Just back review P5 - Pacific Sun Butterfly Whispers

fishart

This is part five (final) of my review of our recent October 2007 trip on the Pacific Sun – N731 Butterfly Whispers…

Review 1 about our cabin – click this below link …. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=647745

Review 2 about staff and boarding at Wharf 8 is here… http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=648017

Review 3 about food is here…

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=648115

Review 4 is about the islands visited including, Isle of Pines, Ouvea, and Noumea

Click here to read… http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=648152

IN CONCLUSION:

Thanks to all for your kind comments on my past reviews…if it wasn’t for this forum, I feel our first cruise experience would not have been as much of a success.. So a big congrats to all contributors of this forum….clap…clap…clap…clap…

Now, this is a bit scrambled as I try to collect thoughts of our experiences…I think probably the best way to finish is to summarise high-lights and low-lights..

Highlights:

* Going under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the long toot of the Pacific Sun echoing through your body ….

* Meeting new faces and breaking out of the old mold…having the time to find oneself again…

* Not having to think about cooking and cleaning….and appreciating the efforts of those who do these jobs to make my holiday most enjoyable…

* Spending quality time with the family – rejuvenating romance..

* Seeing different cultures and facing cultural challenges – both the good and the bad…

* Bingo, bingo bingo…. Ha ha ha

* Acquiring sore jaw muscles from smiling too much!!!!!

* Pina Colada’s - yummmmmmm

Lowlights:

* Below par weather…. Seas weren’t too rough…but very overcast and windy

* Sharing a ship with stupid arrogant people –

On a daily basis at breakfast, people would queue at a buffet that wasn’t even open yet…despite the fact that there was the same buffet open just steps away on the other side of the ship…

The poor staff who was trying to cook and setup the second buffet would have to endure horrid stares and crud comments from these “ignoramus’s”… even after they were advised they can get their breakfast in the other servery…

My hubby did a test…he ate his cereal, drank his coffee, went to the other (open) servery – waited in line (less than 8 minute wait at the worse of line-ups)…brought back his breakfast, eating, and yet still, these silly people persisted to stay in line at an unopened servery… WHAT IS THAT ABOUT!!!!!

* Ignorant guests who don’t consider others who are sleeping…and who abuse the courtesy of the serving staff / crew..

Okay, so reflecting back, most negatives arose from other guests and the weather, both of which are completely out of control by us and P&O.

You make the holiday how you want it…be miserable and pedantic over everything and everyone, and your cruise will mirror your efforts…

If a negative arises, be constructive and try to find a solution to better suit your needs, no-one can read your mind…ask the crew/staff for any advice and assistance if you are stumped, cause they can shed light much better than anyone else…

If you don’t like the food don’t eat it, and try again with something else, or put in a simple request for something else…you may be surprised how accommodating the kitchen staff can be if you ask with a smile… I actually asked a few times for seconds of a particular meal I enjoyed, and skipped a course in exchange…

Umm because we are boating people, we were are not as prone as others with seasickness so we didn’t have any issues, even on the last couple of days which were quite lumpy… My personal opinion, for those who are susceptible to seasickness…ask for a mid-ship room…. if you choose a bow or transom positioned room, you can guarantee you have just ruined your holiday and you can flush your hard earned $$ down the loo… You will still feel motion mid-ships but no where near as bad as the other sections… Still research your seasickness options and always be prepared…

Finally, will we do another cruise?

YES YES YES….but not on the same ship, cause that is the type of folk we are, we don’t really like to repeat holidays etc…but I am already planning a 2009 Mediterranean holiday for the three of us…CAN’T WAIT…

If in the meantime we book another Australian/South pacific cruise, we will ensure we bring with us a crowd of family/ friends cause these types of cruises work well for larger groups…Great Fun!!!!

Thanks again to all who have helped us in the past… Bon Voyage !!!

Cheers! Iesha

Thanks for a great and detailed review. It was nice reading it in parts and thoughtfully linked together so I didn't have to hunt.

