Western Carribean

cruzinmomma

After a whole bunch of research and a couple of postings, I had decided on excursions, but the more I read back threads, the more I change my mind. My kids are 11 mo and 3 1/2 years, and I am traveling with my mother.

I would like your opinion on the following:

Montego Bay: Sunset Beach--which is all we are brave enough to do. Several others from our cruise are going too, we are making it a group affair.

Cozumel: we want to do the beach. I had decided on Playa Mia beach break, but after reading a couple of reviews that mentioned sloppy drunks, rethought that. How is Paradise Beach, how easy is it to get to by cab? Is there some shopping close to port that we can do after we head back toward the boat? Do you suggest something different for little ones?

Grand Cayman: Hell/Turtle Farm/Stingray City excursion. This one goes everywhere that we want to go. If my 3 year old is brave enough, I figure I can hold her and we can wade. If not, I thought the boat ride would be fun and we can look from the boat. (My mom can hold the baby in the boat if I get in the water with my oldest).

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I have not traveled with children quite as young as yours... but we have taken our son to most of the places you mentioned.

Sunset Beach is great for kids. They can play in the sand at the beach... (your beach lounge chair will be within arms distance from the children at the edge of the water). There is also a pool at sunset beach with very shallow ( may have even been zero depth) for the children. This is the pool back by the water slides and lazy river. You will have a nice time here.

Cozumel, I have not been to the beaches you mentioned but last year we went to Chaakanaab state park which was beautiful!!! There is a lagoon area for children ( as the beach area is a rock cliff with steps going down into the water. There is also a pool that was very clean. I also have to mention that the bathrooms were incredible here!!! The stone counter sinks and large stalls.... the niceset on any island i have been to!!!!!!

Grand Cayman, we have done sting ray city every time we have been there( about 4 times now i think). The last time we did the island tour with the turtle farm. I am sure your children will enjoy this... they can even touch and hold a turtle!!! The boat ride and sting ray city will work as you planned. We brought our son when he was 5. He went in the water for a few minutes with my husband and then went back to the boat. The boat is parked right there by the group so they can see everything going on. (BTW... we did this excursion with nativeway water sports... they are great!!!!!!) The boats will have life jackets that the children can wear in the water... but we also brought our own.

We took grandkids 3,4,5 & 5 on the Western Carib. route two years ago--their parents went too. As we were in Ocho Rios rather than Montego Bay, I can't help you with that port.

We took the kids to Paradise Beach which was perfect for the little kids. They had so much fun just playing in the water and sand, and it is very clean and beautiful. This was pre-Wilma, so someone who has been there afterwards might be able to tell you how the beach is now. I think they have pretty much rebuilt it. It was about a 15 minute cab ride away--lots of cabs available at the dock and at the beach.

If you dock at the downtown dock, there is loads of shopping all around the pier area as well as all of the downtown. If you use the other dock--farther from downtown (sorry I can't remember their names)--there is a shopping area right near the pier, and downtown isn't too far away.

We did a snorkeling and stingray tour with Captain Marvin in Grand Cayman and had a great time. It was a little cool and choppy that day, fine for us adults, but the little kids didn't stay in the water long and only one 5 year old would get in with the stingrays ( in her dad's arms) but they loved the boat ride, seeing the rays from the boat, etc. I know they would have enjoyed the turtles also.

Have fun! We sure did.

I have not traveled with children quite as young as yours... but we have taken our son to most of the places you mentioned.

Sunset Beach is great for kids. They can play in the sand at the beach... (your beach lounge chair will be within arms distance from the children at the edge of the water). There is also a pool at sunset beach with very shallow ( may have even been zero depth) for the children. This is the pool back by the water slides and lazy river. You will have a nice time here.

Cozumel, I have not been to the beaches you mentioned but last year we went to Chaakanaab state park which was beautiful!!! There is a lagoon area for children ( as the beach area is a rock cliff with steps going down into the water. There is also a pool that was very clean. I also have to mention that the bathrooms were incredible here!!! The stone counter sinks and large stalls.... the niceset on any island i have been to!!!!!!

Grand Cayman, we have done sting ray city every time we have been there( about 4 times now i think). The last time we did the island tour with the turtle farm. I am sure your children will enjoy this... they can even touch and hold a turtle!!! The boat ride and sting ray city will work as you planned. We brought our son when he was 5. He went in the water for a few minutes with my husband and then went back to the boat. The boat is parked right there by the group so they can see everything going on. (BTW... we did this excursion with nativeway water sports... they are great!!!!!!) The boats will have life jackets that the children can wear in the water... but we also brought our own.

Thanks! I wondered about Chakaanaab state park. I have read about it being rocky and I didn't know that they had a children's area. It is on our list of possibilities too. I appreciate the input!

We took grandkids 3,4,5 & 5 on the Western Carib. route two years ago--their parents went too. As we were in Ocho Rios rather than Montego Bay, I can't help you with that port.

We took the kids to Paradise Beach which was perfect for the little kids. They had so much fun just playing in the water and sand, and it is very clean and beautiful. This was pre-Wilma, so someone who has been there afterwards might be able to tell you how the beach is now. I think they have pretty much rebuilt it. It was about a 15 minute cab ride away--lots of cabs available at the dock and at the beach.

If you dock at the downtown dock, there is loads of shopping all around the pier area as well as all of the downtown. If you use the other dock--farther from downtown (sorry I can't remember their names)--there is a shopping area right near the pier, and downtown isn't too far away.

We did a snorkeling and stingray tour with Captain Marvin in Grand Cayman and had a great time. It was a little cool and choppy that day, fine for us adults, but the little kids didn't stay in the water long and only one 5 year old would get in with the stingrays ( in her dad's arms) but they loved the boat ride, seeing the rays from the boat, etc. I know they would have enjoyed the turtles also.

Have fun! We sure did.

Thanks! I am going to look and see if I can figure out which dock we are using. I have read lots of good things about Captain Marvin. Several of the people from our roll call are going to use them. I might look and see if they have a combo tour like Carnival's. I can't wait to go!

Archived