muster drill arm bands

NoelsCat

I had no idea about these!! Great, my son is probably not going to be pleased. He had to wear one in WDW last week for the Halloween party and didn't enjoy it. He's under three so won't be at the kids camp or ever separated from a member of our group. Does RCCL use them?

RCCL uses wrist bands -- don't know if they are required for U3 YOs,

The bands are not meant to be an instrument of torture. RCCL's are a paper-like non-woven material -- very durable, very washable. The folks putting the bands on the kids are generally VERY conciouentious about putting them on loosely enough not to be uncomfortable and to allow for cleaning of the skin below them. DD's had to wear them for multiple cruises over the years without any issues. When my Father (who suffered from moderate dementia) accompanied us a few years back, we got one for him as well (he never was left "unsupervised" but we wanted to be prepared just in case). Obviously if your child is separated from you for any reason, you'd want the crew to know what his muster station is in case of emergency.

Even most 3YOs can be convinced that the bands are "cool" (they can see that all of the Big kids wear them) and if not, hey it is a good life lesson that sometimes you just have to bear with some of the rules. As for the 5YO with the sensory issues, you'll need to address your child's special needs with the Youth staff and/or other ship's staff to see if you can come up with an agreeable compromise. Good luck.

If my son can deal with it fine. But if my son uses it is as another excuse to tantrum (and please understand that my son will be 26 months old but developmentally he is not quite there and is completely non verbal. He understands a lot but could care less about the pretty bracelet. He absolutely loves helium balloons but will not let one be tied to his wrist he has a fit. When we go to the grocery store I always carry balloon weights. They give balloons away there.

As far as the ankle at home we don't where shoes in the house and I battle him in a hotel to keep slippers, shoes, or socks on so I have a feeling wearing it around his ankle will be the same issue as the shoes.

I'm just asking do I force him and deal with the tantrum and the stares or do I cut it off because if he's not with me or his dad well it means he escaped and then we're not being good parents?

Our daughter has been cruising since she was four.

She's NEVER been asked to wear an arm band.

Never seen any other kids on PRINCESS ships wearing them either?

Not in the kids club, not anywhere on the ship.

We've been on the Diamond, the Coral and the CB.:confused:

Our daughter has been cruising since she was four.

She's NEVER been asked to wear an arm band.

Never seen any other kids on PRINCESS ships wearing them either?

Not in the kids club, not anywhere on the ship.

We've been on the Diamond, the Coral and the CB.:confused:

Apparently not required on Princess but since it is required on RCCL I'm assuming it will be required on Celebrity.

Even most 3YOs can be convinced that the bands are "cool" (they can see that all of the Big kids wear them)

Even his beloved grandparents wearing a Halloween party wristband didn't convince him it was "cool." ;) (Granted, it was our first day in the park, very overwhelming for him and EXTREMELY humid for a little desert boy, so he had numerous things to be less than pleased about. With the cruise we'll have a couple days at the beach beforehand to get him used to Florida's humidity problem. :D )

I just don't get the point of having the really little kids wear them. I totally get the kids in the kids club - but Russ will always be with me or a member of my family. If, God forbid, something happened, I or any other member of the family would be picking him up and carrying him to the muster station - I'd like to see anyone get him from my arms. It's not like I (or another member of the family) will ever be more than two feet from him - any more than that is enough leeway for him to get mentioned on the "why all the child haters?" thread. ;)

. . . if he's not with me or his dad well it means he escaped and then we're not being good parents?

:D or that he's just being a toddler!

So far you seem to know what to expect -- Deal with it as it comes. Talk to the youth staff to see what options you have. Be upfront with them and you'll most likely be able to work something out.

This way your son will be exposed to a situation where there is a rule, he's supposed to follow it, but we can work things out amicably.

It may seem to be a waste on a toddler, but little parts can and do filter through to them. Hopefully those little parts will help eventually add up to a kid who can work through issues (in other words "hang in there!)

Thanks Onessa I'm trying to hang in there it just seems like every time I think I know everything that could be thrown at me here comes something else.

Not sure how the youth staff can help since he's not part of the their program.

Why do I think I'll be stuck eating pizza for dinner every night?

If my son can deal with it fine. But if my son uses it is as another excuse to tantrum (and please understand that my son will be 26 months old but developmentally he is not quite there and is completely non verbal. He understands a lot but could care less about the pretty bracelet. He absolutely loves helium balloons but will not let one be tied to his wrist he has a fit. When we go to the grocery store I always carry balloon weights. They give balloons away there.

As far as the ankle at home we don't where shoes in the house and I battle him in a hotel to keep slippers, shoes, or socks on so I have a feeling wearing it around his ankle will be the same issue as the shoes.

I'm just asking do I force him and deal with the tantrum and the stares or do I cut it off because if he's not with me or his dad well it means he escaped and then we're not being good parents?

If my kid were like this, I'd put the arm band on at the required time. Then once the tantrum starts, I'd head to my cabin and cut it off. It's not as if the muster police are going to follow you around. If someone notices, they'll ask you to try it again. If it doesn't work, head to your cabin and take it off. One other option is to take several blank stickers with you. Stick them to the back of your kid's clothes each day. Write the muster station on it with a sharpie. If someone gives you a hard time, explain the problem and show them you've made a reasonable step to solve the problem. Don't spend another moment worrying about it. It will be fine. Take some scissors. :D

You may have read my post on another thread about my ds's reaction to his tight arm band. I cut that thing off after I noticed an infection on day 3. No one noticed or said a thing after that point. I wrote his muster station on his had each day with a sharpie. Easy peasy.