Thanks aussiedisneyfan for yur kind words..

It was a challenge trying to work out how best to write/lay this all out... I wanted to keep the topics seperated so all comments and further questions remained in some kind of category...easy for those doing searches...

It was Brushtail however who commented in my 3rd review that she was having problems following the reviews seeing they were split up as different threads...so my next best solution was to add some kind of linking system... I will keep this in mind for future reviews...

Cheers,

Iesha

Thanks for the great detailed review Iesha.:)

Roll on Friday.:rolleyes:

Hi Aussiecruiser,

I will make a special request to the weather gods for your cruise to be smooth with sunny skies...

Best wishes and have fun!! I'm jealous!!!

Cheers! Iesha

Thank you have enjoyed your review:)

I am doing same cruise this friday & hope we dont have rude people like it sounded like some of your fellow passanger where:(

I agree like any holiday it really comes down to what you make of it:rolleyes:

Looking forward to good weather & meeting new friends:D

Hi Aussiecruiser,

I will make a special request to the weather gods for your cruise to be smooth with sunny skies...

Best wishes and have fun!! I'm jealous!!!

Cheers! Iesha

Thanks Iesha!!:) Pray hard.:p I was watching the webcams during my lunch breaks, and noticed how overcast the weather was. It doesn't really matter to me, we had grey overcast weather when we were in Jamaica, but it was still nice and humid.:rolleyes: I'm actually hoping for a storm one night. They are even better at sea.:)

Thank you have enjoyed your review:)

I am doing same cruise this friday & hope we dont have rude people like it sounded like some of your fellow passanger where:(

I agree like any holiday it really comes down to what you make of it:rolleyes:

Looking forward to good weather & meeting new friends:D

Any updates on the renewals yet Mark?:)

Don't worry, there are rude people everywhere in life. I guess a cruise ship is no different from the rest of the world.:rolleyes:

Thanks Iesha!!:) Pray hard.:p I was watching the webcams during my lunch breaks, and noticed how overcast the weather was. It doesn't really matter to me, we had grey overcast weather when we were in Jamaica, but it was still nice and humid.:rolleyes: I'm actually hoping for a storm one night. They are even better at sea.:)

Tell you one positive thing about bad weather, the food queues are much smaller and a free table or chair is virtually a 'given'... ha ha ha

On another note...it has been almost 3 days since we left the 'Sun' and we are still staggering around... EVERYTHING is swaying, the house, roads, paths etc etc...ha ha ha

Cheers! Iesha

I have loved reading all your reviews but wont thank you on each of them.

You have done a great job with the good as well as the bad. it will be very important reading for any new cruisers.

thank you for your time in doing this

I have loved reading all your reviews. Very indepth and you described everything so well!

You mentioned you will try cruising again but not on the same ship. Why not try Pacific Dawn coming in just under 3 weeks. Will depart from Sydney. It will be a cruise ship in a league of its own.

I like how you wrote that your trip is what you make of it. If you get upset over the little things, you will ruin your holiday. If there is a big problem, let the staff know and they will be able to help you. With 2000 ppl on board, there are going to be hiccups. But overall, the staff are fantastic and will go out of their way to fix any problem.

Glad to know you enjoyed your cruise with your family, and especially sounds like your son enjoyed himself!

Thanks for the great review!

Thanks for a fantastic review. As I mentioned I've been passing it onto my sister and brother-in-law who are cruising for the first time with us in Feb --- they've been thoroughly enjoying it and it's been prompting plenty of discussion between us!

Thanks!

Any updates on the renewals yet Mark?:)

Don't worry, there are rude people everywhere in life. I guess a cruise ship is no different from the rest of the world.:rolleyes:

Hi

No further word at this stage appears that will now not know more until we get on the boat:eek: 4 days 7 hour 50 min to boat deprture :D

I have loved reading all your reviews. Very indepth and you described everything so well!

