Book excursion with Cruise or on our own?

dogsarah

We are going on the mariner in Dec. and I have booked a day at a resort in Ocho Rios through the cruise ship,Dolphin Discovery on our own in Cozomel and I am wondering if I should book the Atlantis Submarine on our own in Grand Cayman or if it is better to pay the extra and book through the cruise line?

How much is a cab in Grand Cayman? Or is it close enough to the dock to walk?

Also has anyone done the Atlantis Sub. and what did you think? Could you really see alot or is it merky?

I just dont know what to do,this is our first cruise.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

We are going on the mariner in Dec. and I have booked a day at a resort in Ocho Rios through the cruise ship,Dolphin Discovery on our own in Cozomel and I am wondering if I should book the Atlantis Submarine on our own in Grand Cayman or if it is better to pay the extra and book through the cruise line?

Also has anyone done the Atlantis Sub. and what did you think? Could you really see alot or is it merky?

I did the Atlantis sub a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly it was right there near the main drag. Very easy walking distance. Unless they changed it you should be good to go. Here is their website if you already don't have it

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/grandcayman.cfm

We did it last May thru the ship. We really enjoyed it. My grandson who is 4 really enjoyed it. We really went down deep. At dinner that night the other family at our table did the other underwater thing and they said they wish they had gone on our trip. They picked us up at the pier right off the boat and then after we got off before they took us back to the boat and when shopping. We really weren't that far away from the boat. You can easy walk it.

My DH and 2 DS walked in and did it on their own, no problems. (We hardly ever book excursions through the ship, so far so good!) They had a good time, they said it was a little hard to see because it was lightly raining, but said it was still worth it. I guess there is a sunken ship, mermaid fish etc....down there. They received a certificate souvenier and bought a tee-shirt. Hope this helps....:)

Thanks for all your help. I think we will wait and use that day in grand cayman to just do whatever we want at that moment. I read some reviews and they were very mixed. Some saw nothing others saw some fish but nothing great. It all depends on weather and time of day I guess. I will just wait until that day to decide what to do.

Hang out at the beach if nothing else. Oh and SHOP. They have COACH there so I am excited to go there and see if they have anything cheaper than here is Wisconsin.

Don't know if you done it before but Stingray City in Grand Cayman is a great excursion. Last time we were Ocho Rios I booked out excursion myself with a local tour guide. Much cheaper than on ship excursions and our group of 6 were about the only ones on his small bus so he took about anywhere we wanted to go. He even jumped on the front of a Red Stripe delivery truck to get us a case of Red Stripe. It's been about 5 years ago so I don't remember his name but I could find it for if you were interested.

Archived