Forget the pizza every night. The dining room does allow you to exit if you need to and you can return in time for dessert! You will have a great cruise. If you did not know about CC you would have first found out about the band when you entered ship the first time. Celebrity and RCCl both "band" the little ones right as you get on ship according to your muster station. You know about this site, and are hearing things way in advance. You are having a lot of time to think about things and worry about them. RELAX. You and your family are going on a cruise. You will work things out for the best for all or you. Maybe, some folks will think you are odd (hey, maybe, YOU will think they are odd!). Just let it all go. Have a wonderful cruise. Make memories for when you are in your 90s!

Forget the pizza every night. The dining room does allow you to exit if you need to and you can return in time for dessert! You will have a great cruise. If you did not know about CC you would have first found out about the band when you entered ship the first time. Celebrity and RCCl both "band" the little ones right as you get on ship according to your muster station. You know about this site, and are hearing things way in advance. You are having a lot of time to think about things and worry about them. RELAX. You and your family are going on a cruise. You will work things out for the best for all or you. Maybe, some folks will think you are odd (hey, maybe, YOU will think they are odd!). Just let it all go. Have a wonderful cruise. Make memories for when you are in your 90s!
Can't skip dinner and go in for desert. :D BTW I would have found out you should have seen the research I did for Walt Disney World (and I've been going there since 1971). I don't take my son anywhere with out researching everything. I find out all possibilities of everything. And prepare for it all. I think it has something to do with the hurricane that hit 2 weeks after he was born. I always prepared for hurricane season but couldn't prepare for a baby that wasn't born yet and due to the fact that I had a C-section and my DH prepares for nothing it was more then a disaster with not enough food for me, milk drying up, not enough back up formula, both cars on empty, no power to gas stations so when Port Everglades open to start delivering gas the gas stations still couldn't open, I was swelling up like a balloon, we had no phones, couldn't call the doctor, a tree on our house, ok you get the picture. So now I over prepare.

If my kid were like this, I'd put the arm band on at the required time. Then once the tantrum starts, I'd head to my cabin and cut it off. It's not as if the muster police are going to follow you around. If someone notices, they'll ask you to try it again. If it doesn't work, head to your cabin and take it off. One other option is to take several blank stickers with you. Stick them to the back of your kid's clothes each day. Write the muster station on it with a sharpie. If someone gives you a hard time, explain the problem and show them you've made a reasonable step to solve the problem. Don't spend another moment worrying about it. It will be fine. Take some scissors. :D

You may have read my post on another thread about my ds's reaction to his tight arm band. I cut that thing off after I noticed an infection on day 3. No one noticed or said a thing after that point. I wrote his muster station on his had each day with a sharpie. Easy peasy.

I did read your post. I like your idea of the sticker. That should work. I'm bringing my sons fruit flavored water which I use scissors to open so I will have scissor with me. He can't have more then one cup of milk and no real juice because he reacts and because he works up a sweat I want him to drink and sometimes he doesn't get enough water. The ship has lemonade all day but too much sugar. OK yes I over prepare. You should have seen me at Disney. However my DH was grateful when he had to take care of him while I attended a business conference and he took him to the zoo and I had a feeling there wasn't anything my son would eat. My husband panicked then looked in the diaper bag and found a ready to eat mac and cheese.

oops sorry! the Youth Club staff "man" the table at embarkation where they do the muster station bands.

I've never seen that. Definetly not on Celebrity where I boarded, handed over my bag, and was brought straight down the center staircase to my cabin. And I didn't notice it last year on Princess with my windy way to my cabin.

My previous to cruises before those I was with a group of 50 and I wouldn't have noticed anything. :DAnd before those was too long ago for me to remember details.

Well whatever. I'll bring stickers and a marker and if he has a fit I'll give that a shot and see if they can deal with it.

My son has been on 7 cruises, all Carnival. Only on this last cruise (age 4) did he actually wear the armband. Up to this point we have brought a sharpie and put the letter on his hand. He does, however, wear a medic alert bracelet with my cell phone number on it.

Another point....

Carnival's cabin doors do not lock from the inside and all it takes is for a little one to pull down on the handle and they are gone...so be careful if you are in the bathroom, shower, asleep, etc. that your little one doesn't decide to go for an elevator ride, or back to camp, or swimming without you!

We just got back from RCI. The wristbands were put on immediately as we boarded the ship. My 3yo was hesitant at first, but when he saw his brother's it was ok. Later that day and a few other times, he wanted it off, but it was only a minor annoyance. He managed to keep it on the whole time. It was plastic--similar to a hospital band--and cleaned up easily. The adventure ocean people said to come to them if we needed a replacement.

So far we've only been on Carnival with our son but it was explained to us that the wrist/ankle bands are just in case of Emergency. We did ask if we could take it off since our son was too young to participate in Camp Carnival but most of the staff informed us that this is just in case we all get separated somehow or another.

Made sense to me so I didn't really question after that. Plus our son was okay with it on his ankle so we weren't too concerned.

Archived