Out of Gas?!

jammin

As if the people in Florida don't have enough problems, the Weather Channel just reported that Florida will soon run out of gas at fueling stations. The reporter said "Get it now, its going fast"

Good luck to all and God Bless

Was actually at a gas station that they had to shut off the pumps since they ran out... was about 15 people in line, plus a line down the street. With Port Canaveral closed, will be no more delieveries for quite some time. Hopefully, Tampa's port will be able to help with the extra demand.

Most stations immediately off I75 in Collier County are out of fuel although tankers were expected for some refueling (which cannot be guaranteed, of course). Compounded by the lack of available hotel rooms until you pass north of Tampa, there will be a lot of stranded people here. Shelters will, however, be open. For more information go to [url="http://www.colliergov.net/"]http://www.colliergov.net[/url] .

I live in Orlando and the lines are long and patience is thin. I lucked out and found a gas station on the way home from dropping family at a local hotel to wait out the storm since I have no more beds, luckily i came across a station that had regular gas but nothing else.

Please keep in mind, if you're members, Sam's Club and Costco for fuel in your travels. They often have larger holding tanks and get more regular refillls as they have a little more buying power than a small station. Just an FYI...

Doesn't seem to be anything around Ormond/Daytona Beach either. This storm couldn't have come at a worse time either. With the state 8 cent sales tax recall ending this past Tuesday, many Floridians pumped up and I think also saved up gas just for that one reason, along with the storm of course. Just made the run on gas worse since the 8 cent sales tax was ending right about the same time they were talking about landfall and problems with the storm.

The thing that gets me about this stuff is WE knew a hurricane was coming days before the gas ran out and everyone waits til the last minute.

I gased up on 8/31 only because I knew the 8cents gas tax was going to raise the gas up that much come Sept 1st. I have been watching the weather channel alot lately and see that they had to ration 10 gallons per vehicle until it ran out and now it's all run out.

Everyone who has lived in Florida for some time should know that plan ahead if it's hurricane season..don't wait til evacuation orders to gas up, buy batteries, buy water, etc...But everytime I watch TV I see the lines at Home Depot, etc...and am glad I am prepared and not having to wait in those long lines.

I've been in Jacksonville for 15 yrs and haven't had but a few scares with Floyd, etc...but I know once hurricane season is here it's time to prepare and once a hurricane is coming this way I make sure my gas tank is full all the time.

It is NOT a case of waiting until the last minute!m We just must continue to live until the last minute. At least in my part of Florida, (Orlando area) there is no way to get from near my home to anywhere I need to go except by car. So I must continue to use gasoline for things like going to work, going between locations of my work assignments, going to stores to get hurricane supplies and regular shopping, checking on my elderly parents and stuff like that. I generally have to fill my little economy car every 3 to 4 days. I also gassed up on August 31 and again on September 2 and now have less than 1/4 tank. For people who can get to and from work and whose jobs do not require much driving once they get there, filling early was an option. In addition, many who have to evacuate live more than one tank away from safety. Let's not blame the victims. We have enough to worry about without being frustrated over the lack of gasoline.

But people do wait til the last minute! My brother and SIL and nephew live in Melbourne FL....they knew the storm was coming there by Wensday so they packed up their stuff, protected their home and drove up here to Jacksonville on Thursday. They didn't wait for evacuation orders, they took it upon themselves to protect their family, gas up, and get out. That to me is a good thing. But when you wait til the day of evacuation to make plans then it may be too late.

The moral of the story is to be prepared before the storm hits. Get your hurricane supplies when hurricane season starts, not when the storm is bearing down on you.

And NOT everyone is waiting til the last minute either. What I'm saying is it is just smart to plan ahead and be prepared.

[quote name='hkolln']

The moral of the story is to be prepared before the storm hits. Get your hurricane supplies when hurricane season starts, not when the storm is bearing down on you.

You're so right! We get ready at the begining of every hurricane season with supplies and an evacuation plan if nessessary. We don't live right on the coast anymore, but we are in a mobile home so we don't take chances. We haven't had a major hurricane in quite a while, so we're due one. I hope it won't be "IVAN"! But if so, we're ready!
[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_2.gif[/img][/url]

Archived