You mentioned you will try cruising again but not on the same ship. Why not try Pacific Dawn coming in just under 3 weeks. Will depart from Sydney. It will be a cruise ship in a league of its own.

I like how you wrote that your trip is what you make of it. If you get upset over the little things, you will ruin your holiday. If there is a big problem, let the staff know and they will be able to help you. With 2000 ppl on board, there are going to be hiccups. But overall, the staff are fantastic and will go out of their way to fix any problem.

Glad to know you enjoyed your cruise with your family, and especially sounds like your son enjoyed himself!

Thanks for the great review!

Hi Luckiepuris

I agree, if we were to do another Australian one, it would be on the Dawn...she looks wonderful!!! Maybe next year....depends on how well I have been saving up for the Europe trip.. ha ha ha

In the meantime, in order to get my 'fix', I will be eagerly reading future reviews...

Cheers! Iesha

Iesha, you have given all of us a great journey through your review. For those of us who have been to those places it really felt like we were back there with you. Thank you, hope you do get to cruise on the Pacific Dawn, only 18 days for us to wait now.

Hi Sailawaysally!

I remember starting my countdown at 40 days! ha ha ha...so 18 days left (being less than 3 weeks away) is when the excitement reallys starts to ramp up!

I am very envious cause I was going to book on the Dawn but our business is at its busiest towards the end of the year so October was really the only time we could get away.... maybe next year.... sigh... :rolleyes:

Have a GREAT time!!!

Cheers! Iesha

Just another quick question ..... when I take the 1200 nautical mile long extention lead do I need to attach floats or is it alright to just drag it behind the ship? :D

Thanks for a great review Iesha

Ian

Just another quick question ..... when I take the 1200 nautical mile long extention lead do I need to attach floats or is it alright to just drag it behind the ship? :D

Ian

At least of the Captain gets lost, he'll be able to find his way back home:p

Karen

:D

Ian

Hi Ian,

You know that's a valid question... and after much deliberation (with the assitance of a couple of reds) I initially thought floats were an excellent idea, but then passing ships might get hooked up on it...hate to have a blackout!!!

Also, whilst on the matter, an idea to further invest in one of those retractable reels...you know, like the ones for garden hoses etc...might be a good idea, so then on the return leg, one doesnt have to stand on the back deck and coil the lead back in... have to be a custom made job though; to handle the 1200nm.... what ya reckon???...:D

ha ha ha Cheers! Iesha

I thought about attaching weights to make the extension lead sink below the surface so the ships could sail over it, but it would probably get tangled with a submarine.

So I had another brandy and thought about tying it to balloons filled with helium this would keep it above the ships, but below the planes.

Then I had a brilliant idea, what if P&O ran overhead powerlines from Australia to the islands. They could power the ships like they do Trams. Better for the environment and no more engine breakdowns. :rolleyes:

Maybe I will put the bottle of brandy away and have a little lay down until the room stops spinning.

As for one of those retractable reels I'm sure the show ground isn't using the Ferris Wheel at the moment :D

Ian

I thought about attaching weights to make the extension lead sink below the surface so the ships could sail over it, but it would probably get tangled with a submarine.

So I had another brandy and thought about tying it to balloons filled with helium this would keep it above the ships, but below the planes.

Then I had a brilliant idea, what if P&O ran overhead powerlines from Australia to the islands. They could power the ships like they do Trams. Better for the environment and no more engine breakdowns. :rolleyes:

Maybe I will put the bottle of brandy away and have a little lay down until the room stops spinning.

As for one of those retractable reels I'm sure the show ground isn't using the Ferris Wheel at the moment :D

Ian

BRILLIANT!!! This is it!!!

How about relocating Luna Park to the transom of the ship...Bonus having the theme park for the kiddies and the ferris wheel could double as the reel for the lead... OKay, well I'm sold!!! Ha ha ha

Alright, alright...enough dribble, I know.....:(

Archived