses to you. I find that this works great when I am on a plane but I don't think it is the answer for a whole week. It makes my wrist sore as does the generic sea bands that the others have spoken of.

My husband always takes bonine and never has any issues. Also the ship has less motion in the center and down low. However, we booked the aft on our next cruise and will let you know if that is a mistake. I wish you a great cruise no matter what method you choose!

Diane

Scopolamine is not a narcotic. It does have side effects that everyone should be versed with, as with any medication. It will give you a very dry mouth, and yes, it has affect my eyesight slightly. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL (in large quantities with it, occ glass of wine is ok). I speak from experiance.

I also have used the sea bands, I actually think they may work !

Bonamine has never worked for me. Dramamine didn't either. Ginger did nothing, either did green apples.

All these remedies have been tried by moi ! I am not sick in a car, a small boat, an airplane or a train but........... about 1 1/2 hours out to sea......:eek:

You cannot cut any kind of patch, some patches (of many different types of medications )can have a piece of opsite placed under half of them, but this really is done in special cases such as palliative care.

Scopolamine in Canada is behind the pharmacist shelf, you have to ask for it. It is not a prescription, and yes it is expensive, but if you exchange the dollar, you might fair better !

Sign me............"The barfer that knows"

Worfsmom:

I beg to differ on the scopalomine, it is a belladonna alkaloid, technically it is a anticholinergic drug, but it has narcotic-like effects. Hence the dry mouth, dilated pupils, depressed respirations, urinary retention, disorientation, agitation, etc. You most certainly can not get it in the U.S. over the counter. It is NOT candy. That was the point I wanted to make.

Alphawave, since you are a nurse, would happen to know why there is a warning on the back of the Dramamine/Bonine boxes that say "people with chronic bronchitis should check with Dr. before using"? :confused: I do have chronic bronchitis and would like to use the Bonine that I bought without reading the warnings first :o . If you know the reason or could find out for me, I would appreciate it.

JoAnna

I don't know absolutely the specific mechanism, but.....bonine CAN have the possible side effect of depressed respirations. If you do not deep breathe, then an already compromised respiratory system cannot clear secretions, etc., and the possibility of pneumonia exists. Yes, you are right, emphysema or chronic bronchitis people should not take this drug. There are many anti-cholenergic side effects thus the central nervous system is affected, as I mentioned with the breathing being depressed. I would skip this med unless you specifically get clearance through your physician for YOUR specific condition.

God Bless,

(Don't worry - ginger and the Seaband work GREAT)

• 4 months later...

Archived