Pompeii & Mt. Vesuvius or Amalfi Coast

My wife and I are thinking of hiking up Mt. Vesuvius then going to see Pompeii or else going to see the beautiful Amalfi Coast. This is both of our first times in Italy. What would someone who has maybe seen both recommend for us? Thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We used AP Tours (http://www.APTours.it) and did both Pompeii & the Amalfi coast in one day. It was wonderful. They arranged a private guide for us at Pompeii, which really made the place come alive. Sharing with another couple it was not much more than what the ship offered, and we had the minivan (guide at Pompeii) and driver to ourselves. The coast is just breathtaking. Unless you have a strong need to hike up Mt. Vesuvius, I’d suggest you do something like what we did.

Enjoy :)

We just did Amalfi Coast and Pompeii with Limo In Rome. It was an amazing day and we had a great time (and an awesome lunch) in Positano. A couple at our dinner table did the Vesuvius hike, but they'd been to Italy before.

If you get an early start on your day--you can do both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. :)

Pompeii was amazing.

But the Amalif Coast is absolutely breathtaking. For us, this was the one trip that truly was special--and was everyone in our groups favorite stop.

If you want to hike--go ahead and go to Mt. Vesuvius. But--truly...the Amalfi coast is not to be missed. :)

We just returned last week from a Med Cruise. We did the Amalfi Drive and Pompeii tour. Amalfi was incredible--the drive was beautiful. There was also lunch at Positano. There was plenty of time for both including shopping after lunch. I would highly recommend this tour.

We met some couples off this board who were nice enough to let us join their day tours in both Naples and Florence for our upcoming trip. 9 hour tours booked through driverinrome that sound amazing on their website. Especially looking forward to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast which we've heard so many great things about.

My wife and I are thinking of hiking up Mt. Vesuvius then going to see Pompeii or else going to see the beautiful Amalfi Coast. This is both of our first times in Italy. What would someone who has maybe seen both recommend for us? Thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We used Drive Amalfi (*****) for our private tour of the coast and Pompeii. We had a private guide for Pompeii also, which was very interesting. Our guide thru Drive Amalfi was Adriano. Out of the 10 different tours we had during the cruise, he was our favorite. Very personable and made for a very enjoyable day.

Kelley

Here is my 2 cents, after being in this area 6 times. (and still, I have not seen everything I want too on the Amafli coast)

1st- where are you docking? Naples? You cannot do Pompeii and the TRUE Amalfi coast in one day. If you dock in Sorrento, don't waste your time going backwards to Pompeii.

Also, read the discription carefully of the Amalfi coast tour when combined with Pompeii. (I promise you will not even get close to experiencing the Amalfi coast)

I feel the TRUE Amalfi coast is from Positano to Ravello (even to Verti, which is where I went too) Sometimes you can start with Sorrento, but it is better to do a Pompeii/Sorrento tour (from Naples)

2nd- Vans larger than 16 pax and no longer allowed DOWN into Positano. So on a cruise ship tour, you will never see the true Positano.

If you are not going to spend the money for a private driver, DO NOT waste your money on a Amalfi coast tour.

So, the bottom line is for the 1st time, I would diffinetly do the Amalfi, as long as you get to go from Positano to at least Ravello.

Pompeii should wait till next time (becuse when you see this area, you will be back and not on a cruise ship)

And IMHO, I don't know why anyone would want to go up to Vesuvius (or Etna) when they are in such a beautiful part of Italy with so much to see.

And my 2 cents on Capri, you need to know how many ships are in port that day. Capri is worst than Disney world at spring break with more than 2 ships in.

I have been to Pompeii twice. Once as a teenager and now at age 42 and what a world of difference this makes!

First let me say that it was a really hot summer day when I went to Pompeii and still I wished we were there for much longer than we were. Even with the heat.

Take a taxi from the ship- no need to go on the tour bus. There will be taxis readily available at both ends. Then there is no time constraint.

If you take the bus- they will make you spend valuable time waiting in the Curio/ Cameo store. This eats up 1/2 hour of the tour and I had no interest in shopping at Pompeii.

Bring along a large bottle of water from the ship- that you will be able to refill at a water fountain in the middle of Pompeii.

Buy the before and after book that they sell just outside the entrance to Pompeii. It is 10 Euros and worth every penny. With this you will be able to do your own walking tour. The guided tour was annoying because you are with a pack of people. Just go it alone and plan on being there for four hours.

I loved Pompeii but would do it on my own at my own pace and make sure that you have something with you to describe what each building is. The buildings aren't marked and there are no English signs along route to help educate you.

I want to go back to Pompeii without the tour!

Archived