Bring passport off the ship with you?

perlgirlnj

And, here's another idea for the whole needing a passport to rent a car on the islands. Since passports have never been required for cruise travel to the Caribbean, and won't be required until next summer, car rental companies on the islands never required a passport be shown to rent their cars.

That's a very good point. DL it is!

I'm normally not a nut on these things, but I don't even want a copy lost. Before I know it, there will be a bunch of people named Randy with my address.

I only go DL, CC and cash when I go.

Well, they can use your DL for the same nefarious purpose if they want to.

I know people who have needed to use copies of their passports in sticky situations. If I'm not carrying the passport, I will carry the copy--and keep it safe. And stay out of trouble. And make sure I'm back at the ship on time. Whew! That's alot to remember!!:D

I have only done one cruise to the Caribbean, but have traveled extensively around the World. My first trip was to England, had to get a passport to travel. From that time on, I have kept my passport updated, and it goes with me wherever I am.

It really doesn't matter to me if I'm on a ship cruising to different ports, or on an airplane landing at different cities. That passport is your legal government ID to travel. I did leave it in the safe on the ship for formal night, with my extra money, as my clutch was so small it wouldn't hold everything. But that passport does no good in the safe on the ship.

I have heard that for the Balkans cruises, the cruiselines do collect all passports. I wouldn't be happy about that, and I would certainly ask for it back when leaving the ship. I will be cruising the Med next year, and will wait to see what Princess does for Italy, Greece and Turkey.

I don't drive without my driver's license and I don't travel without my passport!

Hi Everyone!

After reading the following board...I will now be "Keeping" my passport "close" to me. The link is about a gal who had her purse stolen this fall on a cruise...pretty "eye opening" on what happens when you "don't" have your "real" passport.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=639103

Thought I'd share this link with you in case you missed it.

Pat :)

Hi Everyone!

After reading the following board...I will now be "Keeping" my passport "close" to me. The link is about a gal who had her purse stolen this fall on a cruise...pretty "eye opening" on what happens when you "don't" have your "real" passport.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=639103

Thought I'd share this link with you in case you missed it.

Pat :)

I was on the same cruise with her. The Celebrity Constellation transatlantic last month.

Archived